English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Other Projects > project.Amiga File Server

Old 07 August 2017, 06:01   #1461
amiga_Forever
Users Awaiting Email Confirmation

Is anyone else getting very slow speeds at times on main ftp and mirror ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FZ.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	54064  
Old 07 August 2017, 07:44   #1462
Turran

I made a small change on grandis.nu so you can log in twice to the FTP. Its been rather slow over the summer so not much of the gigabit available is used anyway =)
Old 09 August 2017, 04:44   #1463
amiga_Forever

uploaded Amiga Demos to /Uploads/amiga_forever
Old 24 August 2017, 11:12   #1464
Turran

ISP down (Bahnhof). No ETA yet...

Edit: That was fast. Seems up again
Old 28 August 2017, 22:16   #1465
franeti

I can´t download nothing from the ftp. I´m ussing filezilla.

I´m trying to download cd32 folder.

Is there any issue? I have tried with both

The error is: 421 There are too many connections from your internet address.
Old 29 August 2017, 09:30   #1466
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by franeti View Post
I can´t download nothing from the ftp. I´m ussing filezilla.

I´m trying to download cd32 folder.

Is there any issue? I have tried with both

The error is: 421 There are too many connections from your internet address.
Configure your client to use 1 (or max 2) connections to the FTP. You are only allowed 2 connections per IP right now so if your FTP client is configured to use 10 connections when downloading, you'll get that error.
Old 03 September 2017, 04:24   #1467
Falcon57

I have uploded a file in ~Upload zone under my name Falcon57

Game
Sherman M4 v1.1 (1989)(Loriciel)(FR)[cr PNA][h Atomic 90]

Old 04 September 2017, 19:50   #1468
puppypc

I hope that I did this appropriately, but I have just uploaded an updated version of "mkkickwork.exe" to /~Upload/puppypc

It is still, as far as I know, 100% written by and copyright Harry "Piru" Sintonen. However, the version previously uploaded by Prowler terminated in an error for many users. The program allows you to produce an A1000 kickstart disk which also boots into workbench on the same disk.

Only now after writing this post do I realize that future users may be confused about two files with the same name on the server. This is my first upload here, so if any mod wants to PM me about how I can fix that, or to fix it themselves, I appreciate it.
Old 04 September 2017, 20:54   #1469
emufan

in your own folder, you can delete files. maybe rename does work too.
Old 04 September 2017, 21:18   #1470
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypc View Post
I hope that I did this appropriately, but I have just uploaded an updated version of "mkkickwork.exe" to /~Upload/puppypc

It is still, as far as I know, 100% written by and copyright Harry "Piru" Sintonen. However, the version previously uploaded by Prowler terminated in an error for many users. The program allows you to produce an A1000 kickstart disk which also boots into workbench on the same disk.

Only now after writing this post do I realize that future users may be confused about two files with the same name on the server. This is my first upload here, so if any mod wants to PM me about how I can fix that, or to fix it themselves, I appreciate it.
That's fine as it is. The file I uploaded is mkkickwork.zip
Old 04 September 2017, 21:24   #1471
puppypc

Thanks for the response! My concern is mainly that even if I had called it something like "mkkickwork-new" it would be confusing! AFAIK there is not a version number attached to the file to clear things up with either.
Old 04 September 2017, 21:32   #1472
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by puppypc View Post
Thanks for the response! My concern is mainly that even if I had called it something like "mkkickwork-new" it would be confusing! AFAIK there is not a version number attached to the file to clear things up with either.
It's okay. Anyone looking to download that program would probably be using "mkkickwork*.*" as a search term anyway, so they'd actually pick up both and give them a try.

Edit: However, you could try changing the name, as suggested above by emufan, to mkkickwork-fixed.exe (I tried, but I don't have the necessary permissions.)

Last edited by prowler; 04 September 2017 at 21:38.
Old 14 September 2017, 23:20   #1473
prowler
Global Moderator

@puppypc:

Having been bestowed with the necessary permissions, I have moved your mkkickwork-fixed.exe program from your ~Uploads folder to the /Commodore_Amiga/Misc/The Zone!/M folder.

Thankyou for your contribution.

BTW, I have removed the writekick.lha file from the server's /Commodore_Amiga/Misc/The Zone!/W folder, because it contained a Kickstart ROM image.
Old 05 October 2017, 00:15   #1474
DamienD
Banned

@Turran; can you please look into implementing a policy that enforces only registered EAB members are allowed / able to access the EAB File Server?

...you've been way too generous for far too long now and other, non-EAB website / forums are taking advantage of this.

Right now I've been trying to upload a file for the benefit of our members; ETA was 35 mins to begin with... It's now been going for 50 mins and still says 25 mins to go. It's going at a snail's pace

Clearly your / our FTP is being absolutely hammered by dickheads who are not EAB members and trying to absolutely leach everything!!!
Old 05 October 2017, 00:56   #1475
emufan

i agree with DamienD.
there are "public" boards in this "community" you are not allowed to see an attached image; amibay, a1k.
plus they hide part of their board - this pi** me off for years.
Old 05 October 2017, 02:36   #1476
MartinW

I remember when I first rediscovered the Amiga about 5 years ago being quite astounded that I could get to the file server (of this forum I'd never heard of) and figured it had to be a mistake. I believe I downloaded the WHDL packs of the time but I certainly didn't leach the whole file system.

It was a wonderful browse through everything that was there mind - and still is!

Forums that put the images behind the login are really annoying but I'd agree that the file server probably ought to be
Old 05 October 2017, 12:11   #1477
Superman

It would be good if it could be linked to your forum login somehow and only work if you have over a certain number of posts. Otherwise people will register just to get access and not post anything.
Old 05 October 2017, 17:21   #1478
chip

We should probably look at the way the other ftp work

Are they restricted in some way only to forum users ?
Old 06 October 2017, 02:20   #1479
amiga_Forever

Uploaded to amiga_forever/HD/Games

While i enjoy the benefit of an FTP server for anyone to access, only registered uses (which would do away with the ftp password access that anyone can know) to must provide your own (as in the case with uploading) to apply this to download as well, seems like a good idea.

This too, would apply when browsing web as well otherwise this would be a 'back door' in, anyone could just browse ftp via the web and bypass the registered user credentials in client (no anonymous login or default username/pass)

Don't want FTP server to go the same way godflesh did..

Last edited by amiga_Forever; 06 October 2017 at 02:36.
Old 06 October 2017, 11:14   #1480
Turran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamienD View Post
Right now I've been trying to upload a file for the benefit of our members; ETA was 35 mins to begin with... It's now been going for 50 mins and still says 25 mins to go. It's going at a snail's pace

Clearly your / our FTP is being absolutely hammered by dickheads who are not EAB members and trying to absolutely leach everything!!!
Well, EAB has 1000/1000 full duplex to the FTP and there are not THAT many people hammering it. Its maybe 5-10 people online at any one time, so I doubt the bandwidth is whats holding you back.

If this was yesterday though, I did a .. large batch download/upload on the same line so that could have been it. Also, if you were uploading, which nobody ever does to the FTP, I doubt it was the other people leeching which caused a problem. More likely it was .. me, downloading ... stuff.

If its consistently that slow, I'd say there is something else holding the transfers back. Perhaps even at a hardware level here. Right now its chugging along at 2-5000 K/sec which is pretty much the norm and is not even making a small dent in maximum bandwidth...

I could start working on something you are asking for though. Simplest way is to just disable the "ftp" account and have everyone register an upload account. I would need a way to get the list of registered users on the forums though so that I can cross reference that with that users are trying to register to the FTP with. No match, no go.

I could then enforce maximum download limits per week for each user or all kinda of other fun stuff. Right now that is impossible when the "ftp" account is classed as an Anonymous account.

Edit: Tried getting the full memberlist from EAB with just
wget http://eab.abime.net/memberlist.php
cat memberlist.php | grep "member.php?" | cut -d '>' -f2 | cut -d '<' -f1

But that only gives me the first page of users of course..

Last edited by Turran; 06 October 2017 at 11:32.