English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 08 December 2013, 23:28   #1
Viserion

Vampire 600 troubles

Have a bit of trouble with one of the Vampire 600 I got from Kipper2k.

I had gotten it working after a lot of trial and error, when I first got it.

Put it away for a week or two while doing other things, and got from a real 4gb 2.5 hdd to a CF card.

Problem is that the Vampire green light was on, and also weakly the red one, but when booting in os2 with green edition of ClassicWB, only standard ram was shown. The faster processor was not shown eiter in sysinfo.

Started to screw the screws more tight, without any success, and both leds on the board was dark.

Loosened it up again as I was worried I it was too tight, and wanted to avoid damaging the board.

Tried but it on and off several times, but with no success.

I had similar problems when I first got it.

Unfortunately the screwing and unscrewing of the screws made the slots, for lack of a better word, that originally was meant for the hdd tray became to wide, and now I can tighten the board of the side the socket that goes over the cpu is.

So anyone got an idea on how to fasten the Vamnpire without screws, and a trick or two on how it should be installed, so it works every time I boot it up.
Old 09 December 2013, 09:50   #2
lukassid

The only hope for you now would be to find cpu socket that sits on the 68000 nice and tight but doesn't go up. And send it back to kipper to replace that god damned socket. That's the joy of a600. Same socket can fit perfectly in one a600 and poping out in another.
Old 09 December 2013, 11:07   #3
Turran

I have the same problem. It did not "Click" on to the CPU as it should. I also have a 4MB Kipper2k expansion (that I removed) and it also does not sit too well, but it works anyway. Presumably because it is lighter and does not come off on its own.

IF I pressed really hard on the CPU with the Vampire on it, I could get it to work for a few seconds before it lost contact again.

When testing again later, the A600 would not boot at all anymore. I had to resolver all the joints on the CPU and it came back to life.

The Vampire still does not click on as it should, and I blame the CPU/Motherboard. Now looking for a new motherboard/A600 for it.

If it does say "CLICK" and stays on the bottom of the motherboard but still does not work, you may need to clean the CPU with IPA and a cotton pin (whatever they are called. Cleaning your ears) to get a better connection.

The screws are not really needed according to Igor. Should stay on without them.
Old 09 December 2013, 12:23   #4
Kehil

Sounds like micro cracks in A600 CPU soldering mentioned in ACA thread.
Old 09 December 2013, 13:34   #5
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

The adapter that will be used has spring loaded terminals that connect to the CPU. When these adapters are used their natural action is to very mildly scrape the top layer off the pins ( we are talking infinitesimal here ). Cleaning the pins of the CPU with isopropyl is a good start because that removes any contaminants. Resoldering the J legs is also a good idea but be careful not to wick the solder up the leg of the chips as this puts additional strain on the adapter pins and as solder is very soft, small flecks can scrape off and then deposit themselves between fine pitch pins causing shorts. These boards are getting old and their age is starting to show.
Old 09 December 2013, 16:57   #6
Viserion

Thanks to all who has given idea.

Will try the simplest first, and try IPA and clean it.

If that doesn't work I will try to resolder the cpu.

I really don't want to send it back, as Canada is very far away

Didn't know it was supposed to click in place without screws, as mine is very loose(or I'm not pressing it hard enough on).

Turran: I also have an 8mb board for a different A600. This is detected, but must use the screws or contact is lost. So looks like the same problem.
Old 09 December 2013, 17:25   #7
Turran

Yeah, its not like the Indivision AGA MKII. I can lift the Amiga with it if I try, when that has clicked in place =)
Old 09 December 2013, 19:18   #8
Amiga1992

I was told the same of the ACA620, that you can lift the Amiga with it when it fits. However it doesn't fit like that on my A600 and although it has a firm fit for everyday use, as I tour with the machine, whenever it gets into transit, the ACA620 snaps out of the CPU.

So I guess this varies from A600 to A600.
Old 09 December 2013, 20:20   #9
Viserion

If you can lift the whole thing that's indeed impressive.

Mine is very loose, and easily to lift off.

I also just now noticed that there is a bit of plastic missing in the socket.

It's just a chip really.

It's on the outer side left lower corner when you see it from the fpga side, and can read the text printet on the board.

Noticed the same with the memory board I also have for another a600.
Old 09 December 2013, 20:30   #10
lukassid

Yes, it's a must as there is resistor on the motherboard and socket wouldn't fit at all if not that chip. I advise against desoldering socket without gas soldering station. I destroy my vampire like that. Majsta had mercy and replaced for me. My Vampire collecting dust at the moment as it's not compatible with stuff I use. I'm waiting for new core.
Old 09 December 2013, 20:49   #11
Viserion

Looks like I have to contact Kipper2k about fixing the Vampire .

Tried with both A600 I have, and none of them will detect it.

Screwed it as tight as I dare, but no go.

The ram expansion is detected even without the screws on one Amiga(not tried the other).
Old 09 December 2013, 21:15   #12
protek
Amiga hobbyist

I've used nylon risers and screws to fix the board on the A600 motherboard.

Last edited by protek; 09 December 2013 at 21:32.
Old 09 December 2013, 21:41   #13
lukassid

what size risers?
Old 09 December 2013, 23:24   #14
Viserion

Protek: That is really a good idea, as lukassid I would like to know the size of the rizers.
Old 10 December 2013, 00:33   #15
protek
Amiga hobbyist

lukassid: 8 mm risers, although I've cut maybe half a millimeter off from top to make sure that the Vampire tightens properly. You also have to cut the external threads to fit the HDD cradle slots and make them shorter.
Old 10 December 2013, 00:45   #16
Amiga1992

I am thinking of bolting my ACA620 and nobody answered me regarding this. I think using the same risers would work. Thanks protek!
Old 10 December 2013, 03:31   #17
kipper2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by protek View Post
I've used nylon risers and screws to fix the board on the A600 motherboard.

is the board burnt above the CPU ?

There are differences between each cpu that cause some to be looser than others. Yours was the only one i sent out as i was waiting for screws to come. One thing i have noticed is that obviously constant reseating of the board will either cause cold solder joints on the CPU or weak pins. The sockets i am using work excellent on my a600 boards and on the Vampire they appear to be not as good, still have staying power but they don't appear to have the same "sticking" power.

When i clean the boards i use the dirtier of the isopropyl to get rid of most of the flux, then reclean using clean isopropyl. If there is flux residue left on the socket pins then there will be connection issues. Get some isopropyl and use a toothbrush and clean inside the socket thoroughly. Also clean off the CPU with a Q-tip.

When placing the board over the cpu, hold it over the CPU and then use 4 fingers and push down evenly and quickly to snap it in place... make sure it is even so you don't damage the pins. I think the board would benefit with a hole cut into it above the CPU to release the heat. I have a whole pile here ready to mail out and i have had a few issues with some of the boards popping off. They all were corrected by using the clean isopropyl and also checking the pins inside the socket, some of the pins would stick and not spring back out again after the board was removed. You can use a needle and Veryyyyyy gently tug on them to make sure they are free to spring back and forth.

Prolonged push/pulling of the socket will eventually cause a cold solder joint of the CPU. To repair this issue all you need to do is to use a generous amount of flux and a nice fine tipped soldering iron. after flux is applied around the CPU you just need to touch your iron onto the CPU pins... Do not apply solder to the iron, you are simply remelting the pins to restore a good connection.

using the plastic risers/spacers is also a good idea. I have mentioned this before in another thread somewhere. they are the same ones used for PC standoffs. find ones which are a little smaller than needed (about 0.450") and you can carefully cut the thread part of the nylon risers and then you have some choices to hold them in place...

You can glue them to the motherboard using hot glue making sure the glue does not affect the socket connecting, Or...

use the dremel or something to allow the thread part of the nylon spacer to fit through the board and you can use a soldering iron to melt it through the bottom of the board to hold it in place or just apply glue from the bottom. You would then use the regular PC case screw etc.

If you are lucky enough to get a good cpu then the socket should hold on without any screws like Igor mentioned. If you still have issues after this Viserion, msg me and we'll work it through.

The screws are not supposed to hold the board tight, they should be tightened only enough so the board cannot pop back up. Be careful that you do not overtighten and bend the board as that will cause connectivity issues

Last edited by kipper2k; 10 December 2013 at 14:23.
Old 10 December 2013, 11:05   #18
Turran

Found another A600 board but its basically the same there. I push it on all the way to the bottom, let go and it sits there for a second and then POPs off.

My vampire is in a box, unused right now. A bit sad.

Not that I blame Igor.. Not his fault. Just sad.
Old 10 December 2013, 12:44   #19
Loedown
Precious & fragile things

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turran View Post
Found another A600 board but its basically the same there. I push it on all the way to the bottom, let go and it sits there for a second and then POPs off.

My vampire is in a box, unused right now. A bit sad.

Not that I blame Igor.. Not his fault. Just sad.
Find out which sockets Kipper2K is using for his boards and replace the Vampire socket for that, constantly replacing the A600 board isn't the answer. Majsta will know for next time not to use that particular socket.
Old 10 December 2013, 14:11   #20
kipper2k

I was able to get a whole pile of sockets from Jameco in their clearance sale. I seen them advertised and bought only 20 just in case they were no good. Once i received them and tried them they didn't work that well, however... when i removed the 4 internal guide stops to allow the cpu to sit deeper in the socket it worked excellent, i bought the last 300 that they had and have been trying to find more.