Go Back   English Amiga Board > News

Old 20 December 2016, 17:02   #661
Jope
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starglider 2 View Post
Can any such devices make HD ADFs?

Thanks!!
Nope, but they are not really suited for creating adfs anyway. You should use transdisk or some other tool in workbench or shell and save the adfs to your hard drive.

Then naturally you will need to be able to use them, these hardware floppy emulators will not do high density, so you would install an image file driver to amigaos and read the contents when the os is running.
Old 20 December 2016, 17:03   #662
Starglider 2

OK!

Thanks!!
Old 20 December 2016, 18:46   #663
Jope
-

I like this one: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/diskimage

It requires a bit of thought when installing, you should take a close look inside the different dosdrivers and install the ones you need, changing the names + ordering the unit numbers as you go.
Old 25 February 2017, 23:35   #664
vintageit

Has anybody actually tried this IR mod?

I have followed all instructions but unable to get this sync'ed with the keychain remote... I'm stuck so any experience with this mod would be helpful as I've started to pull my hair out looking for what I have missed putting this all together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo761 View Post
Dang, I had some buzzers I got with PC cases, who knows where they ended . Luckily I found some one ebay, 10 pcs for $2. At first I looked for "piezo speaker" and found only 5 pcs for $4-5.

My remote mod is finally finished, it took a long time for attiny's to arrive . Here's how it looks, Arduino is used only as 5V power supply

[ Show youtube player ]

And how it works inside A500, sensor is sensitive enough to work without "direct aim"

[ Show youtube player ]

Here's the schematic

And this is how it works:

Button push on gotek connects STM MCU pins PC7 (right button, counter up) or PC8 (left button, counter down) to GND. That's how it registers a click.

ATtiny receives signal from IR sensor on PB0 and depending on code received toggles it's PB1 (counter up) or PB2 (counter down) from high to low for short amount of time. This triggers STM pins PC7 and/or PC8 who and registers as a click.

LED that's connected to ATtiny's PB4 is used to signal when the remote is tuned. I'm using small universal remote that supports a lot of devices, it cycles through them when you press mute and when it gets to one that ATtiny recognizes it will use this LED to send signal so we know when to release the mute button. This only needs to be done once, when prepping new remote.

THere's a jumper connected to PB3, it's purpose is to separate two code sets at hardware level. ATtiny recognizes 4 code sets. If your TV turnes out to react to the same codes as ATtiny you can simply switch to next one and solve this issue. It wouldn't be nice if with ADF change you change TV channel . But it could be an issue the other way arround. ATtiny listens to all 4 code sets all the time. You could switch this mini remote to other set and solve interference with TV, but that wouldn't solve the other way around, ATtiny would react to TV remote. This jumper tries to solve that, it separates those 4 code sets to 2 and 2 on hardware level. If ATtiny reacts to TV remote simply put the jumper to those pins or remove it, what ever was at first, and it won't react to those codes anymore.

How it looks inside

Schematic is OK, but I have to rework PCB, this one works, but it could be better (read easier) to assemble. Mostly with capacitor that's under ATtiny. It's reeeeealy tight fit and that needs to be changed.
It works with either 5V or 3.3V power supply, STM MCU works at 3.3V but input pins are 5V tolerant so it shouldn't matter. At first I used 5V, then I tried 3.3V and it also worked fine. ATtiny runs at 8 MHz (interal oscillator) and that works with 3.3V, only case where 5V would be required is if it's run at 16 MHz (Internal PLL), that requires minimum of 4.3V. But it works fine at 8 MHz so that shouldn't be an issue. If anyone's interested I can upload eagle files and ATtiny hex and source.
Old 08 March 2017, 22:55   #665
dJOS

Feature Request:

I'd really love for a complete UI overhaul, I was mucking about with XTree Gold recently and it occurred to me that an 80 Column split screen view with SD Card on the Left and Floppy Queue on the Right (or even split top to bottom for improved file name visibility).

Across the Top or Bottom of the screen you could map out all the Function Keys for the various commands/functions and you could use the direction keys for navigating each panel with TAB to switch between panels.

IMHO it would make for a much more user friendly and simpler to manage HxC system.

Here's what XTG can look like so you get the idea:

and an older version:

Old 05 June 2017, 04:26   #666
Amiga1992

After running through a bunch of issues this weekend I have realized that the Gotek is pickier with which USB sticks you put in it than I originally thought, at least running Cortex firmware.

What's the community's consensus on which brands and models are best to use with Goteks?
Old 05 June 2017, 04:35   #667
dJOS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
After running through a bunch of issues this weekend I have realized that the Gotek is pickier with which USB sticks you put in it than I originally thought, at least running Cortex firmware.

What's the community's consensus on which brands and models are best to use with Goteks?
Cotex firmware is just really picky, it's pot luck imo.
Old 05 June 2017, 06:50   #668
thgill

I've generally had good success with pretty much all Sandisk drives with cortex or HxC firmware.
Old 05 June 2017, 07:49   #669
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by dJOS View Post
Cotex firmware is just really picky, it's pot luck imo.

Hmmso it IS fw dependent. Well I only have Cortex for the time being, will put HxC soon, but would be good to find an USB stick that works with both.
Old 02 October 2017, 00:14   #670
Jeff_HxC2001

FYI The new HxC File selector is now compatible with the Cortex Firmware since this one use the HxC Direct access protocol... The difference is the "config file" and a different ID code. Wasn't too hard to adapt... :

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
HxC Floppy Emulator file selector Version 1.65 released.
For SD HxC Floppy Emulator, HxC Gotek and even Cortex FW now... :

https://github.com/jfdelnero/HXCFE_f...selector_V1_65

Main changes :

- Major code rewrite/refactoring to prepare the next releases.

- Pure text interface to port it to others machines : No more graphical dependency.

- You can mount/switch to any emulators connected to the machine. Up to 4 drives on Amiga.

- Cortex Firmware compatibility added for the Amiga and PC/SDL version :
It seems that this firmware use the HxC Direct Access protocol...
SELECTOR.ADF available for this firmware :
http://hxc2001.com/download/floppy_d...r/SELECTOR.ADF

- Search/filter function fixed.

- Various glitches and bugs corrected.

Let me know if you have any issue/glitch
http://eab.abime.net/showpost.php?p=...&postcount=952
Old 02 October 2017, 14:06   #671
UberFreak

I think at this point the Cortex firmware can retire, there's absolutely no reason to use it anymore.
Old 02 October 2017, 15:05   #672
Jeff_HxC2001

I can see that many still have it and lots of them will not upgrade to another firmware since they was directly sold programmed 'as it is' without easy way to upgrade it. So think that a new selector may be a good news for these cases.
Old 02 October 2017, 16:01   #673
Superman

It works well and I can actually see the full filenames and disk numbers now.

Nice job
Old 02 October 2017, 16:09   #674
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_HxC2001 View Post
I can see that many still have it and lots of them will not upgrade to another firmware since they was directly sold programmed 'as it is' without easy way to upgrade it. So think that a new selector may be a good news for these cases.
It is. And I'm using for that very same reason. Cheers!
Old 02 October 2017, 16:45   #675
turrican9

I am really happy I upgraded all 3 of my Goteks (going through the hassle of ordering that serial device to program them) to HXC firmware (2 of my 5 was bought with the HXC firmware pre-installed) looking at how much Jeff_HxC2001 has been supporting and improving it. I feel pretty safe that all my 5 Goteks has a firmware that is constantly being worked on and improved.
Old 18 December 2017, 13:17   #676
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Hi, I wonder if some electronics savvy person can help me identify some cheap eBay items suitable for the sound mod. The kits sold are expensive for what they are plus postage on top... I need to do 2 mods at least so if I have more its not a problem.

I know there is a piezo buzzer, 1k resistor and a transistor but which? eBay links would be real handy - thanks ;-)
Old 20 December 2017, 11:32   #677
Spacemonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methanoid View Post
Hi, I wonder if some electronics savvy person can help me identify some cheap eBay items suitable for the sound mod. The kits sold are expensive for what they are plus postage on top... I need to do 2 mods at least so if I have more its not a problem.

I know there is a piezo buzzer, 1k resistor and a transistor but which? eBay links would be real handy - thanks ;-)
Just follow the instructions here : http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...p=11486#p16462
Old 21 December 2017, 12:39   #678
Methanoid
Retired Quartex Sysop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Just follow the instructions here : http://torlus.com/floppy/forum/viewt...p=11486#p16462
The instructions are easy.. its just making sure the cheapie components I am scanning for on eBay are the RIGHT ones... Not how to assemble... Thats what I need someone competent for !!
Old 22 December 2017, 07:51   #679
Jeff_HxC2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Don't follow them you are using the cortex firmware (this is the current thread subject?).
These instructions are for the HxC Floppy Emulator firmware. The direct direct sound output was introduced by this firmware.
Cortex actually need the step signal hack (wish i don't recommend at all).
Old 07 October 2018, 06:21   #680
guybrush

Hi guys,

Got my gotek for cheap, like 9 bucks on a local store that sell ancient electronics (one of these places that recycle hardware from offices; love to spend hours searching between mountains of CRT and racks of old Windows machines ).

I did flash it no problem with Flash floppy (0.92 I believe; the latest on their github page), and tried a 128 GB USB stick from Samsung, formatted as FAT32 with the config and boot file; but no matter what, the floppy does not work.

When I turn on the 1200, I get the F-F on display; if I put the USB stick in it it goes to 000; but that's it. The bootloader never load when I boot the amiga; it goes directly into WB from the CF card adapter.
If I disable the CF card; the amiga boot and then it say "no disk in DF0:"; so I never get to boot into the loader where you assign the adf files to each position.

I tried to remove the config and bootloader file, and just put ADF; and that seems to work better; since when I cycle through the positions, I can see the number changing; although the amiga refuse to load anything, either if I boot with DH0: disabled or if I have WB loaded and try to cycle through the various ADF. I am sure that the ADF should show in WB at least, since they are DP4 and Octamed; so they should appear on the workbench.

AS far as the connector, it seems to be connected as the original drive (red cable is on the opposite of power connector); I did put back the original Amiga drive and it works fine; so the cable is fine and there is power going to the connector as it should.

The green light goes on, the red light flash briefly when I switch disks, but that's all that it does.

I am not sure where the problem is at this point; the flashing went fine; the device seems to be recognized by the Amiga (otherwise when I disable everything but the DF0; it would show me the ROM animation to insert a disk, and not the CLI with the error message that there is no disk in DF0), and the ADF works fine on Windows via WinUAE; so either I should try with a smaller USB drive or I need to try with some sacrifice to the Commodore deity.