English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 10 January 2005, 20:35   #1
TameBest

Best programs ???

Hi folks :-)

I'm wondering what are the best programs for:

- word processing
- Managing files (DirOpus, what version ?)
- Paint (Brillance ???)
- Copy disks (XCopy pro ?)
- DMSsing disks (WinDMS, what version ?)
- Burn CD (MakeCD ?)

and... it's for use with my Amiga 600 (2 Mega RAM)

Same question for my boosted Amiga 1200 (Blizzard 030 - 50 MHz, 24 Mega RAM) ?

Thank you all !!!
Old 10 January 2005, 22:24   #2
Amiga1992

This is just my opinion and shall not be taken as the definitive word, obviously.

- word processing: Final Writer II
- Managing files: DirOpus 4 or DirWorks
- Paint: Deluxe Paint IV and PersonalPaint, whichever the latest verison is.
- Copy disks: X-Copy
- DMSsing disks: WinDMS? no! good old DMS will do.
- Burn CD: no lue, never burned a CD with my Amiga

All programs I mentioned should work on both machines.
Old 10 January 2005, 23:01   #3
Shoonay
Global Caturator

- word processing: CygnusED Professional 3.5 (1995)
- Managing files: File Master 2.2 (03.08.1992) / File Master 3.0B 2.3 (13.08.1995)
- Paint: Deluxe Paint 4.0 ECS (1991) / Deluxe Paint 5.2 AGA (1995) / Personal Paint 7.1c AGA (1997)
- Copy disks: don't have a working Floppy
- DMSsing disks: never needed it
- Burn CD: never did it on Amy
Old 10 January 2005, 23:27   #4
Frog

- DMS : if you want a GUI i've used BurnGUI (used MUI), if your DMS is a DOS disk, you can use Voodoo-X to extract files or simply browse the disk or simply use DMS under CLI
- BurnCD : MakeCD in fact never tried any others

@Shoonay : nice to see i'm not the only one who still use Filemaster2.2+, sad V3.0b contains bugs
Old 11 January 2005, 01:08   #5
TameBest

Thank you guys...

My both configurations right now...

- GoldEd (word processing)
- Brilliance (Amiga 1200)
- WinDMS
- DirOpus 4
- MakeCD
- X-Copy and SuperDuper (+ Cyclone for protected disks)

I'm gonna have a deeper look at CygnusEd, FinalWriter 2 and Filemaster :-)
I don't think I have them... I'll have to look for it somewhere ;-)

Thank you again all, CU !
Old 11 January 2005, 02:06   #6
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Here's what I say:

Wordprocessor: FinalWriter 97, Wordworth 7 (both are great)
Managing files: ABCdir (doesn't ANYBODY know this awesome program??)
Paint: I don't have AGA, so I must use the awesome DCTV Paint (must have DCTV though)
Copy disks: I got everything on HD so I just use the ABCdir
DMS: DMS to write, Voodoo-X and xadmaster.library to extract
Burn CD: no CD-ROM on my A500

Edit: Oops, I didn't read where you said this is for your A600. So for:
Paint: Personal Paint 7.1
Paint effects/convert: Image FX 4

Last edited by mr_a500; 11 January 2005 at 02:35.
Old 11 January 2005, 05:00   #7
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_a500
Managing files: ABCdir (doesn't ANYBODY know this awesome program??)
I really don't. any link I can check?
Old 11 January 2005, 05:37   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
I really don't. any link I can check?
Probably this one.
Old 11 January 2005, 07:21   #9
MigNut
Long term Amiga user

Word porcessing: GoldEd is quick and nice, Wordworth V7.x is slow but very good for making a highly presentable document, printing via TurboPrint, can be made to look as good as most stuff done on MS word, better in some instances.

Managing files: Well I swear by Directy Opus v5.x installed as Workbench replacement, you still retain the WB feel, but the extra functionality is fantastic, still the best file handling I have ever used on any platform. It takes a fair while to get used to it and discover all it's hidden ability, but it's sooooo worth the effort, wonderful stuff.

Paint: Well on an non-graphics card machine like your 600 then Deluxe Paint is still pretty cool stuff even by todays standards, but if ever you upgrade to Gfx card in your 1200 then DPaint won't like it, it's only happy on the Amiga native graphics chipset.
But Cloanto's Personal Paint does almost all the same stuff but will run happily on any screen mode, although only 8 bit, but the FS dithering is very good.
I personally use a whole suite of graphics software because some are better at some things than others. I like ArtEffect the best for colour correction and sharpening up photos and things like that, Art Department Pro is the absolute best for scaling things without loss of detail, plus it runs my scanner and is also generally very powerful once you dig into it, just a bit quirky. ImageFX is good for some stuff with photos, but it is slow even on an '060 machine, I also use Photogenics for effects and clever painting techniques (watching Paul Nolan demo-ing it was awesome). I find by combining the best of all these packages I can do virtually anything that can be done in more modern software on the PC, plus if I moved over to the PC I'd have to learn how to use the software all over again, and I am too old for that! I like the comfort and familiarity of my Amiga screen! Never underestimate some of the Amiga graphics software, it is damn good and it's taken other platforms a long time to catch up.

Dunno much about copying disks, I assume you mean copy protected disks, because I only really copy normal stuff, and just use a DOpus to go from DFO to DF1.

Burning CDs, although it pains me to say it, can be a little clunky on the good ole Amiga, but a lot of people get on with MakeCD and it's reliable.

Hope that helps.
Old 11 January 2005, 13:30   #10
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay
I should have said, any NON-AMINET link to check? LIke the app's website. Looks like it doesnt exist, I will just have to try it out

About GFXprograms, you could use DPaint IV AGA which will happily run in your 600 as well as in your A1200, though in the 1200 it will bring up all teh extra videomodes. I didn;t know DP didn't run on non custom chipset modes!
Old 11 January 2005, 13:33   #11
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira
Looks like it doesnt exist
What do you mean
Old 11 January 2005, 17:50   #12
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

Shoonay's link works. I just tested the link and downloaded ABCdir.

ABCdir needs a little bit of configuration though. Don't just look at it for one second, then say "aw, this sucks". Every button can be configured, filetypes can be configured, you can have a little shell at the bottom. Double-clicking a listed file can perform one action, left-right-clicking another. It is THE most used program on my Amiga. (and I've got a nifty copper rainbow in the background )
Old 11 January 2005, 22:09   #13
Amiga1992

Quote:
Shoonay's link works. I just tested the link and downloaded ABCdir.

ABCdir needs a little bit of configuration though. Don't just look at it for one second, then say "aw, this sucks". Every button can be configured, filetypes can be configured, you can have a little shell at the bottom. Double-clicking a listed file can perform one action, left-right-clicking another. It is THE most used program on my Amiga. (and I've got a nifty copper rainbow in the background )
I asked fopr the official homepage of the app not a bloody aminet link i can fetch on my own (and says nothing).

Anyway sounds similar to DirWork, i should check it out. Did you try Dirwork?
Old 11 January 2005, 22:27   #14
mr_a500
Amiga-based Cyborg

There is no bloody official homepage for the bloody app, only the bloody Aminet link.

Unfortunately, the guy who made it seems to have disappeared. It's a pity, I would have liked to get the source code and fix a few minor things.

I tried DirWork, but was a little disappointed. It's not as good as ABCdir.
Old 11 January 2005, 22:30   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
There is no bloody official homepage for the bloody app, only the bloody Aminet link.
Yeah... and there's blood all over it too
Old 08 January 2017, 03:58   #16
Zabi

- Managing files: Filemaster

I find Filemaster being fastest filemanager to use when generally sorting files.

edit: oops! A bit old thread... ok, maybe time to update these also.

Old 08 January 2017, 05:03   #17
Pat the Cat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TameBest View Post
Hi folks :-)

I'm wondering what are the best programs for:

- word processing
- Managing files (DirOpus, what version ?)
- Paint (Brillance ???)
- Copy disks (XCopy pro ?)
- DMSsing disks (WinDMS, what version ?)
- Burn CD (MakeCD ?)

and... it's for use with my Amiga 600 (2 Mega RAM)

Same question for my boosted Amiga 1200 (Blizzard 030 - 50 MHz, 24 Mega RAM) ?

Thank you all !!!
--------------------------A600 2MB RM----------------------------------A1200 030 24MB RAM
Word Processing Protext (Check dictionary available)----WordWorth, Final Edition

Managing Files-----Workbench, Shell------------------------------Directoy OPus or similar

Paint-------------------Deluxe Paint / Personal Paint------------Dpaint AGA/Cloanto/Personal Paint

Also;-------------------NEWTEK Digipaint3 (compatible?)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Image Processing like ASDG Art
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Deptartment, ImageFX etc.
Copy disks----------No comment------------------------------------No comment

DMS-------------------?-----------------------------------------------------?

Making CDS--------Forget about it, sluggish at best--------Whatever works

Digipaint can be worth tracking down, if you have hacky whacky old Newtek graphics modes pictures and you want to edit them. It's not that much fun to use and might not even run on the above hardware, but it does things nothing else can, IIRC. Usually bundled with Newtek 8 bit video digitizers. Never official "Amiga graphics modes" that you could use on Workbench, and quite useless for games, so I was told. But prettiest static image displays you can achieve maybe with the native early Amiga hardware. It can't convert other formats to Newtek, because it can't load them; you need the right Newtek freindly save option on an Amiga graphics program to do that. Art Department was one solution to that, and the mode is usually called S-HAM or Super-Ham if you do find it as an option on a save picture option elsewhere in Amigaland, or outside it.

In terms of burning CDs, the snag is, you've either got to have a nice IDE adaptor that lets you have multiple drives. IDE hard drive, IDE CD-R drive. And Atapi.device for the CD-writer side. The standard A1200 IDE port is unbuffered, so only one device can be reliably connected without modification of some kind. Often pin 1 of the cables need cutting.

Or, as another combination choice, if a SCSI controller is available and SCSI hard drive and CD-writer drive as IDE; (atapi.device for the writer, third party SCSI.device for HD, probably best solution)

Or, or hard drive as IDE and SCSI controller doing the CD writing, with a SCSI CD-R or similar.
(third party Scsi.device, Not all may support CD-R; and native built in scsi.device or atapi.device for reading from the IDE hard drive, confusing, to say the least)

That's the preferred option for burning CDs, (separate buses for reading from hard drive and writing to CD, faster). Not many A1200s have a SCSI port, and SCSI CD-writers are not that cheap although easier to find than the controllers and software needed. BURP can be a factor (Buffer UnderRun Protection) with burning CDs and not useless coasters on the Amiga. Not always handled by the writer hardware. More so older atapi drives with small buffers.

You could do the whole thing with SCSI, but the snag here like I said, not all scsi drivers support CD-R, I think. They SHOULD do, but it is mostly untested, and not always supported by the burner software anyway, which insists on an atapi drive, and just won't use a SCSI burner drive.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 08 January 2017 at 06:38.
Old 08 January 2017, 10:29   #18
honx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat the Cat View Post
Word Processing Protext (Check dictionary available)----WordWorth, Final Edition
final edition? is that wordworth 7.01 from early 1998? or was there actually a "final" edition i'm not aware of?

abcdir seems to have some character problems when using its close-gadget.
have to type in "endcli" by myself to quit this file manager. see attachment.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	abcdir.PNG
Views:	358
Size:	7.9 KB
ID:	51646  

Last edited by honx; 08 January 2017 at 10:37.
Old 08 January 2017, 11:27   #19
Pat the Cat
Banned

Sorry, Word Worth or Final Edition.

WP choice depends on spell checker and thesaurus really. Also, if you want to design pages (DTP) then neither is particularly outstanding, in my opinion. I can't remember the best DTP packages, but if I had say, a SCSI connected laser printer, neither would be that great for document layout. PageStream and Professional Page were the leading ones when I last looked in 1994 or so. Neither was quite Mac Quark Xpress, and DTP on the Amiga is horrible if you want 24 bit WYSIWYG graphics, more so if you try and do that on an AGA Amiga. To do DTP on an Amiga, you are better off turning all graphics to simple box previews. Otherwise things crawl. That might be different now, and I guess I never really experienced true 24 bit or PPC to say if that's improved. Classic Amigas, beware DTP. It can do it, but slowly.

Protext IS a word processor, but it isn't WYSIWYG. But fast, nice Brit language options, low power needs. Unlike most other stuff. It's good for writing, you can't really layout more than text.

Always check the spell checker origin on WP. There are OK dictionaries and outstanding dictionaries, like Collins in Brit English. Check what you local version uses. It's important.

Last edited by Pat the Cat; 08 January 2017 at 11:33.
Old 08 January 2017, 11:59   #20
ptyerman

He probably means Final Writer. It is also under development again so should be brought more up to date.