English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 20 March 2005, 15:52   #1
Martin_L

AmigaOne + OS4

Anyone here own an A1 PPC macine with OS4?
Old 22 March 2005, 07:57   #2
Slayer
Amiga Member

I wouldn't bother asking such a Q here. Try more
specific forums.

The A1 etc is really only for die hard old school
Amiga users and incredibly insightful younger
individuals

heh

Old 22 March 2005, 09:36   #3
oldpx

I just built a WinUAE dedicated Shuttle XPC and I seriously think it's more amiga than any new line "amiga"s. Instant boot to os 3.x within a minute from turning on. %100 compatibility with old programs, nice case, no useless ppc hardware inside legacy hardware support like floppies and joysticks, hardware cheaper and easier to find, advanced winuae functions and a big plus: I didn't have to go through the torture of importing a motherboard!

Isn't OS4 running uae for old applications? (read: 98% of all apps or all the quality apps that are developed in the golden age of amiga.) Why bother when we have the best uae, winuae around?

Last edited by oldpx; 22 March 2005 at 09:42.

Old 22 March 2005, 09:37   #4
wlcina

yes, that "new" amigas have nothing with old-style amigas.
Old 22 March 2005, 10:32   #5
Pyromania

I have our local Amiga club presidents Amiga One. Amiga OS 4.0 is a damn nice update based on the Amiga OS source-code, it even has a early start-up menu and insert Workbench screen now. Check it out for yourself before you pass judgement. Oh and MorphOS running on my Pegasos II is nice too. I like them both.

Last edited by Pyromania; 22 March 2005 at 10:55.
Old 22 March 2005, 10:36   #6
wlcina

Sorry, I will never buy computer that is for example comparable with p4 1.5ghz 512 ram but cost 4x more! In this case IMHO Amiga does not means more than money... An amiga soul is missing!
Old 22 March 2005, 10:43   #7
Pyromania

I have a 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4 and Windows XP Media Center runs pretty slow at times, not that Amiga feeling if you know what I mean. It does render Lightwave 3D 8 animations fast though.
Old 22 March 2005, 10:47   #8
Slayer
Amiga Member

You guys are barking up the wrong tree... the A1 is not
an intrusion into your emulation experience...

it is a valid choice in the modern cpu market... all
machines start somewhere...

it's really just for us old school users who wanted to
see there Amiga go forward... I will not be emulating
an Amiga on it but I will at some stage cross compile
on it for the classic Amigas...

I do have 30 of them you know...

I don't understand the point you're making about the
A1 emulating the older Amiga... it's a modern machine
why the F shouldn't it? It's for people like yourselves
who want one modern machine to do it all... so there'll
be A1 owners who don't have a real classic machine
and nothing else... so, there you go...

and just remember,

"Amiga" as such is more about 'spirit' and a 'lifestyle'
than hardware...

adios :P
Old 22 March 2005, 11:05   #9
oldpx

What about software then?

Uses of amiga:
1- as a retro computer, games machine - WinUAE delivers this well enough.
2- as a multimedia development tool - no use to have an amiga without necessary software. Why doesn't <put whomever responsible here - i can't track the owners of os and hardware anymore> even use the word "adobe" or "macromedia"? Helloooo I want photoshop, not art effect crap!

So far modern amigas deny old software and the brand's value as a retrocomputer but can't meet the requirements of the second. I'm not buying this spirit shit anymore, I can build the machine, install the os but as long as I can't put it to any use it's worthless.

Old 22 March 2005, 11:18   #10
Pyromania

pxscroll, heard of Hollywood?

http://www.amiga.org/modules/news/ar...p?storyid=4570
Old 22 March 2005, 11:34   #11
oldpx

Pyro, thanks for the link but I'd much prefer industry standard software that is in development for many years, has large user base, help resources, guaranteed future support and updates.

Good work doesn't directly depend on the tool itself but when you're sprending you time and money to own and master a tool and are expecting profit in cash or otherwise, you have to make a decision between the established and new solutions. And don't read "established" simply as popular, they are the tools people have learned for years.

From my point <Hollywood vs. Director = Director wins easily> (if this is the right comparison) Again I don't mean that tool is useless, art effect isn't useless but it just cannot make someone drop fireworks or photoshop. There are already good programs that should be ported.

I promise I'll get a new "amiga" computer if it has any 3 adobe or macromedia tools or a post 8 version of lightwave and is affordable than at least a mac. That's a reasonable thing to ask for but I don't expect it to happen anytime. That's why I'm negative, not for the sake of bashing something.

Old 22 March 2005, 12:02   #12
buckrogers

I agree mostly with pxscroll (except for the sheep thing). I recently posted somewhere else that the A1 is not an alternative to classic amiga computers, but the mainstream x86 PC. This should be obcious given that the A1 is not compatible with classic amiga software (with the exception of some apps). I see little point in buying an A1 when an x86 PC has a much more advanced version of UAE, since emulation of classic amiga stuff is one of the main uses of a computer for me. Until OS4 will allow me to do what I presently do on an x86 PC, there is no point in investing so many dollars. At the same time, I appreciate the work of beta users and developers, who make take the A1 there one day. Give me good classic emulation, other emu's, mozilla, and then we can start talking.
Old 22 March 2005, 13:17   #13
Martin_L

some good points there. AOS4 does have UAE and MAME but i dont know how good they are.
I cant afford an A1, so ill probably buy a cheap x86 system instead and run WinUAE and Linux
Old 22 March 2005, 13:46   #14
manicx

Just curious about that: How many people who take the piss about OS4 have actually see OS4? Personally I can't express an opinion because I've never seen it but I've worked with Pegasos and it's really a nice Amiga-based platform.

I also wonder what would happen if Commodore was not dead and was releasing a PPC Amiga in mid 90s. I also remember being in WOA99 where people were arguing all time about Amiga's decision to drop QNX. There are times that I feel as if the Amiga's biggest curse were its own users.
Old 22 March 2005, 14:25   #15
buckrogers

I have seen OS4 in action at my local amiga club. E-UAE lacks a GUI and from what I gather is not as compatible as winUAE. I am excited about the prospects of an amiga based multi-tasking OS. There's just no point in putting cash towards it now when I would still make far more use of my PC. I want it to be able to replace my PC for most practical purposes before buying. As for hypotheticals, was the fate of the amiga as we knew it inevitable given the market forces?
Old 22 March 2005, 17:25   #16
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer
The A1 etc is really only for die hard old school Amiga users
I do not agree with this. A die hard OLD SCHOOL Amiga user will want a Classic Amiga. This is for the "current school" Amiga zealot, and those with a curious mind and will to try an alternate to the x86/Mac world.

I agree completely with pxscroll and find this to be a computer that falls short of everything. It has no compatibility with legacy Amiga hardware, and it doesnt have the needed apps to make it a REAL alternative to the x86/Wintel setup. As it is, the ONLY alternative to the Wintel setup is the Apple one, since it's he ONLY other platform that has the necessary support with established apps like the Adobe and Macromedia suites.

This is a fact, and it's foolish to deny it. No one says you CAN'T use an A1 but personally I rather have the support, I cannot afford having to use a non-standard program in my work. Yes I could use GIMP instead of photoshop, but no thanks, it's not affordable.

As a hobbyist computer, it's ok (a hobbyist willing to spend loads of money, though!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx
I also wonder what would happen if Commodore was not dead and was releasing a PPC Amiga in mid 90s. I also remember being in WOA99 where people were arguing all time about Amiga's decision to drop QNX. There are times that I feel as if the Amiga's biggest curse were its own users.
If you* are a brand fuckhead like those who cum all over the screen when they read the word Commodore (see: Lemon64), you would be pleased. Personally I don't give two shits about the Commodore brand, it's all about the machine. I would have abandoned the platform nonetheless, remember people have moaned even with the slight incompatibilities that KS2 and KS3 brought, imagine switching to a machine that has almost zero compatibility?
Apple solved it easily with the switch to PPC since all they had to do is emulate the 680x0, in the case of the Amiga it gets more difficult and it would be hard to implement system-level emulation of the system, like the Classic environment in OS X.

(* with YOU I mean anyone, not manicx. I clarify this because I can see manicx's flame coming up :P)

Last edited by Amiga1992; 22 March 2005 at 17:31.
Old 22 March 2005, 17:45   #17
manicx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
If you* are a brand fuckhead like those who cum all over the screen when they read the word Commodore (see: Lemon64), you would be pleased. Personally I don't give two shits about the Commodore brand, it's all about the machine. I would have abandoned the platform nonetheless, remember people have moaned even with the slight incompatibilities that KS2 and KS3 brought, imagine switching to a machine that has almost zero compatibility?
Apple solved it easily with the switch to PPC since all they had to do is emulate the 680x0, in the case of the Amiga it gets more difficult and it would be hard to implement system-level emulation of the system, like the Classic environment in OS X.

(* with YOU I mean anyone, not manicx. I clarify this because I can see manicx's flame coming up :P)
No worries Akira, I see what you mean and I see your perspective. However, you can't proclaim that Commodore wouldn't come up with a solution regarding PPC. You mentioned Apple but the Amiga team has been 10 times more capable of delivering proper hardware than them. The problem with Commodore was that they went f**k all in financial terms and could do very little to develop that hardware. Ideas-wise, they were stars... I believe that even if they were around and were moving towards PPC or even better Coldfire, everything would still be an Amiga. You see everything from a retrospective which is understandable, but when I was going to all these Amiga shows in the late 90s, 90% of the people breath for a new Amiga model. Unfortunately for them, that model came out so late, that nobody can be arsed spending bucks for that. In the last couple of months, I spend nearly 500 euros to change every single capacitor and all crappy stuff in one of my beloved A4k + bought a new TFT monitor. I would never buy an A1 for the same money even though my dream was a new Amiga...
Old 22 March 2005, 17:58   #18
Martin_L

I think the work hyperion are doing with OS4 is great but I think Amiga Inc's biggest potentional market is going to be with mobile systems, PDA, Smart Phones etc.
but i wouldnt suprize if they dont acheive any status.
Id like OS4 to be a great desktop OS like linux but i dont think its gonna happen.
not unless they let you build your own system instead of using A1 etc. and buy the OS separately

commodore brand has nothing to do with the Amiga spirit!
Old 22 March 2005, 18:26   #19
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by manicx
No worries Akira, I see what you mean and I see your perspective. However, you can't proclaim that Commodore wouldn't come up with a solution regarding PPC. You mentioned Apple but the Amiga team has been 10 times more capable of delivering proper hardware than them.
You have to realize, that Apple's solutin regarding 680x0 compatibility oin PPC machiens was SOFTWARE-driven, not at hardware level! All the OS that run under PPC (OS8.1 and up) had system-level emulaiton of the 680x0 CPU, in some sort of JIT thing or something. This would be very hard to implement regarding the Amiga, since it is a MUCH MORE COMPLEX machine.

I don't think Commodore would have found a PPC solution that retained almost full compatibility with legacy Amiga stuff. I was still very supportive of Amiga Inc. in 1997, but I really got fed up and I never understood completely the whole new machine stufff. I always took for granted that EVERYTHING of the old Amiga would run in my new PPC machine! When I realized it was not the case, I abandoned the ship.
Old 22 March 2005, 21:43   #20
wlcina

Akira is right. Ideal machine (for me) will be a board, where will be inserted classical PC components (p4 3.2ghz hdd,fdd,usb etc) and a board of classic amiga 1200 with turbocard and accessories. you are running windows, and when you click amiga icon, the amiga board activates , boots and working in window (or fullscreen). sharing the monitor/fdd/cdroms/usb/net/printers/etc.. but not a hdd and ram (of course) - this is not an emulation but coexistence of 2 systems ;-) I think and hope - that is technically possible. THATS I WANT, not an incompatible A1