English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 23 January 2016, 14:27   #1
techguruuk
Dan Wood

New Retro Gaming Podcast with Jon Hare/Sensible Software

Hey guys, would love to get your opinion on our new weekly audio podcast!

It's called The Retro Hour, presented by Dan Wood and Ravi Abbott. Being Amiga fans, there's lots of miggy content in there including interviews with Jon Hare, Allister Brimble and lots more:

http://theretrohour.com

You can stream/download from the links below:

The Retro Hour - Episode 3 (Paul Drury - Retro Gamer Magazine)

This week Dan, Ravi and Joe chat about this week's big retro gaming/technology stories. Then we reminisce about the arcade days, 8-bit era and more with Paul Drury from Retro Gamer Magazine!

https://soundcloud.com/the-retro-hou...gamer-magazine

The Retro Hour - Episode 2 (Jon Hare - Sensible Software)

In this episode week we catch up with Jon Hare from Sensible Software about Sensible Soccer, Cannon Fodder, game design and his latest project. Plus, all this week's big retro gaming/tech stories.

https://soundcloud.com/the-retro-hou...sible-software

The Retro Hour - Episode 1 (Allister Brimble)

Welcome to our first episode of The Retro Hour! This week Dan and Ravi discuss the latest news in retro gaming and technology. Plus, a fascinating interview with legendary Amiga game musician Allister Brimble!

https://soundcloud.com/the-retro-hou...ur-episode-one

You can also listen on Youtube, if that's your thing:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0d...tYuqd0el2_Y9YA

Feedback always welcome!

Last edited by techguruuk; 15 February 2016 at 11:38.
Old 23 January 2016, 14:46   #2
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I've listened to the first two and have the third on my phone ready for my walk home later, and I love it. It's all a bit surreal - you have this perfectly polished, smooth radio voice so I feel like I'm listening to mainstream radio, yet you're talking about prehistoric computers that would never get a mention on the big networks.

It looks like you're having no trouble getting some of the key players in the industry onboard, which speaks volumes!
Old 24 January 2016, 15:27   #3
iddqd

Listened to episode 2, good stuff!

Now I wish I had longer to commute to work so I would have time to listen to it regularly.
Old 24 January 2016, 18:27   #4
neil324

Think it's great, with a good format. There is a good mix of current news, nostalgia, anecdotes and opinion, with Dan & Ravi bouncing of each other very well. Then the guest interview at the end. Be interesting to see who you can interview going forward.
Old 24 January 2016, 20:08   #5
Higgy

This sounds great. I will download and listen.
I always enjoy Dan Wood's YouTube videos.
Old 24 January 2016, 20:29   #6
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Subscribed to it, will listen to it while on my way to and off to work.
Thanks.
Old 24 January 2016, 21:58   #7
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

The third episode kicks botty!

If anyone is interested in the long and winding journey towards playing Doom on the Miggy, Google 'Doomed: The Embers of Amiga FPS'. A genuine YouTube gem. Thanks for the tip.

Do you post show notes somewhere so we can check out the news items you refer to? My usual method is to recite the keywords over and over again so they stick in my grey matter for when I have internet access and can Google them. It's not the most foolproof system.

It dawned on me that I've never heard it mentioned on any other podcast that something is "coming up in 35 or 40 minutes" as though we're listening to a live broadcast and time is a factor. It's such a minor detail, yet it somehow evokes a shared, community experience.
Old 26 January 2016, 11:34   #8
rats

Thanks for the great messages of support guys.
Really makes it worth doing.

Me and Dan have been smiling from this thread :P and boy have we got some good guests coming up for the next couple of episodes.......

Ravi

Ps. DreamKatcha for shownotes check out http://theretrohour.com/
Old 27 January 2016, 01:33   #9
-Acid-

I'm loving it too after the first two episodes (I was about to listen the 3rd on youtube today but had to go out on a job just as I pressed play). It's like an extension of Dan's youtube channel, I know Ravi has a youtube channel as well but I definitely think he is more suited to a duo on this podcast. Dan seems to have the gift of the gab when it comes to talking to a camera on his own (he can ramble on with such articulation for an eternity about anything) more than anyone else on youtube imo.

Shame the Jon Hare interview wasn't longer, i've listened to a few interviews he has done over the years and he is a very interesting guest with some great stories and insights.

Looking forward to seeing what's coming next
Old 27 January 2016, 04:40   #10
ReadOnlyCat
Code Kitten

Guys, from the website:
"A weekly Podcast about Retro Gaming from the European Presepective"

My dictionary does not have this word.
Old 27 January 2016, 16:11   #11
Avanze
Amiga User

I like your Youtube channel; keep up the good work.
Old 27 January 2016, 16:26   #12
trydowave

Best all round retro podcast out there in my opinion. Although I am partial to the Amigos podcast for its feverish enthusiasm and love for all things Amiga.
Old 28 January 2016, 16:35   #13
BippyM
Global Moderator

I can't believe you guys are in Nottingham.. Literally where I am

Great stuff and good to listen too

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats View Post
Thanks for the great messages of support guys.
Really makes it worth doing.

Me and Dan have been smiling from this thread :P and boy have we got some good guests coming up for the next couple of episodes.......

Ravi

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I've listened to the first two and have the third on my phone ready for my walk home later, and I love it. It's all a bit surreal - you have this perfectly polished, smooth radio voice so I feel like I'm listening to mainstream radio, yet you're talking about prehistoric computers that would never get a mention on the big networks.

It looks like you're having no trouble getting some of the key players in the industry onboard, which speaks volumes!

When I listened to this earlier I couldn't believe my ears, I know I recognised that voice and so off I went and tadaaaa

http://www.gem106.co.uk/shows/dan-wood/

Last edited by BippyM; 28 January 2016 at 16:47.
Old 28 January 2016, 18:37   #14
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Quote:
Originally Posted by bippym View Post
When I listened to this earlier I couldn't believe my ears, I know I recognised that voice and so off I went and tadaaaa

http://www.gem106.co.uk/shows/dan-wood/
The likeness is uncanny, it's as if he's the same person! It all makes sense now. I've just read you can pick up the station on DAB so that's what I'll be tuning into tomorrow morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rats View Post
Thanks. I missed that what with subscribing via RSS. When you were talking about Retr0brighting yellow computers, Dan mentioned something about a 'blacklight' Amiga if I heard correctly. I can't find any info on this so maybe I'm just losing the plot.
Old 29 January 2016, 10:11   #15
rats

Quote:
The likeness is uncanny, it's as if he's the same person! It all makes sense now. I've just read you can pick up the station on DAB so that's what I'll be tuning into tomorrow morning.
Hah you found out his secret identity! The truth behind the radio quailty voice. Think he's doing the Sunday night dance show on gem now.
Quote:
Thanks. I missed that what with subscribing via RSS. When you were talking about Retr0brighting yellow computers, Dan mentioned something about a 'blacklight' Amiga if I heard correctly. I can't find any info on this so maybe I'm just losing the plot.
Yeah you can use a uv light with retro bright. Its supposed to make it more evenly spread I hear.

I can't believe you guys are in Nottingham.. Literally where I am

We should meet up for an Amiga session ��
Old 06 February 2016, 22:04   #16
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

Ah, thanks for clearing that up. I imagined he might have pimped up his Amiga with spray paint. I remember seeing a multi-coloured paint splatter effect daubed over an Amiga 500 featured on the cover of CU Amiga a lifetime ago, and an amateur version put in an appearance on eBay last week.

Congrats on kicking TWIT's backside! I think I'm largely on my own here, but I find it so dry and tedious I can't stand more than 10 minutes of it.

You were both right about The Bug joystick by the way. Most people had the standard black one, yet Cheetah also produced a special edition 'slime green' version with red eyes.

The range of joysticks which included the Terminator and Simpsons figures - also made by Cheetah - were known as CharacteriSticks. Have you noticed how the ones you see on eBay are often boxed and in pristine condition? I don't think this is a coincidence.
Old 07 February 2016, 18:50   #17
Higgy

I have not listened to the latest one, but from the episodes i have heard so far, I like!

Keep up the great work.
Old 07 February 2016, 19:00   #18
iddqd

You aught to edit your first post and add:
http://theretrohour.com/

to the top. (When I google "the retro hour" it is the 10th match.)
Old 08 February 2016, 12:45   #19
rats

Quote:
Congrats on kicking TWIT's backside! I think I'm largely on my own here, but I find it so dry and tedious I can't stand more than 10 minutes of it.
Yeah I find twit boring but the main thing I listen to is 'The Tech Guy', great show. Thanks for the kind comments

Quote:
Originally Posted by iddqd View Post
You aught to edit your first post and add:
http://theretrohour.com/

to the top. (When I google "the retro hour" it is the 10th match.)
Do you mean the first post on the thread? I will get dan to change that. With google there was a cocktail podcast called Retro Hour Cocktails lol so we are trying to push that out of the way, but stuff like being on retrogamer.net will help push us up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
I have not listened to the latest one, but from the episodes i have heard so far, I like!

Keep up the great work.
Thanks, glad you are enjoying it so far
Old 11 February 2016, 21:13   #20
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I've been checking out both of the new Spectrum throwbacks since you mentioned them on the show.

The full size 1:1 copy is actually just a Bluetooth keyboard that interfaces with a Spectrum emulator app. Beyond looking a heck of a lot like the original dead-flesh Speccy, there's nothing inside it that makes it any more of a 'recreated' Spectrum than your average cordless keyboard. A tad disappointing.

Interestingly Elite had to license the name from Sky who now own the rights, only they 'forgot' to pay the developers of the games they make available separately via in-app purchases. Apparently the apps are plagued by technical issues, and the Windows version doesn't even have sound. Lots of buyers have returned them in disgust.

The joypad-like Vega on the other hand looks cack, but does technically have a Speccy brain in that the games are built in and the device can be used stand-alone via your telly box. This is the one endorsed by Sir Clive Sinclair the manufacturers hasten to point out on their home page to distance themselves from the dodgy Elite model.

I've read some reviews of this one too, and the consensus seems to be that it's an overpriced gimmick, many of the games that require a keyboard obviously can't be played properly and the RGB connectivity was a major goof given that many modern TVs don't support these old cables. A couple of people also pointed out that the £300 price-tag is insane. Was it really going to retail for £300 in the early days?!?!

My advice would be to get the full size version to put on the mantelpiece once they hit the Poundland bins, and keep playing the classics via an emulator on your PC.

Quote:
I don't want to piss on anyone's chips as the phrase goes...
I've heard Dan say this a few times now and have had some strange looks from people on the bus as I LOL for no apparent reason.

On which planet is this a phrase? In Manchester, if we want to spoil someone's day we tend to "rain on their parade". It must be pretty grim in Nottingham if this is common practice.

Last edited by dreamkatcha; 13 February 2016 at 22:23.