English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 24 November 2002, 21:27   #1
Jan

Question Monitor 1081 problem

Sometimes and without any warning my Commodore 1081 monitor completely loses its picture. It's like somebody pulled the plug, the screen goes black, but the sound still works. After punching and hitting the monitor a little (just a little! ), the screen often returns, but only to go black after a while again.

When I opened the case I noticed a spool which is glowing when the monitor works correctly, but once the screen goes black, the glowing stops. Somewhere in the monitor there must be a loose contact that is causing this picture failure. Somebody told me that this monitor has certain solder spots that often broke, which could cause this problem. But does anybody know where these spots are?

Maybe somebody has experienced the same problem on his monitor or just heard about this problem and can help me here?
Old 24 November 2002, 21:36   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Resolder line output transformer's connections (=large transformer that is connected to tube with fat red wire)

This is very very common problem..
Old 25 November 2002, 00:24   #3
LordBug

Be very careful playing near the fly-back transformer (the one Toni mentioned). It has about 15000 volts coming off of it. Some parts near it (like the capicitors) might be charged that high too. Let it sit unplugged for a few days before doing anything.
Old 25 November 2002, 02:00   #4
Jan

Yeah I have a lot of respect for these monitors . My uncle is an electrician and he told me that they sometimes even after days still contain enough electricity to blow your lights out forever . So I'll be careful, and thanks for your help .
Old 25 November 2002, 02:30   #5
Jan

Hmm, seems I need some more help as I can't figure out what Toni's referring to. I've attached a picture of my 1081, can anyone tell me what needs to be fixed?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dscf0007.jpg
Views:	559
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	4147  
Old 25 November 2002, 08:29   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Oops. It is gray not red wire. (I forgot because most tv's and monitor's use red wire) Follow the wire from tube's "suction cup"-connector and you'll find the transformer

Monitor is safe to operate if you don't go near the "suction cup"-connector. (it could still have 20+kv high voltage..)
Old 25 November 2002, 14:13   #7
Jan

Just to be on the safe side here

If I'm not mistaken, this should be the transformer, right?
And these...

...solder spots inside the square should be the ones that I have to re-solder? All spots? That's strange because I don't see anything broken there. Is it just that I have to put solder on all those spots again and everything should be fine?
Old 25 November 2002, 14:24   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
solder spots inside the square should be the ones that I have to re-solder? All spots? That's strange because I don't see anything broken there. Is it just that I have to put solder on all those spots again and everything should be fine?
Usually but not always there are visible circular cracks in solder. Resolder them and also look other nearby larger solder pads with magnifying class. (especially those that connect to heatsinked components)
Old 06 August 2015, 05:10   #9
e5frog
The Headstrong

Send a message via ICQ to e5frog Send a message via MSN to e5frog
Fixed one of those today, it was a 1081, it worked for about a minute or so then the glow disappeared from the neck and image slowly faded. Waiting a few minutes and turning it on made it work again - for about as long. Tried swapping PSU with a working 1081, and I thought the problem was fixed but after 10 minutes it faded down again just like before.

When inspecting the solder joint on this well screwed down flyback I saw several cracks around the pins after resolder I haven't had any problems for the last eight hours of on-time. Problem seems to be fixed.

Dripped some iso in the back pots an exercised them as well as there was some flicker when turning them. Final detail was adjustment of the neck rings, there was a little bleeding of colors.

Now everything is fine.