Old 24 January 2014, 10:33   #21
Bastich

Hope you get the tunes you want
Amazing work
Old 24 January 2014, 13:01   #22
Greyfox
Pixel Blender!

Send a message via MSN to Greyfox
I've just send him the channels all separated in mp3 format, maybe someone will be able to do a remix with it with some drum and bass lol..
Old 24 January 2014, 13:46   #23
Grazey

Galahad

I've upped my Amiga WTSS MYST file and 68k source to the D-Bug forum

Take a look. I'll try and help if I remember how it all works... I'm pretty much 95% ST music ripping at the mo.

Phil
Old 24 January 2014, 16:00   #24
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I think there is probably enough info in that ZIP for Galahad, but it looks like the source code in that file is for making a MyST module which can be played with the EaglePlayer plugin rather how to play one. But I don't really know what it is I'm looking at.
Old 24 January 2014, 17:33   #25
Grazey

Indeed it does Alex.
But there's also an equ switch which allows assembly to a standalone file

So I'm sure with a bit of monam-ing you can extract the player

Kind of similar to ripping music from a game aka SNDH or exotica

Grz
Old 25 January 2014, 17:39   #26
roberthazelby
Amiga user since 1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunny View Post
Just had a listen to the ST's main theme and it is indeed awful! I only played the Speccy version where the theme tune was brilliant, which is odd as the ST's sound chip is very similar to the Speccy's.

D.
I simply don't have the skills to help towards this project, but put me down as another vote for trying to convert the Spectrum 128k music as opposed to the ST version.
Old 25 January 2014, 19:15   #27
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by roberthazelby View Post
I simply don't have the skills to help towards this project, but put me down as another vote for trying to convert the Spectrum 128k music as opposed to the ST version.
Tis in the hands of those skilled enough to want to try
Old 25 January 2014, 19:15   #28
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyfox View Post
I've just send him the channels all separated in mp3 format, maybe someone will be able to do a remix with it with some drum and bass lol..
Many thanks for doing that, your offer of graphics, if you want to do that, that would be great

I'm going to have to do an introduction sequence of some sort, including expanded credits, as its clearly gone beyond just me doing this now
Old 26 January 2014, 06:14   #29
Mark Wright

It's amazing what you forget after 20 years, isn't it?

It's also amazing how, in an instant, everything suddenly comes back to you. And when it does, it brings with it the realisation of how *bastard hard* everything is going to be!

Anyway, several hours later (having lost an argument with Linel's Sound FX: yeah OK, you're right, you *don't* load "datas" (which I have) but only "songs" and "instruments" (which I don't) so let me find and install a module ripper I've just remembered that saves both out, only to later discover a newer version of Sound FX that *does* load "datas" when it's too late) I now have my original YM/AY-emulating track loaded in with its clever, 4-mat style 64-byte looped square waves and white noise instruments.

I'd forgotten that, in order to make the arpeggio/vibrato/portamento effects sound authentic, I'd sequenced the track in double-time, so every pattern scrolls down the screen at break-neck speed. I also quickly realised I've forgotten everything else. This is definitely the best starting point though, so I'll step through it bit by bit, trying to remember how I put it together when I get more time - hopefully tommorow.

I intend recording the YM and AY originals and separating out the channels somehow (I haven't looked yet, but I'm guessing any decent YM/AY player or plugin will allow me to do this, otherwise I'll run them through emulators that *surely* have that option.) I will then remake it bar by bar in SoundFX.

EDIT: Oh. I've just remembered that, in a past life when I knew how to do such things, I had to hack the SoundFX playroutine to convert it from CIA/interrupt driven to, er, cycle-based(?) (i.e. so you could call it from a main-loop) and I've no idea if anyone else ever did the same and that the source is out there somewhere... This was the routine used for both the Magnetic Fields' Spaced Out disks featuring my stuff (which made my CIA-timing dependent tracks sound horrible). Can't remember if Spook enhanced it.. Not going to work.

EDIT: I've just remembered you can load SoundFX datas into MED and save them out as MODs... doubt my clever 64-byte looped waveforms will be respected...

EDIT: Can anyone point me in the direction of a ST/NT/PT MOD file that replicates AY/YM sounds? Maybe I could start with that instead? How much raster time is actually left for the tune? What about the MED playroutine? Arsebiscuits.

ANOTHER EDIT: This might sound mad, but could you "rip" and relocate the music from the ST version separately, and call it using the emulator routine that Mr Styckx wrote years ago? God knows where to find it (Aminet maybe?) but I seem to remember it being very efficient and effective in a kinda PlaySID / PlayAY way. Example here:

http://www.pouet.net/prod.php?which=50346

That way, you could have 100% authentic shitty ST sound with the option to toggle an enhanced version. Actually I might do a "period" piece, as if David Whittaker had been asked to convert it to Amiga using his trumpet sample in under an hour ;-)

Last edited by Mark Wright; 26 January 2014 at 06:22.
Old 26 January 2014, 12:34   #30
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Wright View Post
This might sound mad, but could you "rip" and relocate the music from the ST version separately, and call it using the emulator routine that Mr Styckx wrote years ago?
Yup. I helped Galahad track down the info he needs last week. There should be no need to rip anything just redirect all the existing writes to the YM addresses to the MyST emulator buffer. Bonus is that it will also handle the SFX.
Old 26 January 2014, 15:18   #31
Don_Adan

Attached (two songs) music can be used too.
Attached Files
File Type: lha WhereTimeStoodST.lha (12.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 26 January 2014, 15:37   #32
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Attached (two songs) music can be used too.

I'm hurting. All the notes are wrong.
Old 03 February 2014, 01:42   #33
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Just a polite bump.... any progress from anyone that showed a musical interest at all?
Old 03 February 2014, 23:26   #34
leathered

I'm sure this is all kinds of horrible to you tracker pros; but I've had this going for the last few nights. I haven't quite got the hang of the arpeggio, but it sounds reasonable with the instruments used. Not finished, if it helps, please feel free to use =)
Attached Files
File Type: zip WTST_mod.zip (21.8 KB, 117 views)
Old 03 February 2014, 23:54   #35
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by leathered View Post
I'm sure this is all kinds of horrible to you tracker pros; but I've had this going for the last few nights. I haven't quite got the hang of the arpeggio, but it sounds reasonable with the instruments used. Not finished, if it helps, please feel free to use =)
Thanks for the contribution, its much appreciated.

Without wanting to sound like a nasty old git, ideally what i'm after is one mod that sounds like a 1:1 conversion of the ST or even the Spectrum +3 original, and a proper Amiga sounding mod, i.e. going mental on nice drum sounds, clear samples and really going all out to make it a proper Amiga sounding tune that the original ST version could never have hoped to compete with.

Yours is somewhat in the middle, its certainly better sounding than the ST original, but its too chippy sounding for an all out Amiga module.

As far as i'm concerned, if someone does a mod that sounds nothing like the original but sounds great and fits the game, then i'm happy to use that, as not all Amiga versions of games were the same theme as the ST versions in any case.

So your efforts are much appreciated, if you feel like revisiting it and making it more busy and 'Amiga', then that would be great.
Old 04 February 2014, 00:25   #36
leathered

I think it's part of your job to be an old git; doing stuff like this in our free time gives us the right to be old gits. I will continue to mess around with it, but it's there to use if anyone finds it useful. I'm sure there is better in the works, including the all out Amiga version. This is a learning curve for me. =)
Old 04 February 2014, 01:01   #37
Amiga1992

I'm sorry I'm tied up to help you with this. If you're still looking for this after I return from Datastorm, I'll try to give you a quick hand!
Old 04 February 2014, 01:24   #38
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I'm sorry I'm tied up to help you with this. If you're still looking for this after I return from Datastorm, I'll try to give you a quick hand!
The more the merrier, if I get a load of tunes that are good, they'll all be included in some capacity
Old 04 February 2014, 08:41   #39
kamelito
Zone Friend

I very much like Gibs version of The last Sun. Michael are you interested?
Kamelito
Old 04 February 2014, 10:40   #40
Dunny

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamelito View Post
I very much like Gibs version of The last Sun. Michael are you interested?
Kamelito
I'd certainly like to hear what Gibs can do with a tracker

D.