English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 26 December 2013, 03:33   #21
NovaCoder

Cool, thanks

I thought it might be a WAD issue, best to always use the latest version with my ports.
Old 28 December 2013, 04:44   #22
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I managed to get it running under WinUAE at long last, still wish my 1200 was working though. Anyhow, as soon as I get more time, I want to explore this in depth. With the RTG support I also would like to give it a go on Amithlon!

Now this has me wondering, how hard would it be to add in AHI support so this could also run on MorphOS machines?
Old 28 December 2013, 05:24   #23
wXR

Any chance for network support on this?
Old 28 December 2013, 10:55   #24
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDelusion View Post
I managed to get it running under WinUAE at long last, still wish my 1200 was working though. Anyhow, as soon as I get more time, I want to explore this in depth. With the RTG support I also would like to give it a go on Amithlon!

Now this has me wondering, how hard would it be to add in AHI support so this could also run on MorphOS machines?
Cool, glad it's finally working for you

Always use the latest (patched) original WAD file, it seems to like that.

V1.06 is on AmiNet now, it's got different timer code which may help it to run faster on a wider range of configs. I can now run DOOM full screen (320x256) on my A1200 at a playable speed

With the Audio I had a choice of either going AHI or going native ASM with MUS music support. The only reason for switching to AHI would be if I could plug in a MIDI emulator (lots of work).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wXR View Post
Any chance for network support on this?
Sorry, this would be a lot of effort for me with almost no return (eg hardly anybody would even bother using it).
Old 28 December 2013, 20:24   #25
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Send a message via MSN to fitzsteve
Hi Mate,

RTG version works great on my A4000, I thought it wasn't working at first as it was stuck on a grey screen for about 20-30 seconds but I guess it was just loading!

Once the menu came up it was fine and pretty smooth even though my A4000 is 040@40mhz (WarpEngine) and not an 060 like the readme says it requires, so I guess you can put 040 as the requirement but 060 as recommend.

I played the first couple of levels of Doom II and it really is playable on my setup. I'm using Picasso96 with my CV64/3D by the way.

Kudos on the port, any link to where we can find the TC's?

Cheers

Steve.
Old 28 December 2013, 21:40   #26
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:

AHI would be great here to (as an option) then I could use my A4000's sound card.

The sound works passed through but would be nice in 16bit
Old 29 December 2013, 00:35   #27
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

Setting up Amithlon system now...
Old 29 December 2013, 02:10   #28
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzsteve View Post
Hi Mate,

RTG version works great on my A4000, I thought it wasn't working at first as it was stuck on a grey screen for about 20-30 seconds but I guess it was just loading!

Kudos on the port, any link to where we can find the TC's?

Cheers

Steve.
Cool glad it works for you Steve, not all P96 systems fully support CyberGFX so not everyone will be able to run the RTG version. I don't normally bother doing RTG versions but I thought I'd do it for AmiDOOM

I guess someone with an overclocked 060 and a fast RTG card could probably run AmiDOOM in 640x480 at a playable speed (I can only manage 320x256) on my AGA A1200.

I've uploaded the Duke Nukem TC in the Zone for you to try, it is very demanding though. I've also added some Hexen skins (put the WAD in the AmiDOOM/Skins folder) then activate the chase cam within AmiDOOM.

Quote:
Setting up Amithlon system now...
I think that will only work if you set the 'nosound' Tool Type, must admit that I don't know much about Amithlon though.
Old 29 December 2013, 02:27   #29
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Thanks mate, just DL'd them and will try tomorrow

I wouldn't bother with anything above 320x240 on Amiga real hardware, memory/bus bottlenecks will be an issue. ADoomPPC on 330mhz Blizzard PPC is slow in 640x480!!! (Software rendering)

However CSPPC/CSMkIII with it's 64bit Ram just might cope, I was able to run QuakeWOS in 640x480 on my CSPPC (BPPC was unable to go above 320x240 without hardware rendering, i.e BlitzQuake.)

ps. AHI might make the RTG version usable on OS4.x
Old 29 December 2013, 12:50   #30
Reynolds
Alien Breeder

It would be cool to play Doom on network... maybe with some ql TC...
Old 30 December 2013, 04:24   #31
XDelusion
Alien Breeder

I ended up wrecking my partitions trying to set up SFS last night, so I'll have to try again later this week. As for audio, well there is good news, Amithlon has a work around for the Paula chip which redirects all hardware hitting audio to AHI!
I'd kill to see something like that for MorphOS, that would open up so many doors!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Cool glad it works for you Steve, not all P96 systems fully support CyberGFX so not everyone will be able to run the RTG version. I don't normally bother doing RTG versions but I thought I'd do it for AmiDOOM

I guess someone with an overclocked 060 and a fast RTG card could probably run AmiDOOM in 640x480 at a playable speed (I can only manage 320x256) on my AGA A1200.

I've uploaded the Duke Nukem TC in the Zone for you to try, it is very demanding though. I've also added some Hexen skins (put the WAD in the AmiDOOM/Skins folder) then activate the chase cam within AmiDOOM.

I think that will only work if you set the 'nosound' Tool Type, must admit that I don't know much about Amithlon though.
Old 03 January 2014, 01:06   #32
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi Nova,

Can you give me any tips on getting the Duke TC working? I edited the tool type at the bottom but after launching I'm kicked back to Workbench, is there something else I need to change?

I have Doom2 WAD of course.

Thanks!

Steve.
Old 03 January 2014, 01:17   #33
NovaCoder

Quote:
Hi Nova,

Can you give me any tips on getting the Duke TC working? I edited the tool type at the bottom but after launching I'm kicked back to Workbench, is there something else I need to change?

I have Doom2 WAD of course.

Thanks!

Steve.
It should work fine

Set the Tool Type 'iwad=DOOM2.WAD' and 'file1=DUKEGP.WAD' (obviously the WADS have to be in your install folder).

Are you using v1.9 of the DOOM2.WAD BTW, not really needed but I think ZDOOM likes the latest versions of the WAD's.

I guess you've tried to start up a standard DOOM2 game, does that work ok?

It is meant to write a file called 'ERROR.TXT' in the install folder if it has problems.

There's also my 'real' Duke Nukem port in the Zone right now if you want to give the real thing a go (very buggy at the moment, watch out!)

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AmiDOOM_Duke.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	38516  
Old 03 January 2014, 01:20   #34
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hi Mate,

I just tried with the AGA version in WinUAE and Duke TC working, so must be an issue with RTG version or something my A4000 is doing

I will try the AGA version on my A4000 and report back and will check the error log too

Doom 2 via AmiDoom is working fine on the A4000 and very playable even though it's only an 040, dare I say comparable performance to ADoom which was a surprise
Old 03 January 2014, 01:23   #35
NovaCoder

Yep could well be a bug in the RTG build, I did code that version in about 3 hours while drinking vodka so who knows
Old 03 January 2014, 01:23   #36
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NovaCoder View Post
Yep could well be a bug in the RTG build, I did code that version in about 3 hours while drinking vodka so who knows
Well for a Vodka fueled build it's still fricken awesome!
Old 03 January 2014, 01:29   #37
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

RTG build is working with Duke TC in WinUAE, can I change the screen mode it uses in RTG? It might help if I can force 320x240 on the real Amiga.
Old 03 January 2014, 01:36   #38
NovaCoder

Quote:
RTG build is working with Duke TC in WinUAE, can I change the screen mode it uses in RTG? It might help if I can force 320x240 on the real Amiga.
Yep of course, just got to Options->Display Mode to choose the mode you want.

Hit 'D' to set it as the default, this will update the config file so it uses that mode on start up.

The screen mode list is built dynamically by examining the system it's running on BTW, it's not hard coded (eg it will be different on WinUAE compared to your real Amiga).

Everything (include the key mappings) is configured within AmiDOOM itself, much neater than using a separate program
Old 03 January 2014, 01:51   #39
fitzsteve
Professional slacker!

Hey it works! I didn't do anything different it just worked this time

I guess I had something running (or had run something it didn't like just before!)

Lookie

[ Show youtube player ]

I bet it runs better than you thought on an 040 eh? Of course I tweaked some graphics settings to get the extra frames
Old 03 January 2014, 01:58   #40
NovaCoder

Cool, glad you got it working. The speed looks really good for an 040, standard DOOM must really fly on it!

I don't think it's been possible to play that Duke Nukem TC on 68k before, AmiDOOM is the first port to support it