English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 31 October 2023, 19:26   #21
kremiso

triple A release, still trying invane to make it crash

about the old non pal Classic crack, i remember some gfx glitches triggered when at the half (sort of) of first level, if played on different kickstart than 1.2/3
Old 31 October 2023, 20:17   #22
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by kremiso View Post
about the old non pal Classic crack, i remember some gfx glitches triggered when at the half (sort of) of first level, if played on different kickstart than 1.2/3
It should be double checked whether the method they used may have any side effects in some situations.
Mine doesn't have any because it leaves complete freedom for the code to do 'his own thing'.

In any case I don't think that at the time they cared much about making it work in all possible KS, chipset, memory or processor configurations, the important thing was to do a speed release
Old 31 October 2023, 20:27   #23
demoniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ross View Post
Ah! Just noticed the release on the Flashtro site: https://flashtro.com/flasht-ross-the-plague/ (thanks mus@shi9, I thought you were on holiday ).
Nice one! I saw the Flashtro page earlier and was wondering why the release hadn't shown up on EAB. I'll check this out later. I never got into the game when it was released.
Old 31 October 2023, 21:04   #24
kremiso

Quote:
...In any case I don't think that at the time they cared much about making it work in all possible KS...
absolutely
i was indeed thinking protection wise, like a different hardware setting triggering it
Old 31 October 2023, 21:50   #25
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
I think I used everything, up to the last byte of the 512KB available (and used a lot of tricks..).

I have absolutely no doubt about this. Good stuff, definitely not easy to do. I will check your version to see if you have used similar tricks that I had in mind.
Old 31 October 2023, 21:52   #26
UrBi

Quote:
I have no idea, but the way it's integrated into the code it looks like something the lead programmer of the game inserted.

Basically it is very simple and therefore very easy to confuse as part of the game code (to disable its functions I simply changed a bit ), but it is its 'lightness' that makes it lethal.
Virtually no one thinks that video glitches could be a form of protection, especially if sporadic as in this case, but you always think of your own mistake in cracking the code.

Only by investigating more in depth how it is 'enabled' will you understand perfectly that it is a precise choice and with 'camouflaged' activation (of course there is a code check at the base, but the 'development' is original and requires good knowledge of the Amiga system).

However, even the 'strange' track 42 is not an everyday thing, so you realize that you are dealing with someone who knows how Amiga metal works.
So you've met a worthy opponent. The guy knew what he was doing. He had a lot of knowledge about how Amiga hardware works and Amiga programming, and he knew how to use it.

Last edited by UrBi; 31 October 2023 at 22:00.
Old 31 October 2023, 22:19   #27
Don_Adan

Good job. Now time on the hardest challenge. 2 disks version crack like original
Old 31 October 2023, 23:05   #28
ross
Defendit numerus

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
I will check your version to see if you have used similar tricks that I had in mind.
Yeah, great!, let me know what you think of it (I should have kept a diary for all the little things I modified, deduplicated, merged, corrected, improved..).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Adan View Post
Now time on the hardest challenge. 2 disks version crack like original
Ahahah, right.
Paradoxically, the fact that I immediately focused on the success of a single disk version (which is already an excellent achievement in itself, it was just a bet initially and I couldn't be sure until not too long before the end of the crack) allowed me to be able to further reduce it (I thought of every choice to reduce disk space).
So it's true, probably two disks would be a bit more complex (but boring!), anyway of course doable (NO! I won't do it! ok for challenges, but this would be too idiotic )

Last edited by ross; 31 October 2023 at 23:24. Reason: phrase fix..
Old 01 November 2023, 00:09   #29
Retroplay
Lemon Curry ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomcat666 View Post
Are you sure the full screen pal version is supported? All i tried are the ones with huge black borders... unlike the new flash adf version.
Yes, I'm sure.
PAL and NTSC versions is supported by latest slave.
https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turransearch...0&httplinks=on
Old 01 November 2023, 00:13   #30
Estrayk

Amazing ross !!!
Old 01 November 2023, 03:11   #31
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroplay View Post
Yes, I'm sure.
PAL and NTSC versions is supported by latest slave.
https://ftp2.grandis.nu/turransearch...0&httplinks=on

The PAL Rainbow Arts version seems buggy though with the latest slave.

http://mantis.whdload.de/view.php?id=6253
Old 26 March 2024, 20:51   #32
forbet

Thanks a lot, great Game