English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 February 2012, 20:44   #21
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Some of the content really appeals, but no matter how hard I try I can't break through the narration barrier and take in a word you're saying. You sound like a professional voice-over guy introducing an 80s fantasy film or soppy Christmas tale. It all comes across as overly ponderous and lingering, with the emphasis on words in all the wrong places.

It could be that you're trying too hard to present it, whereas it might seem more natural if you pretended you were having a casual conversation with friends in a pub. Maybe it's a language gulf thing, or then again my brain might need rewiring, who knows. It's a shame because you've clearly put a lot of effort into your productions and have great passion for the subject matter.

Can anyone else see where I'm coming from, or am I losing it?
Old 08 February 2012, 04:48   #22
modrobert
old bearded fool

I see where you are coming from but disagree. Pat's style leaves no middle ground, either you like or dislike.

If it weren't for the unique narration combined with personal experience I would have lost interest after a few minutes, it really carries the whole thing; good show. I've already had plenty of conversations about Amiga games like "Deja Vu" over a beer in the late 80s, no need to repeat that. This felt fresh and different.
Old 08 February 2012, 12:37   #23
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Great reviews - I love the slow burn approach.... all the reviewers I watch all have their own unique style - that's why I like them... Pat, Metal Jesus, Matt Barton - all great.
Old 09 February 2012, 11:07   #24
Patarival

Thanks guys!

And, really, I don't mind your criticism , dreamkatcha. In fact, I found your comment of how I sound like a professional voice-over guy introducing an 80s fantasy film or soppy Christmas tale highly amusing and even somewhat flattering.

Since English isn't my first language, I tend to struggle with pronunciation which may be one reason why my rather unique emphasis sounds even worse to you.

The truth is, I'm not quite satisfied with my pronunciation. After studying English for more than two decades, I'm somewhat disappointed how it sounds.
That said, my style is probably less affected by that. It's just my style. I have a lot of passion and maybe I get a little carried away now and then. The "show" is about my nostalgia.

Seriously, I'm glad if you guys are pointing out things you don't like.
Old 09 February 2012, 21:28   #25
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Good to hear you took it in the right vein; as constructive criticism. Yes, it's a back-handed compliment in a way because if I didn't think you had something special here, despite my 'connection issues' I wouldn't have cared enough to comment.

I'm always impressed by multi-lingual people full stop. I studied French and German for several years in school and can barely string a sentence together in either language. You should be proud of what you have achieved.

Where is it you're from by the way?
Old 10 February 2012, 10:08   #26
Patarival

From "YouTube" apparently.

I'm from Liechtenstein. You might have heard it from my accent that we're basically speaking some very rough form of German (Germans, however, have a hard time trying to understand us). In fact, I don't think my German is considerably better than my English.

I've been thinking about doing a German episode about a German game though just to try that.

One question, if you don't mind: Do you think my voice-over has improved or is it just as bad in Deja Vu as it was in Twinworld?
Old 10 February 2012, 23:09   #27
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I detected a bit of German-Lite in your accent, but it's far enough removed to have stumped me. Interesting.

I hadn't watched either of those until now; there's definitely a vast difference, and it's all in the right direction.

In Twinworld the rhythm of the delivery is very stilted and jarring. One minute the pitch is low, then high, you speed up, and then slow down for no apparent reason. If I didn't know better I might have said a robotic text to speech synthesiser is reading from a script. The words are almost listed rather than spoken. As you know, the pronunciation of words depends greatly on context and positioning in a sentence, but here they're isolated and fixed.

Your presentation of Deja Vu flows much more naturally and is far more pleasant to listen to and engage with. It's more spontaneous, while the levels and rhythm are balanced and under control. You've certainly come a long way in under six months so congratulations!
Old 21 February 2012, 09:32   #28
Patarival

There's a new review. This time it's Midwinter 2.

This review is focused on the DOS port, though, because it provides a smoother experience than the Amiga version - even though the Amiga has a couple of advantages.
I do, however, show the Amiga version as well and most of the game is identical anyway.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 04 March 2012, 23:01   #29
Patarival

Next review is finished. This time, it's the brilliant Darkmere.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 06 March 2012, 16:33   #30
Zandig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patarival View Post
Next review is finished. This time, it's the brilliant Darkmere.

[ Show youtube player ]
Very nice video - one of my favorite Amiga games.
Old 18 March 2012, 21:10   #31
Patarival

Thanks Zandig!

Good news: My next review is finished. This time, it's the very rare RPG

Fate - Gates of Dawn

[ Show youtube player ]

And I made a new opening sequence which - I hope - looks a bit more professional.

Enjoy!
Old 19 March 2012, 13:44   #32
lifeschool
Local Moderator

The new opening sequence is VERY professional - I wish I knew how you did it! Which video editor are you using BTW? Final Cut? Avid?

The review: never heard of this game before. It must be very rare indeed. Another great review - and the expanded maps look really cool. It looks like a game with massive potential let down by sub-bards tale graphics. Certainly worth the watch. Thanks.
Old 21 March 2012, 03:19   #33
Zandig

An excellent review. It's great to see some of the lesser known RPGs getting some attention. I've had this one for a while for the Amiga and only played a bit of the beginning. After watching your video it's inspired me to have another go.
Old 21 March 2012, 14:11   #34
Patarival

Thanks you guys!

Zandig: You really should give it another try. The game's really fantastic once you get over the initial confusion. And as I said in my review, I strongly suggest some maps and at least a couple of hints.

Lifeschool: I had to experiment quite a bit, getting the desired effect. In the end, I used Blender, where I made a simple camera-movement over a textured plane. Pretty cheap, actually.

As for the editor I use: Camtasia.
I had used a trial-version for my first review (Twinworld) because I wanted something to record the screen and Fraps had the Fraps-logo in the picture, which I didn't like.
Camtasia does both recording and editing. It's pretty simple but lacks a lot of things real video editing software can do.
I bought the full version without really looking at the price and I think it's a bit too expensive. It works for me as long as I don't try to do something fancy. It fits my style rather well, though.
Old 21 March 2012, 15:26   #35
lifeschool
Local Moderator

I can't (hardly) believe you actually use Camtasia to edit these vids!! I use Camtasia v7.1 to do the screen rips - it's just about the best screen ripper out there, bar non, and really terrific results. But editing? I guess you must be very patient to use that very basic editor. Still, whatever works for you - and it certainly does work. I've been thinking you use real pro software, but then perhaps a few fancy fades and transitions can easily fool me.
Old 21 March 2012, 23:52   #36
laffer
Zone Friend

Yeah, doing all that in Camtasia... that's impressive!
Old 22 March 2012, 10:17   #37
Patarival

Well, Camtasia was so expensive that I just don't want to buy another program.

I tried some freeware tools (Virtualdub and Avi...uh...something and even Lightworks) but I just couldn't get into them.

Camtasia, while limited, does generally what I need it to do. I don't use many transition effects (only when going to my opening sequence, when showing the title screen or when switching to another port of the game).
There's also the occasional arrow or other visual call-out and these standard ones do nicely.
Old 01 April 2012, 08:46   #38
Patarival

It always takes a bit longer than I anticipate but here's my next review:

EYE OF HORUS

[ Show youtube player ]

It might sound like an odd choice but I like the Egyptian setting so much, that I invested countless hours in this in my youth.
Old 01 April 2012, 14:17   #39
Peter
Still an Amiga user

Rally enjoyed this video Pat - thanks for the link.

I agree EOH is a pretty decent game and the Amiga definitely seems to have the best version of it. The music in the Amiga version is also really good.

The Hall of Light entry for the game has some good screen and box shots if anyone is interested. Click Here to view.

Going to fire this game up this afternoon!
Old 03 April 2012, 10:22   #40
Patarival

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.

It's always great when someone plays a game because of my reviews!