English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 18 February 2016, 02:40   #1
beaglelover

Amiga Emulation Beginner: Questions

Hello, wonderful people of this website. I come in peace

Trying to get a foothold into the world of the Amiga and looking into getting a nice front end among other things going

I got the Amiga Forever 2016 Value Edition Emulator installed just yesterday. Seems very well put together comes preconfigurated and works with the xbox 360 usb controller right off the bat!

I have tried WinUAE and FS-UAE with some difficulty got them to work with issues.

Questions:

(1) About the loading time for Amiga games in the emulator I find after starting a game in an emulator (amigaforever) they will take a while to start up to 2 minutes of loading screens. Is this normal ? or does a fast way exist.

(2) Front end + screenshots next to the game name, I have played with WinUAE,FS-UAE could not get it to work right, however with (amigaforever) it seems already setup by default. Anyone know how to add games + screenshots into it and have it work right such as what type of files are compatible no-intro etc.

(3) Do people still use the Amiga computer in these modern times for other stuff asides from playing games ? Do people use it to program on (games) or other ? make midi music, or editing of some kind ? I know the atari st computer can still get used for the music stuff.

PS, I'm using a windows computer with 64bit windows 7. - Reasonably fast I might add.

Again thanks for your time, very excited to learn more

Beaglelover,

Last edited by beaglelover; 18 February 2016 at 03:08.
Old 18 February 2016, 04:11   #2
Aegis
Gentleman

1) By default, disks work at the same speed as a real Amiga. Click on the floppy disk icon at the bottom of the Amiga Forever emulation window - if you can select 'turbo' then it'll speed up the disk access (might cause compatibility issues with some games though).

2) Select 'new' from AF2016's file menu to create a new .rp9 - this is basically a .zip file with the .ADF disk image(s) and some xml with emulator settings (plus any pictures/documents you might add). The most important tabs are General, Configuration and Media - you don't have to use the others.

3) Yes, people still use the Amiga for programming, creating art and music surfing the web/email and documents/presentations.