English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 03 November 2014, 20:48   #1
DanielAllsopp

Super Cars II - iOS Remake

I've just posted a video of a very early WIP of my [ Show youtube player ] remake for iOS devices.

I'm currently in the process of building a new game based around SC2, using this engine and the original tracks as the basis but need some help with the graphics, hence my reason for putting this WIP out there.

Progress right now is slow, but I'd like to pick up the pace and have my dream realised, but I need the right people onboard to help

Old 04 November 2014, 10:37   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well it certainly looks exactly like the originals completely with the company logos I just can't imagine that this plays well on a mobile device though, the game especially in the faster races is all about ultimate precision and quick reflexes. You'd probably have to relax the side-bumping a whole lot and put in some kind of "car-straightening assistance".

"Harrison Ford" made me smile, was that in Supercars 1? I can't remember that.
Old 05 November 2014, 00:49   #3
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Course Record!
Old 07 November 2014, 10:15   #4
mrbob2

i would have the game have an "auto pilot" where your car drives round the track on its own (slowly) and your in control of the throttle and weapons. You can put your foot down on the straights and press an "overtake" button to get past other cars, but if you go to fast round a bend the car skids and you loose time etc

mobile touchscreen games are very fiddly, especially ones that require split second timing and as this game requires that constantly, the second you thumb or finger moves a milimetre away from the direction buttons, you have literally lost control.
Old 31 January 2015, 20:44   #5
Amigajay

Love to see this happen, hope you have the motivation and help to finish it!
Old 01 February 2015, 12:29   #6
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
"Harrison Ford" made me smile, was that in Supercars 1? I can't remember that.
He's in II, don't know about I. Nancy Allen too (an actress who appeared in Carrie and all the RoboCop films). They'd never get away with that today.
Old 21 June 2020, 17:49   #7
crimson_t1de

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielAllsopp View Post
I've just posted a video of a very early WIP of my [ Show youtube player ] remake for iOS devices.

I'm currently in the process of building a new game based around SC2, using this engine and the original tracks as the basis but need some help with the graphics, hence my reason for putting this WIP out there.

Progress right now is slow, but I'd like to pick up the pace and have my dream realised, but I need the right people onboard to help
Did this get any further DanielSAlsopp?
Old 28 July 2020, 13:17   #8
Goldbricker

Yeah I'd love to see progress on this too. Regarding the controls I reckon you could get away with just reading left or right swipe anywhere on the screen kinda like how they do with some of the ported shooters on iOS.
Old 28 January 2021, 18:26   #9
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I don't think it ever got off the ground sadly. You used to be able to see further details here...

http://www.the-snakepit.co.uk/supercars-ii-remake/

...but that's long dead with nothing stored in the Way Back Machine.
Old 28 January 2021, 18:29   #10
jotd
This cat is no more

there's always my java remake... good luck running it on iOS or Android though
Old 28 January 2021, 19:09   #11
DanielAllsopp

Hey all!

I still have this on my back burner, along with a multitude of other things. The latest version I had compiling had changed the scenery here with a snowy landscape, falling snow particles and the CPU cars moving and following their racing line.

I don't know when I'll be working on this again though, and as JOTD says, there's always his java remake, which I actually used for the track data on my version.

Once I get bored with learning 68k ASM I might pick it up again. I'll see if I can dig out another video with the latest version.
Old 28 January 2021, 19:42   #12
DanielAllsopp

Here's a couple of more videos; a couple from 6 years ago and amazingly one from tonight as it STILL compiles in the latest Xcode!

This one is a particle snow test, which also has all of my debugging info switched on: [ Show youtube player ]

This one is a test of some sky/reflection tests. Also has debugging on: [ Show youtube player ]

This was taken tonight, which has the CPU controlled cars following their race line: [ Show youtube player ]

As you can see, I was in the process of changing it from 'Supercars II' to a differently branded racing game called Monty Plant, based in 1962 with everyone driving around in MGB's.

Wayne Ashworth did some amazing pixel work on the new track and the cars themselves.

Last edited by DanielAllsopp; 28 January 2021 at 19:48.
Old 29 January 2021, 12:48   #13
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Great to hear that both projects are still alive and well.

I can't remember the last time I saw snow in a top-down game so don't have much to compare it to, but that looks very convincing/atmospheric. The presentation looks very impressive all-round really. As was said earlier, it's a tough call to make racing games fun and playable on this scale with touch controls so I really hope you manage to nail it.

Have either of you run into copyright issues? I know Ian Stewart bought back the rights to at least some of the Gremlin back-catalogue. I'm not sure where Super Cars fits in, though I don't blame you for playing it safe re: the name change. What's the significance of Monty Plant? I know what an MGB is so can see why the year is relevant.
Old 29 January 2021, 13:56   #14
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I like the snow! Really nice touch.
Old 29 January 2021, 16:45   #15
jotd
This cat is no more

superb remake. Hope it sees the light of day. I was struggling to complete mine back in 2006/2007, then I wanted to start a Gods remake, but I forced myself to complete it before I started a new project.

Too many unfinished projects before...
Old 16 February 2021, 18:58   #16
CaptainNow
Eleventh Hour Games

Wow!!

I have been thinking a lot about Supercars II lately, how odd I find this!
I was looking through the old graphic files again today actually, the tracks needed a lot of work, but that one test-track with the snow-ice really worked well!
It's nice to see the little MG cars up and running too!!

I really hope you finish this game and I hope we get a version that can be played on PC too (if at all possible?)

Keep up the amazing work