English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Home Projects > project.EAB

Old 17 January 2005, 22:11   #21
Amiga1992

Fact is, GUEST posting is only allowed in the PROBLEMS section. This place is NOT for requesting games. From time to time some sod comes and requests a game and leaves his email address in the problems forum, just to see if he can get away with it. These people never come back, obv. I always delete these posts.

Second, deleting the lame request posts straight away might not be the solution since it will bring a hoard of whiners into the subject. I know it would be simpler (god knows we've got to clean up the requests section, for it's full of shit. But it's not that easy! once a request thread has developed into something else!), but there's always someone you will piss off with such an action, so what to do?

I don't see there is a problem, except for the whining of a few people about how supposedly rude we are, which I strongly disagree with. As Codetapper says, I think the EAB people is way too good to all people, even those making lame requests, demands or problem posts.

Before the Fantastic Dizzy thread, when was the last time you saw a reply like jim's ?
Old 17 January 2005, 22:17   #22
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
I like CodeTapper's delete post idea, which is why I did originally write about a (f)lame section for where posts get moved to.

If you just delete a post you know the person is going to write another one saying "Oi what happen my post". Move it to the (f)lame section and at least everyone see's what's happened.
It just doesn't work either. People will say "why did you move the post? It is unfair!"

How I see it, me as a mod, can't have a go at this sort of things. I mean there's always someone who will complain about my judgement, disagree with it. What I think has to happen is self regulation of the content in the place, and polite and angry replies to a post are what construct the way the content appears, I think. In the aforementioned Fantastic Dizzy thread, after the replies, the guy registerd and showed his true colors. We know how to act from now on regarding him. This happened naturally, and I'm glad a rotting fruit has been foun so we don't eat it. It's auto-policing, this needs no mods.
Old 17 January 2005, 22:18   #23
fisken uno
Zone Friend

I've NEVER found the people of EAB to be rude! Not when I was a n00b, and not now (though I'm not here as often anymore and rarely post). There have been a few people that I've found rude now and then (I've been one of them at times ), but all in all I'd rather say that especially the mods are too nice at times. I mean, seriously if people don't read the FAQ and/or use common sense there's no reason why you should put up with their stupid shit. I don't find EAB even remotely as elitist as most of the boards I've been to.

Old 17 January 2005, 22:38   #24
Peanutuk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
..the guy registerd and showed his true colors. We know how to act from now on regarding him. This happened naturally, and I'm glad a rotting fruit has been foun so we don't eat it. It's auto-policing, this needs no mods.
Did he really show his true colours or did he react to an extremely rude and unhelpful response? If so, that reaction is at least partly responsible for his future response, or would you condemn someone who hits back when he is attacked a violent person? Showing his true colours and all!

As Freckle seems to be the newest member to post in this thread maybe she can say why there was such a delay inbetween her first and future posts?

The question - it seems we need reminding - is whether the EAB could make it easier for new users to enter the fold, it isn't about elitism or moderation.

Does anybody have any other concerns? Let's hear them.
Old 17 January 2005, 23:06   #25
Marcuz

BippyM i understand your points but i don't agree, i think you are forcing exemples and stretching metaphores a bit too much. i mean, not a problem if it is useful for you to explain a broad casistic, but i don't agree that the behaviour on newcomers is bad, when i mean that it's better than many other forums, i mean it, it's largely ok. it doesnt need to be better, why? internet is just a meeting place for ideas it is not the place where The Truth is nicely and politely provided. i like it rough. in no point of what i've said i've suggested elitism or the like, but i'm strongly against guide lept by lept ppl (anywhere), where would it be the feat of manage and arrange what does surround you if everything would be so easily provided? obviously i digress.

so in a sentence: the behaviour on newbies is ok to me.
Old 17 January 2005, 23:07   #26
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peanutuk
As Freckle seems to be the newest member to post in this thread maybe she can say why there was such a delay inbetween her first and future posts?
because she shut the freck up? no no i'm kiddin
Old 17 January 2005, 23:29   #27
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I also agree that there is a lack of tolerance towards some new users. A recent request for some for hard-to-find/uncommon games also got a standard read-the-FAQ response as the mod replying didn't even bother to read the request properly.

There are of course new members that have an appalling grasp of grammar and spelling or that haven't bothered to read FAQs. Nothing is going to stop this! Being rude to one doesn't help and just leaves an unfriendly thread on the EAB.
Old 17 January 2005, 23:34   #28
Freckle
I like hats

Location: I fell down the stairs and bumped my head, so I am kind of half-in, half-out of the broom cupboard
Quote:
OK.

When I first started I, like many new people, asked a couple of questions. They weren't obvious questions, so you can't accuse me of not reading the FAQs. I read all of the posting rules, introduced myself and made my posts and I found people to be very helpful and welcoming, but it was automatically assumed that once I had found the information that I was looking for that I would disappear, never to be heard of again. Some people were unnecessarilyrude, naming me a 'noob' who was just there for help and then would f*** off and never be heard of again. Unfortunately this turns into a self-fulfilling prophecy - why exactly would I want to come back after that?!

Generally I think it is a great place here, though I do feel like it is just easier to withold my actual opinions sometimes when I shouldn't have to, because sometimes peoples' responses can be unnecessarily rude (and I am not "whining" about this, just doing what I should be entitled to do, and expressing my opinion, which I appear to be able to do without name calling and a string of expletives).
Old 17 January 2005, 23:53   #29
Jim

Easy solution (TM)

This applies to the following threads when a member creates a new post:

prb.WinUAE
prb.OtherUAE
prb.WinFellow
prb.Hardware
prb.Games
prb.Demos
prb.Apps

req.Old Rare Games
req.Demos
req.Apps
req.Modules

The below only applies if the members post count is < 50 (to stop it annoying people who have been here long enough not to have any excuses).

When creating a new prb. post the member is first presented with the following which they have to tick to agree to:

"Have you read the FAQ? Have you searched the board for a solution? Are you going to provide full details?"

When creating a new req. post the member is presented with this instead:

"Have you read the FAQ? Are you sure this is a valid request?"

This way any member who ticks these boxes and then proceeds to make a lame request is a legitimate target for "member correction" (flaming).

After ticking the box and hitting OK they are then able to write a post as usual.

Old 18 January 2005, 00:04   #30
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Yeah... i know... my very first post was a "having all those rights as a Amiga user, i dare you to gimme, gimme those phuckin' games " request...

But i never felt like anyone even literally named me a 'noob'.
Yeah, i know it's either 'they' had a "god bless those stupid/dumm/ignorant/phuckeen noobs" day, or i didn't understand what they were saing (yuoo talkeen too mee? ) since my lack of english... knowledge about english... ...geez here it goes again ...
Old 18 January 2005, 01:18   #31
Dastardly
Into the Wonderful

Im with Bippy, Peanut, Freckle and Cody here.

Almost everything I have to say on the subject has already been said.

Its time we had more tolerance and less arrogance here at EAB. Some 'members' have become far too comfortable and seem to consider it their right to attack newbies just because they have been here for a while.

Its pathetic.
Old 18 January 2005, 01:21   #32
oldpx

We need less trolling for sure.

Old 18 January 2005, 01:41   #33
Amiga1992

Quote:
Did he really show his true colours or did he react to an extremely rude and unhelpful response?
Come on, with this in mind one could justify anyone, even Adolf Hitler.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
A recent request for some for hard-to-find/uncommon games also got a standard read-the-FAQ response as the mod replying didn't even bother to read the request properly.
Why don't you post a link to the thread and say I did it? Be direct.
I don't see a standard "read the FAQ" response to be rude. Why is this? I never understood it, it's over-reaction from your part. The thread you mention about did not get a standard "read the FAQ" response by the way, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim
Easy solution (TM)
[...]
After ticking the box and hitting OK they are then able to write a post as usual.
Not really easy. I wouldn't define as "easy" to mess up wih the vBulletin code to add this functionality, and I can't see RCK being arsed to do so snce he's got other things he's working on ATM.
Old 18 January 2005, 01:50   #34
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Why don't you post a link to the thread and say I did it? Be direct.
I don't see a standard "read the FAQ" response to be rude. Why is this? I never understood it, it's over-reaction from your part. The thread you mention about did not get a standard "read the FAQ" response by the way, it was a bit tongue-in-cheek.
As I was using it as an example of a general problem rather than trying to point fingers. I'd need a whole separate thread to cover you, Akira!
Old 18 January 2005, 01:53   #35
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyJarrett
As I was using it as an example of a general problem rather than trying to point fingers. I'd need a whole separate thread to cover you, Akira!
Thanks for a second attack, I apreciate it. By the way you STILL do not explain how a standard "read the FAQ" reply is offensive, agressive or whatever other amusing adjecive is in your mind regarding it.
Old 18 January 2005, 02:12   #36
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

I guess the adjective "careless" would suit the example I gave.
Old 18 January 2005, 02:16   #37
Amiga1992

To me, not feeding people in the mouth with a normal answer is caring about them. We're not talking about explaining Einstein's relativity laws, we're talking about something one can easily find and utilize with two grams of effort. You like to encourage laziness. Your call.

By the way we're talking about a normal "read the faq reply", not the one you pointed at which, as I said, was not normal.
Old 18 January 2005, 03:04   #38
BippyM
Global Moderator

Why not when a user registers and the first email is sent that they reply to is sent, why not include the URL to the sites with adf's on them BEFORE the link for site activation.
Old 18 January 2005, 04:15   #39
Jim

@Akira & CodyJarret.

That's it. You 2 mods show us lesser members how to get along

Now on another note:

I'm getting just as sick of all of Bippy's hold the newbies cock while he takes a piss answers as I am with the newbies who don't read the FAQs themselves. Don't people realise the more you make things too easy for a newbie the more likely they are to ignore rules, common sense and not think for themselves? Thus more likely to post something lame.

Dastardly is only in here having a dig at me because he hasn't got Parallax Scroll to fight with.

I suggest Bippy, Peanut, Datardly, Cody and whoever else has their own eab.kindergarden section where they moderate and look after all the newbie babes. They can go off to other threads making requests on behalf of them etc... etc...

Last edited by Jim; 18 January 2005 at 04:58.

Old 18 January 2005, 04:34   #40
Fred the Fop
flaming faggot

EAB has become to damn bloated. RCk, it really is the best gaming forum around, or amoungst the best.
But it is too unweildly and unintuitive. Far too many sub forums.
Pare it down.
Sleek Mac style, less big PC style.