English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 13 December 2012, 13:08   #1
mark_k

Automatic window resizing and track display issue

First a minor issue with the status bar track display. (I mentioned this in another thread but only by editing my post, so maybe you missed it.) Boot a demo which kills the system so trackdisk.device doesn't step the heads. Wait until demo loads and disk activity stops. Change graphics API. The floppy drive track indicators are blank. The indicators are only refreshed when the drive is next accessed. The same happens if you start with borderless window then change to standard.

A couple of suggestions related to window sizing. Currently WinUAE behaves differently with respect to window sizing for native chipset (including A2024) versus RTG modes. For native modes WinUAE uses the user-specified window size. If that is larger than the native mode in use, the native display is centred in the larger window. For RTG modes WinUAE always resizes the window to match the RTG mode size. The window reverts to the user-specified size when a native mode screen is next shown.

Suggestion 1: Most of the time the RTG-mode-auto-window-sizing is a good thing. But if the user already manually set the window size larger than the RTG mode, the window doesn't need to be resized. Example: user manually set window size to 1024x800. Normal native modes are centred in the window. User changes Workbench to RTG 800x600 and the window decreases in size, even though the RTG display would fit within the existing size. You could have logic like this when an RTG mode becomes active:
Code:
  new_width = max(user_specified_width, RTG_mode_width)
  new_height = max(user_specified_height, RTG_mode_height)
  need_to_resize = (new_width > user_specified_width) || (new_height > user_specified_height)
  if (need_to_resize)
    [handle changing window size]
Suggestion 2: Add an option to make A2024 modes behave like RTG modes with respect to automatic window sizing. So if the window size is 720x568, with auto-sizing enabled the size would increase to 1024x800/1024 when an A2024 mode becomes active, just like RTG modes. [At the moment the user has to manually increase window size to show the whole A2024 display.]
Old 13 December 2012, 13:50   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
First a minor issue with the status bar track display. (I mentioned this in another thread but only by editing my post, so maybe you missed it.) Boot a demo which kills the system so trackdisk.device doesn't step the heads. Wait until demo loads and disk activity stops. Change graphics API. The floppy drive track indicators are blank. The indicators are only refreshed when the drive is next accessed. The same happens if you start with borderless window then change to standard.
I noticed but this is another after 2.5.1 stuff.

Quote:
A couple of suggestions related to window sizing. Currently WinUAE behaves differently with respect to window sizing for native chipset (including A2024) versus RTG modes. For native modes WinUAE uses the user-specified window size. If that is larger than the native mode in use, the native display is centred in the larger window. For RTG modes WinUAE always resizes the window to match the RTG mode size. The window reverts to the user-specified size when a native mode screen is next shown.
Tick "Scale if smaller option" in Expansion panel?

Quote:
Suggestion 2: Add an option to make A2024 modes behave like RTG modes with respect to automatic window sizing. So if the window size is 720x568, with auto-sizing enabled the size would increase to 1024x800/1024 when an A2024 mode becomes active, just like RTG modes. [At the moment the user has to manually increase window size to show the whole A2024 display.]
From emulation point of view it is chipset mode and chipset modes don't have "size" or "resolution". It needs extra hacks. Possible later.
Old 13 December 2012, 14:37   #3
mark_k

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Tick "Scale if smaller option" in Expansion panel?
I don't want RTG modes to be scaled (it looks bad), just an option for them to be centred in the window without changing the window size if it's already large enough.
Old 13 December 2012, 19:41   #4
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

I guess something like "Do not resize if smaller" is needed. Does the same as the other option but only centers.
Old 14 December 2012, 15:11   #5
mark_k

Yep, that's pretty much what my suggestion 1 was, except in far fewer words. It would stop the window size changing back and forth if the user switches between native and RTG modes many times in a session. And it would also allow the user to have a black border around RTG mode screens, if they prefer that.
Old 26 December 2012, 20:50   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

"Always center" added. Usual url to winuae.zip. Not really tested, it is your problem
Old 26 December 2012, 21:16   #7
mark_k

Okay, after a quick test of the Always center option...

With RTG modes smaller than the manually-set window size, I noticed the mouse pointer isn't clipped to the RTG display area. E.g. move it to bottom right of screen and the pointer hangs off the corner of the RTG display area. I'm not sure whether that's a bug or is actually a good thing.

When switching to an RTG mode which is larger than the current window size, the window does not increase in size to accommodate the full RTG display. Open question: when using such a large RTG display, if the window size were increased automatically, should it revert to the user-specified size when a smaller screen comes to the front?
Old 27 December 2012, 15:37   #8
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark_k View Post
With RTG modes smaller than the manually-set window size, I noticed the mouse pointer isn't clipped to the RTG display area. E.g. move it to bottom right of screen and the pointer hangs off the corner of the RTG display area. I'm not sure whether that's a bug or is actually a good thing.
It is a feature if hardware sprite emulation is active (It is D3D sprite in hardware emulation mode).

Quote:
When switching to an RTG mode which is larger than the current window size, the window does not increase in size to accommodate the full RTG display. Open question: when using such a large RTG display, if the window size were increased automatically, should it revert to the user-specified size when a smaller screen comes to the front?
Getting back to original size probably isn't worth the trouble but I'll add following new feature: if scaling checkbox is also ticked: scale to current window size, do not change window size. If not: increase size of window.

Not fully visible RTG screen can cause side-effects I don't want handle = always scale if window becomes smaller (by user resize)

I think I'll also add RTG integer scaling option (similar to Filter panel integer scale option)

EDIT: Reverting to original size is actually automatic because it simply needs to go back to whatever Display panel window size says.

Last edited by Toni Wilen; 27 December 2012 at 15:50.
Old 27 December 2012, 18:44   #9
mark_k

Quote:
It is a feature if hardware sprite emulation is active (It is D3D sprite in hardware emulation mode).
Ah okay. The pointer is clipped when Hardware sprite emulation is unchecked. (Changing that setting only takes effect if you restart emulation. I noticed that after booting with h/w sprite emulation checked, opening settings window and un-checking it, clicking Restart caused the option to be checked again.)
Quote:
I think I'll also add RTG integer scaling option (similar to Filter panel integer scale option)
That would be very useful for use with AROS, where even 320x200 screens can be RTG.