English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 30 June 2015, 00:04   #101
Abaddon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomead View Post
Abandon, is the new version of the slave going to support other versions. I have two versions that are not supported by Jeff's slave. One is an original release and the other is a GHB budget re-release which are both in mfm format. Imager works with both. They maybe be both the same version not sure.
I will be adding support for the other versions to the 1 meg slave as well as updating 512k slave to support any unsupported versions. I have started adding another version to JOTD slave that Denis supplied. If you have an unsupported version upload it to the zone or email it directly to kkrellwi@gmail.com.
Old 02 July 2015, 18:24   #102
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
If you have an unsupported version upload it to the zone or email it directly to kkrellwi@gmail.com.
The GBH budget re-release I upped to the Zone a while ago is unsupported. I thought that was the re-release that Chris Vella had supplied Jeff until I tested it last night. Oh well, email sent.....happy patching!
Old 02 July 2015, 20:19   #103
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
the GBH version is in the pack i have uploaded few days ago
Old 02 July 2015, 23:52   #104
DrBong
HOL / AMR Team Member

No-one's actually specifically said in this thread that the GBH release is unsupported, and Keith has only mentioned working on support for the 1MB and compilation versions so far. I sent an email just in case - I'm sure his email box won't sustain any permanent damage!

I also investigated the DOS version of the original that Jeff presumably supplied and supported in his JST patch (which is the same as what he supported in his WHD patch IIRC, but only refers to Chris Vella's re-release in the readme). It doesn't work when you write the image in the WHD/JST archive back to disk and it's almost empty like the MFM version. Weird! I wonder where he sourced it from. I have a lot of Chris Vella's games on CD and James Pond isn't amongst them.

Last edited by DrBong; 03 July 2015 at 00:33.
Old 20 August 2020, 21:27   #105
jotd
This cat is no more

the collectors (chart attack) version of James Pond is SPS3016, and it's 512k

The 1MB version only differs by the intro. I wonder why the extra 512k is needed, but it's needed... Maybe to cache disk loading? Without it the game doesn't start.

To answer about the DOS version, Chris Vella provided it to me moons ago. It's empty because it only boots to load a small "guppy" file then it switches to hardware trackloading, like the MFM version. It looks like a re-release, or maybe a crack but there's no cracktro.

The tracks are $1600 bytes long but only $1400 bytes are used (to match the track layout of the MFM version that uses Atari ST format)

So I know of 4 original versions of this game (and my new whdload release supports all 4)
Old 23 August 2020, 03:56   #106
JohnnyWalker
aka ThunderPeel2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by jotd View Post
The 1MB version only differs by the intro. I wonder why the extra 512k is needed, but it's needed... Maybe to cache disk loading? Without it the game doesn't start.
As others have speculated, I would guess money was the overriding factor: Either they rushed out this new intro without worrying about 512K, or they thought it would be a selling point.
Old 25 August 2020, 10:10   #107
Fiery Phoenix

Also, whilst there is a nice animated intro (plus I think the addition of speech - hellooooo) the ending on this version is no different - annoying!