English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Games

Old 28 October 2007, 15:37   #21
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
Did someone just edit that Wikipedia entry? (Ahh yes they did)

The previous entry said almost nothing about the strength of the copy protection (and being unable to copy an original disk using a normal drive is not necessary a big deal). Unique doesn't have to mean hard to crack.
they did?..Im sure was Galahad of course

he is so fake to accept the true

anyways here is the original text:

Mega-Lo-Mania had what was at the time a fairly unique anti-piracy protection system. The game would periodically check for the presence of "bad sectors" on the game media which were hard to replicate with standard copying software. If these sectors were not found the game would auto-nuke the players starting sector and endlessly loop the "It's all over!" sound sample, ending the game and locking out the controls so the user had no option but to reset the machine.
Old 28 October 2007, 15:41   #22
Graham Humphrey

Anything that contains the phrase "fairly unique" is bound to be a bit dubious
Old 28 October 2007, 15:41   #23
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by laser View Post

If these sectors were not found the game would auto-nuke the players starting sector and endlessly loop the "It's all over!" sound sample, ending the game and locking out the controls so the user had no option but to reset the machine.
But what's the point? The Fairlight crack never loop this sound sample, or locking out the controls.
Old 28 October 2007, 15:44   #24
laser
Banned

and this is the new fake text edited by Galahad

Mega-Lo-Mania had what was at the time a fairly unique anti-piracy protection system. The game would periodically check for the presence of "bad sectors" (It had RNC Copylock protection, quite possibly the most useless protection ever made for the Amiga) on the game media which were hard to replicate with standard copying software. If these sectors were not found the game would auto-nuke the players starting sector and endlessly loop the "It's all over!" sound sample, ending the game and locking out the controls so the user had no option but to reset the machine. It might have been unique, but alas it wasn't a particularly competant copy protection and was broken easily. The MFM disk protection system was exactly the same as that employed on most Sensible Software games, and was equally as useless as the RNC Copylock protection.

EAB is so funny
Old 28 October 2007, 15:51   #25
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Quote:
EAB is so funny
If i didn't know better, i'd say you are this "mgguy" troll. He wanted to convince us all that Contra was released for the miggy and gone insane after getting no positive feedback.
Old 28 October 2007, 15:55   #26
ppill
CON: artist

Quote:
they did?..Im sure was Galahad of course

he is so fake to accept the true
We're talking about TRUTH in relation to wikipedia? Come on!

Quote:
Mega-Lo-Mania had what was at the time a fairly unique anti-piracy protection system. The game would periodically check for the presence of "bad sectors" on the game media which were hard to replicate with standard copying software. If these sectors were not found the game would auto-nuke the players starting sector and endlessly loop the "It's all over!" sound sample, ending the game and locking out the controls so the user had no option but to reset the machine.
So why is it so hard for you to accept that this quote tells us very little (nothing?) about the strength of the copy-protection but rather about what happens when the game figures out that someone's been messing with the disk(s). And since it was fairly easy to crack the game almost no one got to see it (I know I didn't back in the day).
Old 28 October 2007, 16:03   #27
laser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppill View Post
We're talking about TRUTH in relation to wikipedia? Come on!

So why is it so hard for you to accept that this quote tells us very little (nothing?) about the strength of the copy-protection but rather about what happens when the game figures out that someone's been messing with the disk(s). And since it was fairly easy to crack the game almost no one got to see it (I know I didn't back in the day).
The wikipedia is not a very serious source you know....

but if it's not a serious source why Galahad edited there?

thanks for the advice about the the changes !!!!
Old 28 October 2007, 17:08   #28
Bolch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scampi View Post
Hmm, I tried the files in the Zone - it goes through all the Cheats pages and then keeps resetting itself. I'm on the default settings.
I don't know what's the problem... I checked my version again, even played through the first two levels one more time to make sure that it's working.

You do not have to change any settings in WinUAE, simply start it, select the "Model: A500" and "Configuration:1.3 ROM, OCS, 512 Kb Chip + 512 Kb Slow RAM (most common)" on the very first screen, "insert" the first disk of Myth in the "floppy drive", and it should work.
Old 28 October 2007, 17:24   #29
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Quote:
and this is the new fake text edited by Galahad

Mega-Lo-Mania had what was at the time a fairly unique anti-piracy protection system. The game would periodically check for the presence of "bad sectors" (It had RNC Copylock protection, quite possibly the most useless protection ever made for the Amiga) on the game media which were hard to replicate with standard copying software. If these sectors were not found the game would auto-nuke the players starting sector and endlessly loop the "It's all over!" sound sample, ending the game and locking out the controls so the user had no option but to reset the machine. It might have been unique, but alas it wasn't a particularly competant copy protection and was broken easily. The MFM disk protection system was exactly the same as that employed on most Sensible Software games, and was equally as useless as the RNC Copylock protection.

EAB is so funny
Its hardly fake if its actually true though is it? Nothing I had added is incorrect. What I have added makes the entry valid, what was there before gave the impression that Mega-Lo-Mania had some kind of 'super protection', when it had nothing of the sort.

Last edited by Galahad/FLT; 28 October 2007 at 17:32.
Old 28 October 2007, 19:01   #30
rsn8887

FLT rulez
Old 28 October 2007, 23:18   #31
andreas
Zone Friend

Send a message via ICQ to andreas Send a message via AIM to andreas
Quote:
but if it's not a serious source why Galahad edited there?
Because Galahad wanted to keep the moronism within a certain extent! Better if some knowledgeable old-schooler edits this, than some 17-yo youngster who knows jack shit about what happened, huh?
At least Galahad managed to halve the bullshit written in the WP article.
Old 29 October 2007, 03:37   #32
woody57

Can someone please sell me a new pair of glasses ?

My old pair cannot decypher this much shit

Opps ..sorry it's a Laser thread ..my mistake
Old 29 October 2007, 07:46   #33
Scampi

Actually it was my thread, and it was only supposed to be a question about trying to get a couple of games to work. Thanks to those of you who are trying to help...

Bolch, I'm trying your settings (or at least I think I am, see previous comment re experience and intelligence) and I'm coming up with a software failure message immediately after clicking through all the cheats pages?
Old 06 November 2007, 19:36   #34
andreas
Zone Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody57 View Post
Can someone please sell me a new pair of glasses ?

My old pair cannot decypher this much shit

Opps ..sorry it's a Laser thread ..my mistake
woody, laser can hurt your eyes!!

you didn't know?

Old 06 November 2007, 22:25   #35
AGN

There is one "problem" related to adf version of megalomania.
Galahad, thanks for the release.
Old 06 November 2007, 22:35   #36
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

That wouldn't have plauged the original crack, thats just someone imaging a duff disk.
Old 07 November 2007, 11:24   #37
AGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galahad/FLT View Post
That wouldn't have plauged the original crack, thats just someone imaging a duff disk.
I never said otherwise.
Bad day Galahad?
Old 09 November 2007, 17:59   #38
andreas
Zone Friend

@Gahalad

Could be the weird mix of disks in TOSEC, which resembles a sort of chiasmus with 2 versions mingled into another.
Well to prove you're right (or wrong ), we could take the DMS files from the 10 years anniversary CD (I do not have this one handy atm, sorry) and check'em out.
Old 16 July 2016, 22:14   #39
Fry Kickstart

I have the same problem. Mega-lo-Mania wont run in my Emulator (FS-UAE 2.6.2)
I start it, i can see the Fairlight Cracktro + the sound and then...nothing. The Game itself wont load. And i have no idea why it dont want load further.
In the past the game run fine - with the same config.

Edit: The only change in my system was my graphic card. Actually i use the "integrated" one from my CPU because my other card is damaged.

Last edited by Fry Kickstart; 17 July 2016 at 00:18.

Old 16 July 2016, 22:50   #40
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fry Kickstart View Post
I have the same problem. Mega-lo-Mania wont run in my Emulator (FS-UAE 2.6.2)
I start it, i can see the Fairlight Cracktro + the sound and then...nothing. The Game itself wont load. And i have no idea why it dont want load further.
In the past the game run fine - with the same config.
I know this is really not much help to you but I've had both games running perfectly in WinUAE since around 2005.

Disks I use for Mega-lo-Mania are as follows (though might be ancient TOSEC names):

... Mega-lo-Mania (1991)(ImageWorks)[cr FLT](Disk 1 of 2)[t +6 LGD].adf [CRC32: 9853B91E]
... Mega-lo-Mania (1991)(ImageWorks)[cr FLT][a](Disk 2 of 2).adf [CRC32: 677172AE]

Standard OCS (with Cycle-Exact) / KS 1.3 / 512KB Chip + Slow RAM configuration.