English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 02 October 2006, 00:53   #1
sanitystream

Why aren't disk swaps detected?

Hi all,

I'm running WinUae version 1.3.2 and having a devil of a time getting it to detect that I swapped a disk. If I play a multi-disk game, it will boot off Disk #1, then ask me to insert Disk #2 in the drive.

So I go into WinUae, hit "eject" on DF0, then select the next floppy image.

But when I go back into the game, it doesn't detect that I did a swap. It still thinks the wrong disk is in the drive no matter how many times I try to swap.

What am I doing wrong? This is so simple - yet so frustrating!

thanks in advance

Old 02 October 2006, 01:05   #2
Marcuz

check disk speed is no more than 100%, wait for winuae to aknowledge the disk change before to press anything.

some more info? does it happens with every game or with some only?
Old 02 October 2006, 02:20   #3
sanitystream

Quote:
Originally Posted by marco pedrana
check disk speed is no more than 100%, wait for winuae to aknowledge the disk change before to press anything.

some more info? does it happens with every game or with some only?

It happens with every game. And I checked the floppy speed is 100%. Just now I tried playing Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis. It ran fine until it asked for Disk #2. I then ejected disk #1, selected the image for Disk #2, and hit OK. The game tried reading it for a moment, then came back still asking for disk #2.

This happens with every game I play. I tried Flashback, no luck there either. The *one* time I got it to work I was just randomly hitting eject and OK several times, no rhyme or reason. I haven't been able to duplicate it.

Weird! No one else has this problem?

Old 02 October 2006, 10:02   #4
Konrad

Just want to mention, that alot of games require you to push a firebutton or space after a disc swap.
This doesn't apply to Indy4. But you write "the game tried reading it for a moment". Possibly the disc is corrupt, so the game won't accept it ?
Old 02 October 2006, 11:58   #5
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Yep i encounter the same pb too. many games have this pb. You have to insert and remove the disk so that winuae start to detect it.

it's a winuae related pb.... but i never tought about talking about it here.
Old 02 October 2006, 12:02   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlfrsilver
Yep i encounter the same pb too. many games have this pb. You have to insert and remove the disk so that winuae start to detect it.
It is not needed. (except if the game needs larger than about 1.5s delay between eject and insert)
Old 02 October 2006, 14:42   #7
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanitystream
This happens with every game I play. I tried Flashback, no luck there either. The *one* time I got it to work I was just randomly hitting eject and OK several times, no rhyme or reason. I haven't been able to duplicate it.
Hmmm, this is exactly what happened to another user here with regards to Flashback

Now I know this shouldn't make a difference but he was using the installed WinUAE and I was using the zipped WinUAE (see this post for more details http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=272438&postcount=15). Very strange indeed