English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 23 January 2015, 15:49   #1
Leandro Jardim

Some shader variable that not resets between each WinUAE frame

There is some HLSL value that increases or change between each WinUAE frame, and that simply not resets to 0 or to another value at every frame? Thanks.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 23 January 2015 at 16:09.
Old 23 January 2015, 20:20   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

What are you trying to do?

You can add your own variables to shader files if you want something that keeps its value between frames.

Or do you want some kind of frame counter variable that counts automatically?
Old 25 January 2015, 03:47   #3
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
What are you trying to do?

You can add your own variables to shader files if you want something that keeps its value between frames.

Or do you want some kind of frame counter variable that counts automatically?
Nothing dangerous, I think. It will be used only on my home with WinUAE.

I want to make a perlin noise effect for WinUAE, I found the algorithm in the web, but it needs a "time" value which I guess need to be replaced by some kind of frame number or some other random number.

My "problem" is that I dont know if is possible to get the current frame number of the WinUAE display, and when I try to use a random number generator in place, the seed variable is lost at every frame and resets to its default value, which then unfortunately I get an Amiga display with a static perlin noise picture on the screen.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 25 January 2015 at 04:31.
Old 25 January 2015, 13:50   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Not sure if it helps but next beta will have "framecounter" shader float variable that increases by 1 each frame.
Old 26 January 2015, 09:20   #5
Leandro Jardim

Thanks Toni.

That will help to give some randomness in dynamic effects.
Old 03 February 2015, 05:52   #6
Leandro Jardim

I downloaded Beta 7, what do I need to access the framecounter variable, if I need something to access it? Please. I am asking because in my tests it doesnt did any difference, I am guessing it is always zero and I am not using it right.

To use it I put at the top:

Code:
extern float framecounter;
I guess its wrong? It does need anything new in the _winuae.fx file?

I am playing with HLSL in WinUAE to give the illusion of more colors in my 16/64 colors "pixellated" Workbench. My plan is to create a simple CRT filter with snippets I found in the net, actually blurring, blooming, color correction, ghosting and static.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 03 February 2015 at 06:10.
Old 03 February 2015, 07:11   #7
Vot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leandro Jardim View Post
I downloaded Beta 7, what do I need to access the framecounter variable, if I need something to access it? Please. I am asking because in my tests it doesnt did any difference, I am guessing it is always zero and I am not using it right.

To use it I put at the top:

Code:
extern float framecounter;
I guess its wrong? It does need anything new in the _winuae.fx file?

I am playing with HLSL in WinUAE to give the illusion of more colors in my 16/64 colors "pixellated" Workbench. My plan is to create a simple CRT filter with snippets I found in the net, actually blurring, blooming, color correction, ghosting and static.

Sounds interesting.. Post your shader source when you have completed it if you don't mind sharing...
Old 03 February 2015, 18:49   #8
Leandro Jardim

I think I cant post it here.

Its basically the same shader that EAB user "TysonJacobs" posted here at EAB, but with color correction controls (hue, saturation, brightness and contrast). For now it lacks TV static noise and ghosting. I ran into some "problems", because I tried to implement ghosting but it is occupying too much GPU time on my computer. I dunno why, I must made something wrong with it. So I think I cannot implement ghosting the way I did, or my GPU is too slow for the job, but I think that static noise is very possible.

Everything depends on if TysonJacobs lets me "borrow" his work, he looks to be a so much nice guy, and I dont want to run intro problems with him.

Also, the color correction controls are very imprecise, and sometimes you get very different results from a real CRT. I now understand why Toni blame the color correction algorithms in use today, and wants to wait until he finds a good algorithm for WinUAE.

So I think if I get authorization from "Tyson", I can publish his modified work.

Last edited by Leandro Jardim; 03 February 2015 at 19:01.
Old 03 February 2015, 19:10   #9
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

framecounter only worked in _winuae.fx, not in any other shader files. Fixed in http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip
Old 03 February 2015, 19:18   #10
Leandro Jardim

Thanks.
Old 03 February 2015, 23:07   #11
Leandro Jardim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
framecounter only worked in _winuae.fx, not in any other shader files. Fixed in http://www.winuae.net/files/b/winuae.zip
Hmm. There are days that I think in hacking WinUAE source code and add the features that I want, specially things related to GUI and Filters. But I have my own projects that I never start and even some that I never finish.

The main cause is that every code that I compile on my computer is linked with a "spooky" gxx_personality symbol that I dont know from where it comes. No matter what compiler that I use, no matter what code that I compile, it has been like this, since the beginning.

That symbol and others that are linked by Windows or the compiler (?!) seems to be the cause of all the problems I have with Windows and my projects.