English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 April 2012, 19:45   #41
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Can anyone duplicate following:

2.4.0 or 2.4.1b1: fastest possible CPU + low latency vsync works as expected.
2.4.1b2 and later: SND% is not stable at all and for example sysinfo shows much slower results. (even without sound enabled)

I can't see anything obvious except d3d texture size changes (to smaller size!) that shouldn't have any effect.

EDIT: I think I found the problem (This probably didn't always happen, depending on CPU and GPU speed)

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 17 April 2012 at 19:09.
Old 18 April 2012, 06:34   #42
Mequa

2.4.1 looks like an excellent update. I noticed a lot less slowdown than 2.4.0 when using new Vsync with fastest possible CPU in both windowed and fullscreen modes.

One bug I noticed in 2.4.1 beta compared with 2.4.0:
When using resolution autoswitch option with Exile AGA (possibly other games too), the screen keeps flashing black and everything slows to a crawl - presumably it is constantly trying to switch the resolution back and forth. This bug only occurs in PAL mode, NTSC works fine.
Old 18 April 2012, 11:03   #43
OSH

Toni you are one of the few people, who works with real passion, not for money...
Old 18 April 2012, 14:41   #44
Mequa

I tried the latest 2.4.1 beta with Cloanto's Amiga Forever 2012 - they still haven't officially updated from 2.3.3. Perhaps they had some issues with 2.4.0 which 2.4.1 may address?

I didn't notice any issues using the beta with Cloanto's RetroPlatform, however I noticed the horizontal centring is slightly off with Amiga Forever's setups.
I'm not sure if this is due to changed configuration format or a bug, but I'm sure Cloanto will appreciate a fix if it is the latter case.

Edit: Cloanto uses manual positioning for most setups - the A1200 one shown has horizontal position set to 260. Changing this to 292 fixes it with WinUAE 2.4.1 - not sure if this is Cloanto's job though, but it seems there has been a change, and it would be nice for them to 'officially' upgrade to 2.4.x series...

P.S. Just tested, this issue does not occur in 2.4.0 (that is positioned the same as Cloanto's "official" 2.3.3), so was introduced in 2.4.1 beta series (i.e. this is on the correct thread!)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WinUAE241_AF.png
Views:	401
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	31304  

Last edited by Mequa; 18 April 2012 at 15:01.
Old 18 April 2012, 17:22   #45
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mequa View Post
2.4.1 looks like an excellent update. I noticed a lot less slowdown than 2.4.0 when using new Vsync with fastest possible CPU in both windowed and fullscreen modes.
This still needs some tweaking (probably forever..)

Quote:
One bug I noticed in 2.4.1 beta compared with 2.4.0:
When using resolution autoswitch option with Exile AGA (possibly other games too), the screen keeps flashing black and everything slows to a crawl - presumably it is constantly trying to switch the resolution back and forth. This bug only occurs in PAL mode, NTSC works fine.
Not a new bug but something that wasn't as easily visible previously. (Again..)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OSH View Post
Toni you are one of the few people, who works with real passion, not for money...
Perhaps but sometimes I am not sure if it is worth the trouble...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mequa View Post
I tried the latest 2.4.1 beta with Cloanto's Amiga Forever 2012
Don't do it. Only those that are officially released with AF are supported and I ignore everything related to AF unless it comes directly from Cloanto. (AF requires some changes, 2.4.1 won't be directly compatible, it is being worked on at the moment)
Old 18 April 2012, 17:46   #46
lifeschool
Local Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Perhaps but sometimes I am not sure if it is worth the trouble...
I love the time and trouble you go to to support all us Amigans! I'm sure I'm not the only one who is eternally grateful for WinUAE since I had to sell my old A1200's a few years back. The package has certainly (almost single handedly) has kept the Amiga dream alive all these years, and without it sites like this wouldn't be anywhere near as busy.

If it was about the money I'd say why not do a Kickstarter project for V2.5 - they absolutely throw money at these projects and every Joe is running a kickstarter nowadays it seems - but I won't insult your intelligence by mentioning money again.

Perhaps what would be helpful to you would be to look forward to some kind of 'final' release. I know that sounds impossible at the moment because there are so many new features you've crammed into the package and all need fixing and sorting out. But I can't help feeling that working towards some kind of 'final' release would give you a goal - a light at the end of the tunnel - and when it's done you can sit back and relax a few months/years and reap the rewards.

Otherwise you could keep on adding features and bug fixing and you may burn yourself out and start to resent the project - and I'm sure nobody wants to see that happen - not after all these years you've put into this.

Old 18 April 2012, 18:00   #47
lilalurl
Global Moderator

Send a message via ICQ to lilalurl
Sorry for the off-topic but:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeschool View Post
If it was about the money I'd say why not do a Kickstarter project for V2.5 - they absolutely throw money at these projects and every Joe is running a kickstarter nowadays it seems - but I won't insult your intelligence by mentioning money again.

Anyone can donate through the winuae website (link just above News):
http://www.winuae.net/

Not sure how much Paypal takes for fees, but it will probably be less than Kickstarter:
Quote:
What fees does Kickstarter charge?

Kickstarter collects a 5% fee from the project’s funding total if and only if a project is successfully funded. Amazon (our payments processor) also charges credit card processing fees that generally work out to 3-5%.
Also, unless there is some other clause for non-US citizens:
Quote:
Am I eligible to start a Kickstarter project?

To be eligible to start a Kickstarter project, you need to satisfy the requirements of Amazon Payments:
Be a US resident and at least 18 years of age with a social security number (or EIN), a US bank account, US address, US state-issued ID (driver’s license), and major US credit or debit card.
Please note that anyone, anywhere (with a major credit card) can pledge to Kickstarter projects.
We’re working hard to open up to more countries. If you’ve been waiting, we really appreciate your patience.
http://www.kickstarter.com/start
Old 18 April 2012, 18:34   #48
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

offtopic: I'll move above posts (and this) to some other thread if people seem interested enough.

Seriously, I'll do this as long as it is interesting, money won't buy real interest anyway.. I think the only thing that requires some kind of bounty or something is: CD32 FMV cartridge emulation. It is mostly useless and it isn't trivial at all. But it would be fun.
Old 18 April 2012, 18:39   #49
FrodeSolheim
FS-UAE Developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Seriously, I'll do this as long as it is interesting, money won't buy real interest anyway..
No, I don't think money will help in that regard, but I made a donation anyway, as a token of appreciation for your stewardship of UAE for the last few years

Last edited by FrodeSolheim; 18 April 2012 at 18:44.
Old 18 April 2012, 19:11   #50
lifeschool
Local Moderator

^ I just donated too. Great idea Frode. Just wanted to share my support. Sorry to use up blog space. Please move these comments to 'WinUAE Appeciation Society' or something.
Old 18 April 2012, 19:21   #51
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_2410b7.zip

Beta 7:

- DirectDraw full-window mode on non-primary monitor was blank.
- Adjusted (again) fastest possible CPU mode extra CPU time scheduling, trying to find balance between better timing syncronization and not causing unnecessary slowdowns on some systems..
- OCS Denise bug emulation update, PAL STREQU counts are 8 (short field) or 9 (long field) lines, not static 9 lines. (Probably no program cares)
- F11 in gameports/input test mode shows next page (if list is longer than visible area).
- Manual display positioning X coordinate offset fixed (Filter panel or gfx_center_horizontal_position) Origin should be hardware position 0 (same as sprites), not first possible visible position.
- Fastest possible low latency vsync should work better again (b2), plus some other adjustments done, CPU throttling supported.
- Autoresolution worked badly in some situations.
- Removed USB_DEVICE_ID_RETRO_ADAPTER from USB "quirks" list, apparently it is working correctly according to firmware sources. (Perhaps older version was wrong, not exactly sure why it was included in Linux HID quirks list)
- Save also selected monitor name (gfx_display_name) to config file because order of displays can change when removing or adding monitors or replacing display cards.

(and thanks to 2 posters above)
Old 19 April 2012, 23:07   #52
gicgioc

crash

using d3d filtershaders with this new beta 7, cause crash

Old 20 April 2012, 08:33   #53
Mequa

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicgioc View Post
I get the same issue.
Old 21 April 2012, 02:59   #54
rsn8887

It is a bit hard to describe, but b7 broke at least the game Hyperdrive for me.

In b6, A1200 fastest possible low latency vsync, the game runs perfectly.

In b7 the player space ship sprites flickers and moves much more jerkily and flickery. Happens both in Direct3D and Directdraw modes.

Config and log files attached.

Since the graphical effect is hard to describe, I uploaded movies of the flickery b7 gameplay here:
www.coolatoms.org/output.avi (~6 MB)
And a movie of the 100% correct b6 gameplay here:
www.coolatoms.org/output_b6.avi (~6 MB)

I think I have also seen other occurences of flickering in beta 7 during regular WB usage and screen flipping etc but that seems harder to reproduce.
Attached Files
File Type: zip configandlogs.zip (15.4 KB, 270 views)
Old 21 April 2012, 08:06   #55
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by gicgioc View Post
It does..

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
It is a bit hard to describe, but b7 broke at least the game Hyperdrive for me.

In b6, A1200 fastest possible low latency vsync, the game runs perfectly.
Unfortunately this is yet another victim of fastest possible CPU mode updates. It was never meant to used with games that depend on timing too much but unfortunately old one was quite bad which made it too "compatible" and here is the result

Now even tiny adjustment can change behavior of some games..
Old 21 April 2012, 11:59   #56
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_2410b8.zip

Beta 8:

- 68EC020/68020 state files didn't load properly if current CPU config didn't match.
- Adjusted JIT timing a bit, possible fix for slowdowns on some systems.
- Made sound sync a bit more aggressive. (2.4.0 relaxed it a bit too much, I think)
- D3D crash fixed (b7)
- CIA related rare statefile CPU TRACE error fixed.
- Crash fixed when CDFS CD drives enabled without any harddrives.
- Disable USB HID RAWINPUT (Fallback to Direct Input) if "blacklisted" devices found, added RM-203 USB adapter to list because it requires calibration which WinUAE can't support.
Old 21 April 2012, 12:47   #57
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae_2410b9.zip

Beta 9: (quick fix because this can be very annoying)

- Fixed D3D texture reallocation ordering. Caused blank screen or other strange side-effects (b7)
Old 21 April 2012, 16:34   #58
rsn8887

I think I can make a proper statement about mouse pointer motion now:

For me, in A1200 fastest possible modes, mouse pointer motion is smooth in b6, and jerky in b7+ (b7-b9).

Using fastest possible A1200 low latency vsync mode. For log files and config, see my last post (making the hyperdrive tests led me to notice the effect).

I tried to record a avi video of it, but in the video mouse pointer always moves smooth and very fast?!?

The jerkyness goes away completely when switching from fastest possible to approximate A500/A1200 speed.

Did something that was introduced in b7 mess with sprite movement smoothness? I do notice similar jerkyness in the hyperdrive space ship motion. That jerkyness didn't show up in the videos I posted though (only the flickering shows up in the avi, not the jerky motion for some reason).

EDIT: In order to test I simply booted into a cli window. Turning sound on/off makes no difference. Direct 3D/Directdraw, no difference. CPU idle, no difference. Scanlines/Double, no difference. It maybe seems better with neither doubling nor scanlines, but the screen is very squished making it hard to tell. USB mode on/off, no difference.

Quick way to tell: In b7+, the mouse pointer also jumps up and down vigorously when dragging the workbench screen up and down. In b6 it moves smoothly. It doesn't quite stay on the screen title bar, buit doesn't jump. When I turn off low latency vsync, the motion in b7+ is much smoother, maybe even as smooth as in b6 with low latency vsync on.

EDIT 2: Line/Double etc. does NOT make a difference. However, I can make the mouse pointer in b6 similarly jerky when I set CPU speed to -10% or lower. It becomes very jerky then. Only CPU speed 0% works perfectly in b6 (the default). In b7 even cpu speed 0% is jittery. In both b6 and b7, setting CPU speed to anything else then 0% also messes with the fps counter more or less (jumps to 68 or so fps and constantly changes, even though it should be flat 50).

Last edited by rsn8887; 21 April 2012 at 17:03.
Old 21 April 2012, 16:49   #59
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsn8887 View Post
For me, in A1200 fastest possible modes, mouse pointer motion is smooth in b6, and jerky in b7-b9.
Test using some demo with horizontal scrolling, the bigger the scroller the better. It is much better vsync test. (Any jump is very easily noticeable and easier to duplicate than manual mouse movement)

Also always test all buffer modes (no, double, triple)

EDIT REPLY: I meant display panel display buffering mode (Display panel, top), not line doubling modes.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 21 April 2012 at 17:20.
Old 21 April 2012, 17:44   #60
rsn8887

Horizontal scrolling is perfectly smooth in any case. I see this jerky motion effect only with mouse pointer (and space ship in Hyperdrive but might not be related).

Selected buffer modes (no double triple) make no difference. Switching low latency vsync off makes mouse pointer smooth again.

Horizontal scrolling does become jerky however when setting CPU speed to anything less than 0% (logs for setting of -10% attached)
Attached Files
File Type: zip winuaebootlog.zip (6.3 KB, 276 views)

Last edited by rsn8887; 21 April 2012 at 17:55.