English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 11 February 2013, 21:48   #21
jbenam
Italian Amiga Zealot

Awesome. How's the AGA chipset compatibility?

I guess that CPU compatiblity is not a problem, since it's the real deal

I might even replace my Amiga 4000 with one of those beauties!

How much will the daughterboard cost?
Old 12 February 2013, 00:41   #22
neozeed

I wonder if this will hit production and how many ££££ it'll be.. I'd love a new amiga that doesn't rely on 20+ year old bits.
Old 15 February 2013, 19:11   #23
Kitty

Does the FPGA-Arcade currently run the latest minimig core thats adapted for use with a minimig arm controller but without the need for an arm controller on the FPGA-Arcade board? Does that make sense?
Old 15 February 2013, 21:37   #24
yaqube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty View Post
Does the FPGA-Arcade currently run the latest minimig core thats adapted for use with a minimig arm controller but without the need for an arm controller on the FPGA-Arcade board? Does that make sense?
The Minimig AGA core for the Replay board (FPGA-Arcade) is much more advanced than the Minimig core available for the Minimig board (I hope everybody can distinguish a Minimig core from the Minimig board).
The Replay board has exactly the same ARM controller built-in.
Old 16 February 2013, 02:18   #25
Amiga1992

Can you use this Minimig AGA core on the Minimig board?
Old 16 February 2013, 10:12   #26
yaqube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Can you use this Minimig AGA core on the Minimig board?
No, the FPGA on the Minimig board is too small.
Old 16 February 2013, 13:43   #27
Amiga1992

Is there ever going to be a Minimig v2 with a bigger FPGA and, hopefully and finally, HDMI output or something?
Old 16 February 2013, 14:09   #28
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

I see no reason for it once FPGA Arcade will hit the streets
Old 16 February 2013, 14:11   #29
yaqube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Is there ever going to be a Minimig v2 with a bigger FPGA and, hopefully and finally, HDMI output or something?
Actually I'm working on a new FPGA board design but I wouldn't call it Minimig V2.
Old 16 February 2013, 20:07   #30
Amiga1992

Looking forward!!
Old 16 February 2013, 20:46   #31
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Minimig is great for what it is. But there's not much point in upgrading it in small steps.
We need new FPGA products, with larger boards, more connectors, more features.
FPGA Arcade seems great as a clear step forward. And after that... who knows

Minimig should remain as a cheap solution for a quick light fun done the Amiga way, but some heavy artillery is just around the corner
Old 17 February 2013, 08:29   #32
lolafg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Minimig is great for what it is. But there's not much point in upgrading it in small steps.
We need new FPGA products, with larger boards, more connectors, more features.
FPGA Arcade seems great as a clear step forward. And after that... who knows

Minimig should remain as a cheap solution for a quick light fun done the Amiga way, but some heavy artillery is just around the corner
Well , i don't totally agree with you , people who already have the Minimig , as i do and as some will (there is a new batch produced actually), want more things for the Minimig, as an example ipf support.

But if i understand well Yaqube will not be in Minimig anymore and it's a big loose for Minimig users.

Actually i'm a bit lost , should i buy the Fpga Replay ? Should i sell my Minimig ? Wait for New next board from Yaqube ?...
Old 17 February 2013, 08:32   #33
NovaCoder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqube View Post
Actually I'm working on a new FPGA board design but I wouldn't call it Minimig V2.
Is that because the FPGA Arcade is taking too long?
Old 17 February 2013, 10:56   #34
Kitty

How much is the FPGA-Arcade board? I thought it was available to buy now in small production runs?
Old 17 February 2013, 14:57   #35
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
Well , i don't totally agree with you , people who already have the Minimig , as i do and as some will (there is a new batch produced actually), want more things for the Minimig, as an example ipf support.

But if i understand well Yaqube will not be in Minimig anymore and it's a big loose for Minimig users.

Actually i'm a bit lost , should i buy the Fpga Replay ? Should i sell my Minimig ? Wait for New next board from Yaqube ?...
Oh, don't get me wrong. If something can be added to the Minimig via new core, or some hardware addon, then it should be done for all existing boards.
I was saying that it would be pointless to do a new run of, say... Minimig 2, that would sport only a new FPGA or more memory, or something like that.

For something new and more powerful, we need bigger boards, more connectors... I for one would love to have a FDD connector on board. Sadly none seems to plan such thing
Old 17 February 2013, 15:07   #36
yaqube

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolafg View Post
No, the Minimig board is not abandoned, it will get an update after the Minimig AGA core for the Replay board will be ready.

Quote:
It depends on what you want to use it for.

The Minimig board has the highest compatibility because it has a real 68000 CPU. Although there are plans and some work has been done to recreate cycle perfect 68000 CPU core (which would improve compatibility of other Minimig's ports like Chameleon 64, C-One, MiST etc) it's long time ahead.
So if you want to play OCS/ECS Amiga games and watch demos there is no better choice.

The Replay board is able to host Minimig AGA core (which can be switched into OCS/ECS compatibility modes) and allows all AGA stuff to work. This core comes with a lot of additional goodies: 8MB of FAST RAM, 1.5MB of SLOW RAM, 48MB of extra CHIP RAM, support for 2MB ROMs, 24-bit AHI sound, Picasso96 compatible RTG board capable of 1920x1080 resolution and full colour display (although not at the same time).

The Replay board can be easily expanded with different sorts of daughterboards. For example the one which I have made has a real 68060 CPU running at 106MHz, 128MB of local SDRAM, High Speed USB host controller, Fast Ethernet controller, RTC, micro SD card socket, TOSLINK optical audio output.

The Replay is meant to be a multi system platform which is not only limited to be Amiga compatible. Mike is working hard on other cores and having him as main developer and supporter is the best recommendation.

Bringing Replay to the market has taken longer than anybody would have expected. No one who hasn't participated in this project does realize how much work has been put into it.

My FPGA board is a matter of future and will be a more advanced version of the Replay board focusing mainly on the Amiga platform. Since I've got my Replay board for over 3 years and it is still struggling to get to wider audience I cannot recommend to anyone waiting for my new one.
Old 17 February 2013, 16:00   #37
Dopuser

Btw: what about kickstart in FPGA Arcade? Is it possible to re-kick with i.e. RemApollo like software there ? Or some hand made ready-to-use kickstart required ?
Old 17 February 2013, 16:08   #38
mfilos
Paranoid Amigoid

AFAIK It's like minimig which means you load the kickstart of your choice via the OSD feature.
Old 17 February 2013, 16:12   #39
yaqube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopuser View Post
Btw: what about kickstart in FPGA Arcade? Is it possible to re-kick with i.e. RemApollo like software there ? Or some hand made ready-to-use kickstart required ?
A Kickstart image (unencrypted) is loaded from the SD card into RAM after every FPGA boot process. Then you can always reload another kickstart image whenever you want (there is such option in the OSD menu). No need for RemApollo or SKick type programs.
Old 17 February 2013, 17:57   #40
lolafg

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by yaqube View Post
No, the Minimig board is not abandoned, it will get an update after the Minimig AGA core for the Replay board will be ready.

It depends on what you want to use it for.

The Minimig board has the highest compatibility because it has a real 68000 CPU. Although there are plans and some work has been done to recreate cycle perfect 68000 CPU core (which would improve compatibility of other Minimig's ports like Chameleon 64, C-One, MiST etc) it's long time ahead.
So if you want to play OCS/ECS Amiga games and watch demos there is no better choice.
Well , if you are always in Minimig ,( that is the best new for me ), it will stay with me !!

I was thinking this morning in what i do with my Minimig and what i did with classics Amiga i had in the past and the answer is Gaming so i don't need more than the Minimig even if i miss some Aga games .

Just one more question about Minimig , would it be possible to make a ram board for it as Kipper2K ones wich plug on the 68000 cpu ?

Thanks for your answer.

@ Lord Aga , i understand better your point of view now