English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 16 July 2017, 23:34   #1
NorthWay

A4000D correct floppy cable orientation?

I think something is borked in my 4000. Possibly the HD floppy drive itself.

The floppy cable is the standard 34-pin with 4-6 (1 being the red marker) twisted between the last and second last end connector. If you look at it with the red pin-1 key on the right side the connectors are on the underside. It should be the original that came with the machine (it has that 90 degree twist needed to come up on the side of my CybSCSI module).
J351 is open. J352 is in INT position. The jumpers on the floppy itself are
o o o

o o-o

The natural incling is to connect the cable to the motherboard pins so the red goes to pin 1 (which is on the right side next to the PSU - when looking at the front of the machine): This is however not directly logical as it is then pointing in the opposite direction of the IDE connector (i.e. they are headbutting) and you have to bend one of them backwards over itself.

When looking at figure 6-1 in the 4000 manual it indicates that you should use the second last connector for DF0: which would mean a 180 degree rotation to be able to reach the floppy below. I expect that this would mandate also rotating the motherboard connector, but then the red does not go to pin 1, and worse yet the 4-6 twist is now 29-31.

I have tried both ways of connecting to the motherboard combined with both ways with both end connectors.
One set lights up the drive light permanently, the other is dead as a dodo, not even recognizing a disk insertion.
My faint memory thinks that it was originally simply connected 1-to-1 (red on 1) with DF0: using the last connector.

So what is the correct connection and jumper settings for an A4000D with a single internal FB-357A?
(Pictures of cable and connections worth ¬1K words (2000 bytes?).)
Old 20 July 2017, 11:01   #2
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

This is an old one....

J351 Open allows for a 2nd Internal Floppy drive to be installed

J352 should be set for Pins 1-2

https://ftp.fau.de/aminet/docs/help/A4000UserGuide.pdf See page 26

See here for the definitive answer RE the cable.

http://relay.pp.fi/Amiga/A4000/A4000FloppyCableFix/

Last edited by Kin Hell; 20 July 2017 at 11:13.
Old 20 July 2017, 21:33   #3
NorthWay

Apart from my cable not having notches, everything seems to be as it should be. The 4000 manual makes less sense (as can also be seen with the marking of pin 1 for the IDE connector).

I typically hear no click without disks in it. It mostly doesn't recognize it when I insert a disk. It can boot into an empty cli from a disk that should be ok.
So is it my drive that is borked? Or some of the controller logic?

Last edited by NorthWay; 20 July 2017 at 21:34. Reason: typo
Old 21 July 2017, 00:51   #4
scuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
Apart from my cable not having notches, everything seems to be as it should be. The 4000 manual makes less sense (as can also be seen with the marking of pin 1 for the IDE connector).

I typically hear no click without disks in it. It mostly doesn't recognize it when I insert a disk. It can boot into an empty cli from a disk that should be ok.
So is it my drive that is borked? Or some of the controller logic?
Have you tried a disk head cleaner that looks like a floppy disk. I can get similar problems when I use a damaged or degraded disk. It leaves a residue in the floppy drive. Sometimes it just wont recognise any further disks. But a good clean and its all fine again.

scuzz
Old 21 July 2017, 01:17   #5
NorthWay

Don't think I have ever seen a cleaning disk.
Any recommended ones?
Old 21 July 2017, 18:33   #6
scuzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWay View Post
Don't think I have ever seen a cleaning disk.
Any recommended ones?
Just type in 'floppy disk head cleaner' on Ebay and there should be a full list. I just let the thing whirr round a few times and that does the trick.
Old 22 July 2017, 11:12   #7
Kin Hell
0ld0r Git

The Floppy drive switches may be stuck as well.

Blow some Compressed air through the drive to dispel as much dust as possible. The switches look like domed buttons that locate in the windows of the floppy disk. 880K disks have one window, HD disks have two, so you will have two switches to clean in your floppy drive's mechanism. They are to the sides & front of the slot.

With the drive free of dust, use a sparing amount of WD40 on the switch head & pop each one repeatedly until it clicks on & off without sticking. Wipe as much excess gunk away as possible during this process & try slope the drive down whilst doing this so save any gunk going into the drive mechanism itself.

If the cable looks ok (I'd still try another) & you're still dead in the water, try another known working Floppy Drive. If that's stuffed for trying, it could be one of the CIA's are fubar.
Old 23 July 2017, 02:48   #8
idrougge

I would never use WD40 on electrical contacts. Use alcohol instead.
Old 24 July 2017, 22:10   #9
NorthWay

Cleaning kit in transit from Amazon. I have electronic cleaner spray-can somewhere, as both air and coolant too.
Though I am wondering how I should interpret that 'info' says
"DF0: Unreadable disk" with no disk in the drive?
(Hunt for known good drive will have to wait until after I'm back to work, but some tinkering with the unit will probably happen in the near future.)

UPDATE: With known good disks my 3000 can read and write. One floppy transplant coming up in not too long...
UPDATE2: 4000 drive in 3000 does not give "Unreadable disk", but it makes odd noises, tells me to insert disk again, and insists I have disk errors. Trying 3000 cable in 4000 after I have a full IDE drive setup.
UPDATE3: Some drive pins looked bent so I put them back in place. 3000 cable in 4000 with 4000 floppy now clicks the drive as it should, and is no longer "unreadable". I tested every single pin in the 4000 cable and they all gave me connection; need to try the cable again for comparison.

Last edited by NorthWay; 27 July 2017 at 21:19. Reason: update3