English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 12 August 2001, 07:17   #21
APFelon
Cable Buyer

My question goes unanswered. Samurai, I never doubted Godflesh was part of the community... I actually suggested that he WAS a very important part of it. I just wanted to know WHY what he offered was so important? I uploaded a LOT of things to his FTP that are now staple. What of that is great?
What of that do you want?

Marz- UPLOAD! Upload not what you think is rare, but what other people will enjoy or have never seen before. Compilation CDs be damned, cough it up.

Of what is.
Old 12 August 2001, 11:22   #22
MethodGit

Wink Done

See for yourself at the ADF Zone...
Old 12 August 2001, 20:02   #23
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Is it really neccesary to editorialize in your description of the game? It's starting to feel like rom kiddie hell lately...
Old 12 August 2001, 21:19   #24
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally posted by Twistin' Ghost
I guess G*dflesh was right...once his ftp's go up, everyone loves him. And they say Americans are shallow and superficial...
Indeedy.
Old 13 August 2001, 12:51   #25
Big-Byte
Long time member

TOSEC.

Are you going to rename all your files on your ftp according to the TOSEC standard at some point?

It will help you if you do cause collectors (ok leechers ) like me
can then selectively get only the few files they need instead of d/ling everything and then having to sort out the wheat from the chaff so to speak.
Old 13 August 2001, 15:38   #26
freedom4u

APF is wrong

It is very childish to question the use of Godfleshs FTPs.
It is an easy accessible and for many newbies, also a very useful source of ADFs.
I myself enjoyed his diskmags like AmigaPlus and co.

If you have all the games on his FTP I still don't understand why you bother posting to this thread.
(I also don't know why I bother answering . Nothing to do ? ;-) )

If you are so professional, you also have to accept that others still lack some ADFs

Old 13 August 2001, 19:22   #27
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

I am trying. I am trying to ignore this fetid thread, but it just will not go away. Why are we discussing this here? Hasn't Godflesh stated that he does not want to be talked about here (unless it's praise)? Didn't we as a community here decide that it was a sore subject and we would end it? Do you guys have selective memory or does the fact that the ftp's are up mean that the previous discussions no longer matter?

Why is a discussion of the filenames used on Godflesh's ftp's going on at eab and not on Godflesh's own forum?!?!?!?!?!
Quote:
<snip>
If you have all the games on his FTP I still don't understand why you bother posting to this thread. <...>
If you are so professional, you also have to accept that others still lack some ADFs
3) Dude, question everything. Question authority. Questioning means you do not understand something. That would make it childlike, not childish.
2) They aren't his diskmags. In fact many of the files on that ftp were uploaded by the very denizens of this board.
1) Professional? No, my Amiga game collection is my hobby, not my profession. I stated why I don't use his ftp's, which has nothing to do whatsoever with you or whether you choose to or choose not to use them. Relax, already!
Old 13 August 2001, 19:37   #28
Peanutuk

Censorship

TO censor any disscusion is wrong. YOu can not be selective, because it is something you don't want to talk about or about someone who doesn't want to be mentioned. If you think about it most of this thread is taken with the pros and cons of whether or not to continue the thread and not really about Godflesh!

Some people like the 'service' , others don't. And that's that.
Old 13 August 2001, 19:50   #29
APFelon
Cable Buyer

Re: APF is wrong

I am never reluctant to admit that I am wrong. In fact, I will unashamed to admit I am wrong often. However, I am not wrong here.

Everything has an ends and a means. If one is willing to achieve an end without regard to the means, of what worth is the end?

The proprietor/steward of the FTPs in question has shown himself to be a bully, a bigot, and has (and most likely will again in the future) used his website/BB as well as the FTPs as a weapon. The support given to him only inflames and encourages this attitude, and I for one refuse to endorse or encourage it by using his FTPs. That is my choice, and I am principled enough to stand by it and keep my word. I hesitated to mention all of this in the beginning out of respect for RCP and the others who may be affected if/when Godflesh decides to slander people on his website again.

As far as the diskmags go, there is an entire website dedicated to them (which is most likely the source to the FTPs.)

So again, what is the end to be achieved? Are those who are flocking to the FTPs looking for a particular game, or all of them? Are people trying to be archivists or are they looking for a rare game they can't find elsewhere?

Quote:
Originally posted by freedom4u
It is an easy accessible and for many newbies, also a very useful source of ADFs.

If you have all the games on his FTP I still don't understand why you bother posting to this thread.
(I also don't know why I bother answering . Nothing to do ? ;-) )

I accept that others lack ADFs. Do you want them all?

The FTP issue for me is now closed... I don't see the need to defend or revise my position on the subject any longer. Since we have already crossed the threshold into name-calling, this issue is dead to me.
Old 13 August 2001, 19:50   #30
freedom4u

My post only applied to APFs post !

Quote:
3) Dude, question everything
;-) Very good point. I see where I am mistaken.

(All the rest is just hitting on my bad english. (Of course they are not his diskmags))

Old 13 August 2001, 19:58   #31
Twistin'Ghost
Give up the ghost

Who said anything about censorship? (ironic, though, for obvious reasons...)

The closest to censorship was the fact that Godflesh was repeatedly coming to this forum, spamming and carrying on because he was being discussed and he didn't like what was being said about him or his sites. But when it became positive remarks, he changed his tone. THAT, my friend, is censorship. When you demand that you or your sites not be discussed negatively, but even join in when the discussion becomes positive.

It was this very annoying debate that we discussed in a different thread where we ultimately decided to not discuss the topic since it was becoming emotional and pointless. That's a long way from censorship. Furthermore, nobody is deleting messages or closing this thread either. Carefully choose your words. If you had read the previous discussion on the topic, I was the one telling Godflesh that the debate was valid because everyone was expressing their opinions. Suddenly that concept becomes important now, but not then.

And anyways, we have been over all of this territory before, in great detail. This has all been said before and we are just regurgitating the same thing. If there is a thread about converting Amiga disks, then someone starts the whole thing over again in a different thread, it would not be considered censorship to suggest ending that either.

Everytime I respond, I hope it will be the last time I have to, but as I said, this thread refuses to go away.

Oh yeah...
@freedom4u
Sorry. Didn't mean to attack your English. I didn't consider that. My misunderstanding. No offense intended!

@APF
Eloquently put, my friend!
Old 13 August 2001, 21:01   #32
Amiga1992

The fact is, as Twistin' said, that HE posted on his VERY OWN forum that ANY FURTHER MENTION of HIS NAME or 'his' FTPs, in this very forum, by us, would result in either me, Twistin, fred or whomever, being flamed on his mainpage. So we have agreed to not discuss about this anymore.

nuff. I don't want to get onto this shit agin, I've had enough and did my best to avoid posting on this thread and vent spleen.
Old 14 August 2001, 10:26   #33
Big-Byte
Long time member

Why discuss Godflesh here

I asked the question here because this forum is a lot more lively than Godflesh's forums and there are a lot more people to talk to.

While certainly not new to the Amiga, I am new to Amiga emulation and all that it entails so forgive me for asking...

What is it that Godflesh has supposed to have done to piss you all off so much?
Old 14 August 2001, 10:48   #34
RCK
Administrator

Exclamation [ RCK, one hour before leaving his aDSL connection ]

nonono, please don't start again this old and useless discussion here John.

You can easily find what you are looking for by searching at the word "godflesh" in the search engine.

Discussion ended.