English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 24 September 2006, 13:48   #1
jaycee

WinUAE and PPJoy

I tried to use WinUAE with an Amiga 4-player parallel port adapter, using the PPJoy driver to make it work. All would be fine, except WinUAE seems to think that the stick doesn't have a fire button!

The odd thing is, I don't think the stick is wrongly configured on PPJoy, as when you test the joystick in the standard Windows Game Controllers control panel, the fire button shows up.

Out of interest, does anyone know any other good adapters for Amiga/Megadrive joysticks ? Something USB based would be nice.
Old 12 October 2006, 20:25   #2
rsn8887

ppjoy works just perfect for me. I build my own parallel port adapter cable though, using the diagram found on ppjoy website. As far as I know, ppjoy is for sure the best (and probably only?) solution.

I got a couple of old competition pros from vintage gaming store in Washington to use with ppjoy. But I also re-soldered two of the new "USB Competition Pro" joysticks. I just yanked out the usb circuitry and soldered the micro-switches directly to a 9-ppin D type cable with female connector. Also works like a charm and even gives 2 distinct firebuttons (good for cd32).
I went to ppjoy after I realized that those new "USB Competition Pro" joysticks that you can buy online had a terrible lag.

Maybe the fire button is still wrongly configured, e.g. as button 2?
Did you mess around with input settings? I use compatibility mode. Maybe try switching off compatibility mode and manually setting the joysticks and keyboard up, using e.g. "configuration #1" in winuae input settings?

In general, one has to be careful about lag. Lag is terrible on some of the available USB adapters.
For example, in case you are interested (off-topic): After some bad purchases, I finally found a perfect lag free USB adapter for 2 simultaneous playstation controllers with working xp drivers that support everything (analog/digital/rumble etc.), it is "BNS DDR v3.1 Dual Player USB Converter for Playstation/PS2 to PC USB converter (Support DDR Combo Moves)", from http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo//VG-PS-USB2X1
Old 12 October 2006, 20:39   #3
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887
For example, in case you are interested (off-topic): After some bad purchases, I finally found a perfect lag free USB adapter for 2 simultaneous playstation controllers with working xp drivers that support everything (analog/digital/rumble etc.), it is "BNS DDR v3.1 Dual Player USB Converter for Playstation/PS2 to PC USB converter (Support DDR Combo Moves)", from http://www.buynshop.com/productinfo//VG-PS-USB2X1
Slightly off topic also but I've always found SmartJoy USB adapters for Playstation 2 and Xbox to be very responsive and no lag. Work perfectly in WinUAE and MAME32

Playstation 2
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...oducts_id=3172

Xbox
http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?cat...oducts_id=3174
(not sure where the 4 x adapter one that I have has disappeared to though)
Old 12 October 2006, 20:51   #4
keropi

I made this adapter my self, back when I had a pII/400 and used a real psx pad on psx emus... it worked great, also on every other emu/game, including winuae of the time...
Old 13 October 2006, 13:00   #5
jaycee

Quote:
ppjoy works just perfect for me. I build my own parallel port adapter cable though, using the diagram found on ppjoy website.
My cable is a premade one that I bought back when I had an Amiga. It definately works.

Quote:
Maybe the fire button is still wrongly configured, e.g. as button 2? Did you mess around with input settings? I use compatibility mode. Maybe try switching off compatibility mode and manually setting the joysticks and keyboard up, using e.g. "configuration #1" in winuae input settings?
The problem is there IS no fire button to be assigned - WinUAE seems to think the 'stick has the 4 directions and thats all. I plugged in a USB analog stick and it finds the buttons on that OK.

I wondered if it was a bug in PPJoy but it works perfectly with every other game i've tried.

I'll have to try again, there's been a WinUAE update since then I think...
Old 13 October 2006, 13:06   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

winuaebootlog.txt please.
Old 13 October 2006, 18:18   #7
rsn8887

are you emulating the parallel port? Since ppjoy is on the parallel port, I guess your virtual amiga should not have parallel port emulated. But that is the default in winuae anyways, so unless you changed those settings to have your emulated amiga be able to print, that should not be it.
Old 14 October 2006, 10:03   #8
stainy
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to stainy Send a message via MSN to stainy
Hey guys... sorry to hijack.. but I`m interested in this ppjoy, heard about it but never really thought hard enough to think I could use it...
WHat cable do I need or need to make to get one Amiga joystick working with Winuae??
cheers
Old 15 October 2006, 18:37   #9
rsn8887

here is the site with all the info and the xp drivers:

http://www.geocities.com/deonvdw/Docs/PPJoyMain.htm

You need to either buy an amiga 4 ply parallel port adapter cable (where to get that ancient thing, I don't know), or build one yourself. The diagrams are on the ppjoy site. The instructions are on the ppjoy site. In the left frame, click on supported interfaces, and then on amiga 4 player. The cable has a male db25 pin that plugs into your parallel port and two male db9 pin to which you can connect old amiga or atari joysticks (e.g. competition pro).

You can buy old Amiga/Atari joysticks from vintage shops. I got two competition pros from Vintage Fun World in Washington by mail order! But they were white/red, weird colors. Otherwise good.

Or you do as I did and buy the new Competition pro USB joysticks, rip out the sucky lagging usb circuitry and solder the microwsitches to a db9 female cable yourself. But that is a slight bit of pain. And if you do wrong, you might fry your parallel port by shorting it, I guess But if you do right, you can have a second firebutton if you want (those usb sticks actually have two small separate buttons apart from the main big ones).
Old 15 October 2006, 20:18   #10
jaycee

You can get joysticks on eBay still... ones marked as "SEGA Megadrive" will work fine with ppjoy (this is what my girlfriend has). The only thing is, only one fire button will work, usually the "B" one. You can always open the joystick up and resolder the connections I guess.
Old 15 October 2006, 20:36   #11
stainy
Zone Friend

I`ll be using my avatar controller done me ok since 1990 !!

red button is down btw
Old 15 October 2006, 20:38   #12
stainy
Zone Friend

So an old printer cable will do then ?? obviously I`ll be chopping off the centronics end.
Old 16 October 2006, 01:58   #13
rsn8887

But you will need to know exactly which wire color corresponds to which pin. I suggest buying these do it yourself db connector kids from an electronics store, or online. Then you can populate only those connections you actually need. And since you do it yourself, you will know which wire color corresponds to which pin on each side.