English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > New to Emulation or Amiga scene

Old 27 March 2013, 12:54   #21
thomas

Open a Shell window and enter Ping <ip-address>, just like on all other computers.

The Shell is located in the System drawer of your boot drive.
You can also select "execute command" from the menu and enter NewShell.
Old 27 March 2013, 15:51   #22
nineoc

Thank you. The latest:

--The Amiga seems to be able to ping the Mac and the PC's
This is what I see in the Shell when pinging

64 bytes from 192.168.1.64: icmp_seq=3 ttl=64 time=1ms
which repeats until stopped by pressing space bar.

--Mac and PC's still cannot ping the Amiga

--AE on the main PC can find Explorer on the Amiga

--AE on the secondary PC cannot find Explorer on the Amiga

Cannot exit the shell after pausing ping, must reboot the Amiga.
Is there a command to exit ping mode and get back to the beginning?
Am able to exit shell from there once ping is off.
Old 27 March 2013, 17:56   #23
thomas

Ok, in the Amiga's shell window enter these commands:

Code:
cd amitcp:
version amitcp full
What does it print?

After that do this:

Code:
cd amitcp: (not needed if you are still in the same window as above)
lha -erax a ram:db db
Now there should be a file called db.lha in RAM Disk. Transfer it to your PC and attach it here please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nineoc View Post
Cannot exit the shell after pausing ping, must reboot the Amiga.
Is there a command to exit ping mode and get back to the beginning?
Am able to exit shell from there once ping is off.
You can press Ctrl-C to stop it.

If you use this command, ping will automatically exit after 4 pings:

ping -c4 <ip-address>
Old 27 March 2013, 20:37   #24
nineoc

Great, thanks. Am at work at the moment, so will follow up this evening, and get back to you ASAP.
Old 28 March 2013, 06:03   #25
nineoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
Ok, in the Amiga's shell window enter these commands:

Code:
cd amitcp:
version amitcp full
What does it print?

After that do this:

Code:
cd amitcp: (not needed if you are still in the same window as above)
lha -erax a ram:db db
Now there should be a file called db.lha in RAM Disk. Transfer it to your PC and attach it here please.

You can press Ctrl-C to stop it.

If you use this command, ping will automatically exit after 4 pings:

ping -c4 <ip-address>

AmiTCP/IP Pro 4.3 (03/26/96)

Here is file, thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: lha db.lha (13.2 KB, 131 views)
Old 28 March 2013, 10:34   #26
thomas

Quote:
Have the info you requested, if you are still interested.
I am very interested. I now can look at the Amiga's config, but I also need the other computers to get an overview over the network.

I also need the Amiga Explorer properites. Especially the IP address you use to connect to the Amiga from your main PC.
Old 28 March 2013, 10:50   #27
thomas

Quote:
AmiTCP/IP Pro 4.3 (03/26/96)

Here is file, thanks.
A first look over the config didn't show any reason why the Amiga should not respond to a ping.

Perhaps the configured gateway is wrong. What is the IP address of your router? The config says it is 192.168.1.254.

And the IP address of the Amiga is configured as 192.168.1.125. Perhaps it is duplicate? I suppose that the Amiga is the only computer with a fixed IP address. All others probably use DHCP.

Does the router's manual say anything about the range of IP addresses it uses for DHCP? My router uses 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.200. Therefore I use 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.99 for computers with fixed IP addresses.
Old 29 March 2013, 02:44   #28
nineoc

Quote:
A first look over the config didn't show any reason why the Amiga should not respond to a ping.

Perhaps the configured gateway is wrong. What is the IP address of your router? The config says it is 192.168.1.254.

And the IP address of the Amiga is configured as 192.168.1.125. Perhaps it is duplicate? I suppose that the Amiga is the only computer with a fixed IP address. All others probably use DHCP.

Does the router's manual say anything about the range of IP addresses it uses for DHCP? My router uses 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.200. Therefore I use 192.168.1.1 through 192.168.1.99 for computers with fixed IP addresses.

Router and Amiga IP addresses are as stated. Yes, my tech at the time fixed the Amiga, the rest are DHCP. They range from .64 through .68.

Router is only three weeks old, from ISP, have not looked through manual.

Not sure he left one, will investigate further. ISP is local telephone company, Telus.com, British Columbia region. Will see if there is an online manual and let you know what I find.

Thanks for taking the time and effort.
Old 29 March 2013, 03:19   #29
nineoc

Quote:

The latest:

Do not have a full manual, just a quick setup guide that does not answer your question. Speaking with the ISP Tech Support, I have been informed that the router uses the range of 192.168.1.2, all the way up to 192.168.1.253.

He also informed me that the DNS server does not like fixed IP Addresses, and the Amiga should be set to automatic from hard code.

The Ethernet connection in the Amiga is bulit into the DKB Wildfire 060
card inside it. It was configured by the tech who installed it years ago, and at the moment I do not know how to check or change that setting.

If you have the patience to walk me through the procedure, I would be happy to do so. Failing that I can do some research on my own to determine the procedure.

What I find interesting, not knowing much about the way the computers communicate with each other is that if I access the interface for the router, the Amiga shows up in the list of connected machines, the Amiga can access the net, it can Ping the other computers, can connect to the Main PC via Explorer, but cannot receive a Ping or connect to the second PC via Explorer.

Do you find this odd or not?
Old 29 March 2013, 09:07   #30
thomas

If I go to this page: http://www.telus.com/content/help/internet/
I can choose from six different routers. Is yours among them? I am sure it's possible to find the complete manual on the internet if one knows the brand and model.

Unfortunately AmiTCP does not support any kind of "automatic" through Ethernet.

Please go to your main PC, open a DOS window, enter ipconfig /all >ipconf.txt and attach the resulting ipconf.txt file to this thread. Do the same with the other PC which cannot connect to the Amiga.

Also right-click on the Amiga Explorer icon and select properties. Make sure that on the second PC the properties are the same as on the main PC. Password should be AExplorer if you didn't change it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	aeproperties.png
Views:	197
Size:	14.7 KB
ID:	34878  
Old 29 March 2013, 22:06   #31
nineoc

Quote:
I can choose from six different routers. Is yours among them? I am sure it's possible to find the complete manual on the internet if one knows the brand and model.

Please go to your main PC, open a DOS window, enter ipconfig /all >ipconf.txt and attach the resulting ipconf.txt file to this thread. Do the same with the other PC which cannot connect to the Amiga.

Also right-click on the Amiga Explorer icon and select properties. Make sure that on the second PC the properties are the same as on the main PC. Password should be AExplorer if you didn't change it.

Having technical difficulties. Will attempt to resolve over the weekend and get back on Monday, if not sooner.

Happy Easter.
Old 01 April 2013, 00:42   #32
nineoc

Quote:

---Router is the ZyZEL. Checked manual to determine IP ADDRESS range, and did not locate. See previous reply for ISP tech statement re: IP range.

" Speaking with the ISP Tech Support, I have been informed that the router uses the range of 192.168.1.2, all the way up to 192.168.1.253. "

---Understand no "automatic".

---AE Properties the same on both PC's. Password has never been changed on Old PC.

---Config text files attached and labelled accordingly.
Attached Files
File Type: txt mainipconf.txt (1.1 KB, 120 views)
File Type: txt oldipconf.txt (1.1 KB, 96 views)

Last edited by nineoc; 01 April 2013 at 00:43. Reason: additional info
Old 01 April 2013, 04:47   #33
ptyerman

Had AExplorer connection problems myself until yesterday. It is the first time I have installed it and it's been used over TCP/IP, nothing I did would allow it to connect and no error box would pop up when it was double clicked. What sorted it for me (and I think you may be on the right track with the router) is opening and forwarding port 356 TCP and UDP for explorer.exe in the router. All problems went away instantly and I now can browse my Amiga freely.
Old 01 April 2013, 06:17   #34
nineoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
Had AExplorer connection problems myself until yesterday. It is the first time I have installed it and it's been used over TCP/IP, nothing I did would allow it to connect and no error box would pop up when it was double clicked. What sorted it for me (and I think you may be on the right track with the router) is opening and forwarding port 356 TCP and UDP for explorer.exe in the router. All problems went away instantly and I now can browse my Amiga freely.
How does that explain that one PC currently connects properly and the other does not ? Keeping in mind that the second PC did previously connect, albeit some time ago.
Old 01 April 2013, 10:48   #35
ptyerman

In my router config I can forward ports from any IP address/PC to any IP address/ports. I set up my router to forward the ports for my main PC only, I guess if I tried to connect from one of my other PC's I would have the same problem until I set the router again. Might not be anything to do with your problem but it's only a suggestion and something to think of.
Old 01 April 2013, 11:05   #36
thomas

I got the manual from there: http://www.zyxel.com/support/downloa..._b101_12.shtml

Chapter 2.1.1 on page 33 tells you how to access the web configurator. The IP address has been changed in your environment, though. You have to enter http://192.168.1.254 in a web browser. User id and password should have been given to you by the technician who configured the router.

Chapter 8 "Home Networking" describes the router configuration in detail. Please make hardcopies of the LAN setup screen (page 130), the static DHCP screen (page 132), the routing screen (page 148) and the access control screen (page 220).

Quote:
AE Properties the same on both PC's
And what are these properties?
Old 01 April 2013, 18:40   #37
nineoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptyerman View Post
In my router config I can forward ports from any IP address/PC to any IP address/ports. I set up my router to forward the ports for my main PC only, I guess if I tried to connect from one of my other PC's I would have the same problem until I set the router again. Might not be anything to do with your problem but it's only a suggestion and something to think of.
Very interesting, thank you.

Quote:
I got the manual from there: http://www.zyxel.com/support/downloa..._b101_12.shtml

Chapter 2.1.1 on page 33 tells you how to access the web configurator. The IP address has been changed in your environment, though. You have to enter http://192.168.1.254 in a web browser. User id and password should have been given to you by the technician who configured the router.

Chapter 8 "Home Networking" describes the router configuration in detail. Please make hardcopies of the LAN setup screen (page 130), the static DHCP screen (page 132), the routing screen (page 148) and the access control screen (page 220).

The latest:

The manual you referred to is not the same as the one I initially looked at. Yours is more comprehensive than what I found, which appears to be more of a simplified user-guide, so thank you for that. In following your directions in getting to the Static DHCP screen, it asks for the Amiga's MAC Address. The ethernet feature is built into the DKB Wildfire 060 card, and I do not know how to find it. Will experiment some more to find it.

As for the AE Properties on the two PC's, am having another intermittent problem with locating them. I cannot always get the IP Address window visible on either one of the PC's when clicking on the Properties item in the menu.

More experimentation required to get them back.

Last edited by nineoc; 02 April 2013 at 03:26. Reason: Back-to-back posts merged.
Old 04 April 2013, 00:59   #38
nineoc

Quote:

---Properties are connection settings and connection type.

Under settings, both PC's have the same IP Address setting, and under Connection type, both are TCP/IP.

---As for your router instructions, they are very helpful, BUT:

When typing ifconfig in a shell in the Amiga, I get the ethernet MAC address for the Amiga, BUT:

the wildfire 060 address configuration is not all numbers, but alphanumeric in content

It is: 0:60:30:ff:ff:a6, and the system rejects it when typing it into the Router Static MAC Address field.

Seems it wants numbers instead of letters.

???