English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 31 December 2005, 05:58   #1
blade002
Zone Friend

Jay Miner - No one will ever know.

After seeing an Article yesterday about Bill Gates in Time magazine about what a great billionaire humanitarian he is ( took him his first 10 billion to do something!? ), it came to my Attention that when he dies, he will be considered THE Man that brought an operating system to the masses!.

He will be revered as the pinacle and the key figure in all of Personal Computing and anyone or anything that came before him will almost be deemed as non-existant!.

So where does that leave poor old Jay Miner?. A man who brought us a machine that was light years ahead of anything at the time, a machine with Vision, and the worlds first truly multitasking and efficient operating enviroment!.

When he died, i didnt find out from TV or the Newspapers or through any other Mass media!. I found out in an Amiga Magazine, which i suppose you could class as mass media, but where did you ever hear of his death outside of the Amiga Scene!?..

If you have money in this world, you'll be more remembered for your social and financial status, more so than your innovation and vision.

Yes Bill Gates had a vision, and i do commend him on following through with that vision, but there were other greats in the computer industry that Deserve just as much Merit, if not more than Gates ever should.

And one of those Men is Jay Miner.

RIP Jay.. your not forgotten.
Old 31 December 2005, 14:02   #2
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
Well said. I'm glad to own an Amiga
Old 31 December 2005, 17:18   #3
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
sad but thats the truth...

one more reason to own an amiga....
Old 31 December 2005, 18:33   #4
plasmatron
Zone Friend

Word !
Old 31 December 2005, 19:00   #5
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Bill Gates was a much more influential to a wider variety of computers well before the Amiga was out. For instance, the PET, VIC-20, Apple II, TRS-80, C64, PC, MSX, etc. all used his version of BASIC. Plus, I think what the magazine article is about is the charitable work that his foundation does which Jay certainly never had the money to do.

Nothing against Jay Miner, of course he did create the computer I love.
Old 31 December 2005, 19:01   #6
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

It just goes to show what is wrong with this world. If you're an evil money-grubbing parasite who ruthlessly squashes competitors while selling shoddy rubbish, you'll be rich and powerful and be called a "great man". If you're a friendly genius who makes wonderful innovative things that are way ahead of their time, you'll be forgotten.
Old 31 December 2005, 22:30   #7
Unknown_K

Send a message via ICQ to Unknown_K
The Woz of Apple fame will be remembered for a long time. I think the masses equate people who are very rich in the tech field as being the important ones instead of the people who actualy did the groundbreaking work.

Lets face it while a few geeks stare in amazement at the technical acievments of a few engineers/designers just about everyone else bows to the MBA types that happen to be owning or running the companies that strike it rich. This is why engineering enrollment is down (no respect, low job security, shitty pay) while business schools are packed.
Old 31 December 2005, 22:47   #8
adolescent
Powered by Motorola

Other names that really shaped the computing world, but are mostly unknown.

Robert Metcalfe
Ed Roberts
Forrest Mims
Chuck Peddle
etc...

Saying that Bill Gates doesn't deserve credit is wrong. Without his BASIC, there would have been no personal computer.
Old 31 December 2005, 23:53   #9
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

I admit that I overreacted slightly with my last post (trying to rid myself of years of building Microsoft hatred before the new year...). If Microsoft died back in 1985, I probably would have looked back on it with fondness. It is Microsoft's post-BASIC years and increasingly evil business practices that disturb me.

If you look at a list of so-called "great men of history" they are usually people who have ruthless ambition and don't care who they hurt to achieve their goals. If you met them, you'd probably think they were total assholes. Many times, their "greatness" comes from the work of the people they manipulate or control. Think of the millions of people throughout history who did amazing things, but it just wasn't publicised or others took the credit for it.
Old 01 January 2006, 00:55   #10
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by adolescent
Saying that Bill Gates doesn't deserve credit is wrong. Without his BASIC, there would have been no personal computer.
Read what i wrote again!. actually i will show you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes Bill Gates had a vision, and i do commend him on following through with that vision, but there were other greats in the computer industry that Deserve just as much Merit, if not more than Gates ever should.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nowhere in that did i say wholeheartedly that Bill DOESNT deserve credit!?.

I said there are other greats in the computer industry that deserve JUST AS MUCH Merit!. Yes Microsoft did come before most others, but that still does not change the fact that there were OTHERS that should be just as noteworthy!.

Your post is reactive!. you read something, and interpret it as something else, when its clear that its the opposite.

The computer industry from Bill Gates early days to what it is today has rested on its laurels!. Rather than there being TRUE proggresive advancement through Apple & Commodore, we have been left with something thats based on a 70's architecture with alot of tarted up pretty features.

We are supposed to progress in functionality. But Microsoft has blatently consumed its competitors, and even though i know this is life!. the big fish eat the little fish. Its still a fact that what we have today, should not be what we have today!.

Innovation is something thats been left behind on the road to mass corporate profit, and people like Jay Miner or whoever else came before or after Jay ( i understand there were other greats too ) need to be respected and acknowleged no matter how much Bill Gates first influenced technology!.

Yes, the Amiga failed. but if i had of been the head of Commodore back then and i knew the Amiga was going to fail, then i would have still gone ahead with it. because its being passionate and believing in your product that gets you the most respect, self dignity and self satisfaction.. as opposed to walking over your competitors, and people for whom you should respect.

Last edited by blade002; 01 January 2006 at 01:13.
Old 01 January 2006, 11:11   #11
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

You people are gay retards, not giving respect to the ultimate creative and marketing genius, Steve Jobs.

You and your piece of crap little penises.
Old 01 January 2006, 13:59   #12
blade002
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred the Duck
You people are gay retards, not giving respect to the ultimate creative and marketing genius, Steve Jobs.

You and your piece of crap little penises.
Yeah, Steve Jobs is another!. And how did you know my penis was so small!??.. have you been spying on me again!.
Old 01 January 2006, 18:11   #13
adolescent