English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.WHDLoad

Old 15 November 2008, 18:09   #1
ricky500

Populous WHDLoad Install Not Working

I can't get the WHDLoad Install for Populous to work. I tried installing it myself, and also tried the pre-installed WHDLoad Populous and it won't work. I tried various WINUAE setups and configurations, different Workbenches, and running it under WHDLoad 16.8 and 16.9 beta. I also used No Cache settings, and PAL and NTSC settings and it still won't work.

When I double click on the game's icon to start the game, it takes 20 or so seconds and then it shows the game's title screen, but there is no mouse control, and then it quickly goes to a frozen in game screen with what looks like a waterfall with music playing. And that's it, it totally freezes and I can't do anything.

Help!
Old 15 November 2008, 18:21   #2
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Can you post your WinUAE settings, seems to be a configuration problem. Populous runs fine here in emulation.
Old 15 November 2008, 18:40   #3
ricky500

Ok, here goes:
I am using WinUAE 1.5.3.

I tried with a basic Workbench 3.1 setup with standard 1200 settings + 9 megs of CHIP RAM in PAL mode. I tried with 68020 and 68040 CPU with JIT off.

I tried with a Amiga SYS 4 setup with 1200 settings with Picasso board and 8 megs of CHIP RAM and 4 megs of Z-Fast RAM. I tried it in PAL and NTSC mode, tried with NO CACHE settings. I tried with 68020 and 68040 CPU with JIT off. I also tried playing around with various RAM settings but it still didn't work. I tried with WHDLOAD 16.8 and WHLOAD 16.9 beta (Sept. 7).

I tried installing with an IPF image of the game too.
Old 15 November 2008, 18:50   #4
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

It's better to use a CWB or plain WB 3.0/3.1 setup. Use a 68020 or 68030 CPU mit 2 MB Chip and 8 MB Fastram, no JIT and no Z3-Fast, no graphic card.

This souped up setups like Amikit or AmigaSys can cause a lot of troubles with old games, even with WHDLoad.

Another option is Gamebase Amiga. All KG preinstalled WHDLoad games are preconfigured and ready to play. You need no Amiga OS to start the games, just the frontend.

http://gbamiga.elowar.com/

Last edited by Retro-Nerd; 15 November 2008 at 18:56.
Old 02 March 2013, 23:56   #5
Pipeline79

Hi, first post...
Decided to put this here as its a similar problem.
Am using latest winuae and whdload. I've made a setup and hd install of wb3.1 as per gaag and also downloaded one of the classicwb setup/install packages.
No problems so far with this, and managed to start a llamasoft game - revenge of mutant camels fine with a install from whdownload. Next, I've been trying the populous install but it's driving me nuts - the best I can get is for the game to begin on the cwb but am unable to call up the menu, just get the credits rolling unless I hold the mouse button and no cursor.
On the setup I've made the game starts with no dos error messages (solved those) but the screen goes black and returns or reloads workbench straight after.
I've tried starting the game from various adfs from the net but these are dodgy, it seems.
There's loads of suggestions about these problems, but which one is stumping me?
I've tried loads of setup combinations, the game, or install only asks for an a500 rom etc.
Could this be related to using the wrong rom in either UAE or the kickstarts folder?
I have several for 1.3 and 3.1 with various names such as (!), (b), etc. Are they encrypted, I've heard that mentioned.
Or is it something to do with too much ram, or too fast a setup?
Populous 2 seems fine, btw.