English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 27 April 2024, 20:48   #1
Photon

Did you know all Amigas support 3 buttons? :)

I wrote an article on Coppershade as food for thought for gamers, Amiga game and emulator authors, and perhaps also crackers and WHD slave authors.

What do you think? Should an effort be made to at least provide new games and new WHD slaves with perhaps the most sought-after request (by me, at least): allow button 2 instead of up for jump - and button 3 for games that can use it?
Old 27 April 2024, 22:40   #2
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Powder do supports three buttons, not sure if is in the same way though
Old 27 April 2024, 23:26   #3
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

As an arcade joystick lover, I would appreciate multiple button support by default.

In the other hand BitD, competition pro/quickshot or speedking joysticks like were the most used ones and thus it was difficult to use more than one button when you had to hold the joystick in your hand. I believe this implied development choices.

Old 27 April 2024, 23:39   #4
Cylon

There are no 3-button-joysticks.

Only the CD32 pads and MegaDrive controllers.

New stuff not included.
Old 27 April 2024, 23:44   #5
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylon View Post
There are no 3-button-joysticks.

Only the CD32 pads and MegaDrive controllers.

New stuff not included.
There was the homebrew joystick me and my friends made using arcade components
Old 27 April 2024, 23:47   #6
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
As an arcade joystick lover, I would appreciate multiple button support by default.

In the other hand BitD, competition pro/quickshot or speedking joysticks like were the most used ones and thus it was difficult to use more than one button when you had to hold the joystick in your hand. I believe this implied development choices.

I have a speedking with 2 buttons. since 1991
Old 28 April 2024, 00:01   #7
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
I have a speedking with 2 buttons. since 1991
Now that you mention it, I remember a friend of mine having one, but cannot remember if the second button was also fire or could be used distinctly.
Old 28 April 2024, 01:17   #8
BigD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
What do you think? Should an effort be made to at least provide new games and new WHD slaves with perhaps the most sought-after request (by me, at least): allow button 2 instead of up for jump - and button 3 for games that can use it?
Had Irving Gould actually cared about the business sector he was in he may have noticed that arcade machines were using multiple buttons. Both him and Tamiel were so sure that the C64 was the ultimate computer widget that I guess they thought all they needed was to shoehorn new cheap tech into a similar sized case and the job was done! I think the Atari ST WAS that product. However, the Amiga was better and its advantages should have been properly explored and marketed! Even now people turn there noses up at THEA500 GamePad because it's not a one button joystick like they remember! Madness!
Old 28 April 2024, 03:51   #9
Minuous
Coder/webmaster/gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigD View Post
Had Irving Gould actually cared about the business sector he was in he may have noticed that arcade machines were using multiple buttons.
I'd be very surprised if he had ever set foot inside an amusement centre, he doesn't really seem like the type :-/
Old 28 April 2024, 07:37   #10
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by malko View Post
Now that you mention it, I remember a friend of mine having one, but cannot remember if the second button was also fire or could be used distinctly.
Nope this is 2 independant buttons.
Old 28 April 2024, 08:12   #11
damiraga

Speedking had 1-button version for Atari compatible systems. The 2-button model was for Sega consoles.
Old 28 April 2024, 08:54   #12
modrobert
old bearded fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photon View Post
I wrote an article on Coppershade as food for thought for gamers, Amiga game and emulator authors, and perhaps also crackers and WHD slave authors.

Good idea and thanks for the article.
Old 28 April 2024, 09:00   #13
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Couldn't even the C64 support two buttons?

It's just the lazy joystick manufacturers not changing up their old designs until they were steamrolled by gamepads.

But even these days you would get more people with 1000+ euro turbo cards than using a 10 euro two button joystick on the Amiga.
Old 28 April 2024, 09:05   #14
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yes, I rewired my 3 button joystick back in ~1995 or something like that when I saw some schematics of the CD32 joypad.
Old 28 April 2024, 09:11   #15
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by damiraga View Post
Speedking had 1-button version for Atari compatible systems. The 2-button model was for Sega consoles.
Why would it be reserved for Sega consoles (actually, just the Master System btw) ? It was perfectly compatible with the Amiga out of the box.
Old 28 April 2024, 10:03   #16
Thomas Richter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
Couldn't even the C64 support two buttons?

The C64 simply copied the Atari-8-bit joystick port, and it has support for four directions, one fire button and two paddles, same as the Amiga, same as the Atari. The right mouse button is actually connected to one of the paddle inputs, and the third button to the other paddle input. Thus, C64, Amiga, Atari... all the same. Joystick with 3 buttons are possible, it is just a matter of software to use them. That they were not popular back then was probably because Atari sold for their machines with their CX40 joystick with only one button, and thus games were designed for only one button.
Old 28 April 2024, 10:53   #17
dreadnought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigerskunk View Post
But even these days you would get more people with 1000+ euro turbo cards than using a 10 euro two button joystick on the Amiga.
Perhaps, but I think they could be a minority. So many people use emulation or FPGA, where this is no problem, and also many people do have 2 button pads or joysticks for their OG HW Amigas.
Old 28 April 2024, 11:20   #18
damiraga

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Why would it be reserved for Sega consoles (actually, just the Master System btw) ? It was perfectly compatible with the Amiga out of the box.
Yes, it was Amiga compatible. I only said it was designed/marketed as Sega joystick. Never had one with the box, so not sure if they listed compatible systems as well.
Old 28 April 2024, 11:28   #19
LongLifeA1200

It'd be very welcomed. It makes some games easier to play.
Old 28 April 2024, 13:46   #20
pixie

Along those lines of though, what I would like to see was this:
[ Show youtube player ]

Around 6:40 you can see how Chaos Engine is given a new life altogether. You can now, like on arcade midnight resistance and so many others, control both direction of the player and where he's shooting!