English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 06 December 2016, 01:50   #1
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

Welcome to the story of the Commodore Amiga by Nostalgia Nerd

Quote:
This episode deals with the "up" part of the story, and takes place during the 1980s. It charts the conception of the Lorraine machine (that would become the first Commodore Amiga), the early years and team spent working on the machine, the buyout of Atari followed by Commodore, the launch of the original Commodore Amiga machine (later renamed the Amiga 1000) and the subsequent Amiga 2000 and Amiga 500 machines which conclude before 1989 is out.
Part 1
[ Show youtube player ]

Write up
http://www.indieretronews.com/2016/1...-amiga-by.html
Old 06 December 2016, 20:01   #2
Amiga1992

How many of these do we need? :/
Old 06 December 2016, 20:49   #3
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Probably a lot, as long as mainstream history continue to neglect Amiga influente and make it disappear in the shadow :/
Old 06 December 2016, 21:09   #4
-Acid-

Quote:
It's not like it's hurting anyone is it? keep them coming imo
Old 06 December 2016, 21:30   #5
ViLXDRYAD
Avocado lover

I find good to keep people hooked with new things on the amiga scene, perhaps this series can bring new fans here and perhaps make a brand new new demo for the amiga
Old 06 December 2016, 22:32   #6
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Acid- View Post
It's not like it's hurting anyone is it? keep them coming imo
Not necessarily, but already in the thread about Kim Justice's video, you can see there's a lot of "hate" regarding it and who knows which facts and which are wrong or right, etc.

It's just sad and it'd be great to have ONE definitive compendium of Amiga history where everyone is happy about the information presented within.
Old 07 December 2016, 00:21   #7
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Not necessarily, but already in the thread about Kim Justice's video, you can see there's a lot of "hate" regarding it and who knows which facts and which are wrong or right, etc.

It's just sad and it'd be great to have ONE definitive compendium of Amiga history where everyone is happy about the information presented within.
That's the aim of my web site, but getting accurate information is particularly difficult I've found. I enjoy this sort of video, but I wold love to know where he got some of the information from exactly.
Old 07 December 2016, 17:17   #8
Amiga1992

Yeah, when you don't mention the sources, you are possibly spreading misinformation. And the further away from "the horse's mouth" that you get your info from, the worse it gets.
Old 08 December 2016, 00:44   #9
kovacm
Banned

Quote:

This one is almost perfect compilation of datas from different places (there is a list of all references on youtube link!). Far better than Kim Justice videos!

Small inaccuracy (or not said straight) is that Commodore FIRST sue Tramiel Technology (particular: Shiraz Shivji, Arthur S. Morga, John E. Hoenig...) and only after that Jack Tramiel contra sue Commodore (Jay Miner, Dave Morse...).

Here is newspaper from July 13, 1984. regarding Commodore lawsuit: https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/184746117/

@TroyWilkins
what is your site?
Old 08 December 2016, 21:39   #10
dreamkatcha
I've got a new byline

I don't intend to weigh in on any of the Commodore history, just a general question to ponder: are the oldest sources necessarily the most accurate? It does help that they were written closer to the events, but they remain prone to the usual biases/mistakes so too have to be taken with a pinch of salt.
Old 08 December 2016, 22:10   #11
TroyWilkins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovacm View Post
This one is almost perfect compilation of datas from different places (there is a list of all references on youtube link!). Far better than Kim Justice videos!
Ahh, so there is, I didn't see that when I first watched the video and commented on it on YouTube, thanks! I will be exploring those links soon.

Quote:
@TroyWilkins
what is your site?
My site is far from complete and still has lots to add and some inaccuracies, but if you really want to have a look it's at http://theamigamuseum.com/
Old 08 December 2016, 23:45   #12
kovacm
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamkatcha View Post
I don't intend to weigh in on any of the Commodore history, just a general question to ponder: are the oldest sources necessarily the most accurate? It does help that they were written closer to the events, but they remain prone to the usual biases/mistakes so too have to be taken with a pinch of salt.
There is no absolute truth.
Vilém Flusser, philosopher, have great talks on this topic [ Show youtube player ] what is history, how we see events...

But there are history events written in documents.

How human memory degrade over time is e.g. Jack Tramiels memories of that he gave name to his company by seeing Opel Commodore in Germany (which is impossible since Opel Commodore come to market decade after he already gave name "Commodore" to his company).
Other problem is that everybody have his own agenda e.g. R.J.Mical many times said that he will rather tell a good story than anything else.

@TroyWilkins
you should put link to your website in signature
very interesting stuff, and quite large! I will spent evening in reading

Last edited by kovacm; 09 December 2016 at 00:10.
Old 17 December 2016, 12:43   #13
Anakirob
Unregistered User

Quote:
@TroyWilkins
I'm pretty sure putting a URL in your sig is against EAB's rules.
Old 19 December 2016, 04:30   #14
TroyWilkins

Quote:
@TroyWilkins
Thank you, but there is a LOT more work to be done there, so it's far from ready, unfortunately it already shows on the 1st page of google search results for certain key words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anakirob View Post
I'm pretty sure putting a URL in your sig is against EAB's rules.
And this, I don't want to annoy anyone here. When I feel it's ready I'll start a topic about it in the appropriate place here so people can have a look.
Old 15 January 2017, 20:59   #15
Neil79
Autistic 'n IRN!

PART 2

Quote:
But this time in part 2 Nostalgia Nerd is delving into the 90's, when the Amiga peaked, some of the great games and finally its regrettable demise. So sit back, turn it up and shed a tear at one of the best era's of gaming, the 90's!
http://www.indieretronews.com/2017/0...-amiga-by.html
Old 16 January 2017, 01:53   #16
idrougge

Nostalgia and Nerd are two of the ugliest words I know.
Old 16 January 2017, 02:50   #17
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
I don't think any single individual has the complete story, from 1983-current. Viva Amiga is good but it doesn't tell everything.

Quote:
Yeah, when you don't mention the sources, you are possibly spreading misinformation. And the further away from "the horse's mouth" that you get your info from, the worse it gets.
I do agree with you totally on identifying sources, times, documents, etc. Without that, "documentaries" are indeed possibly misinformation disguised as fact, and should be treated with caution, as the "facts" cannot be independently verified.
Old 16 January 2017, 03:21   #18
TroyWilkins

The 2nd part was fantastic, well worth watching.

Regarding accurate information, If anyone has good sources of accurate information that I can cite, it would be very much appreciated.
Old 16 January 2017, 05:13   #19
Pat the Cat
Banned

No such luck mate, as far as I'm concerned. I was kept very much out of the loop at the time. I think CBM UK were in much the same position - and they were part of the same organization.

Still, if I do come across anything in my travels, I'll let you know.

I'm finding Dave "Hazy" Haynie's releases very enlightening, and they're like 22 years old. Only released in the last 18 months or so though,

The truth always comes out, in the end. It's a question of "which" truth you want to believe.
Old 03 February 2017, 10:20   #20
B14ck W01f
m68k all the way

Quote:
The Amiga was a great machine, and people put up feature videos every month and brag about it to make sure we don't forget. Besides, if it wasn't for these "Amiga fanboys" we wouldn't be any PPC-based Amigas or new stuff from Individual Computers.