English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 27 February 2007, 20:31   #1
sink

winuae + arcadevga = why not?

i luve my 5 amiga , 1 c64 and 2 atari for looking demos but i'm addict too arcade game . Thez are 1 video card special arcade : http://www.ultimarc.com/avgainf.html for make mame cabs and running games with the native resolution like the right game. this card product 15khz and can be usable under arcade screen or Tv with this cable : http://www.alvarezeninternet.com/mamescart/ . Already some emulator (zsnes) use this card and that sound really good. Can u think that can be usefull for winuae and looking the emu under tv like a real amiga ? for to have the real sensation? and running the emu with the native resolution.
Old 27 February 2007, 20:46   #2
keropi

that arcadevga2 looks nice.... hmmmmmm
Old 10 March 2007, 00:03   #3
ceztko

Yes, that card looked great. I emailed them, asking about amiga emulation: their answer can be reassumed in "you can buy the card but we don't target anything else than mame emulation, so you would be an unsupported user". The problem is a lot of classic amiga resolution are lacking. So, if you are interested, you can simply buy (as i did in these days ) a radeon card > 7000 series (i bought this, that have the same hw features of the AVGA) and build a cable according to this guide that is a little better than the one you linked, and it doesn't target AVGA users.

The problem that remain is reassemble a list of common amiga resolutions, in addition with their (hopefully correct) frequencies and timings to use with powerstrip or for creating modelines in xorg.conf (*nix users). Maybe the web can help, but i never seen a list of this type.

Bye,
ceztko
Old 10 March 2007, 08:03   #4
sink

my avga is radeon 9250, but u are right for amiga we need more native resolution and powerstrip can make that.
Old 10 March 2007, 14:05   #5
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sink
my avga is radeon 9250, but u are right for amiga we need more native resolution and powerstrip can make that.
I'm running an arcadeVGA and 640x288, no scaling is the best compromise, imo.
Old 25 March 2007, 00:13   #6
sink

what do u mean by no scaling? line mode normal is?
Old 25 March 2007, 16:18   #7
spiff
Oh noes!

Yup, double causes interlace artifacts in games. I may miss a couple of lines on the SOTB intro though.

It's a "special" case for arcade monitors (15hz) though, but then again why would you otherwise run arcVGA?
Old 27 March 2007, 11:00   #8
gary

I can confirm that an AracdeVGA card works fine with WinUAE. I had WinUAE + mame + winVice, Zsnes, windows + retroremakes, windows+mediaplayers, quake, Need for Speed, etc running various games on a streetfighter arcade machine with its native 15khz lo-res monitor.

My aim was to have each game selectable from the menu (using the joystick) from various machines (from the spectrum/C64 to Amiga/Arcade/Remakes) for interesting comparisons. Also having the great mp3 remixes (remix.kwed.org) playing as background music while the games were played added some atmosphere. I never really played games much until I had these working.

I found that to save a lot of time and hassle I also ended up buying the programmable keyboard hardware as not all games/emulators allow redefinable keys. Originally I hacked a cheap PC keyboard to the arcade controls but it wasn't good enough for the games I wanted to play.

If you want an on-going project that you can keep adding to or polishing then an arcade cabinet + PC is great - until you have to move house and give it away

A standard amiga can run fine in a lo-res arcade cabinet with no extra hardware as the output is 15khz already. Get rid of the coin slot and put a floppy drive in its place

If I get another chance I would try to get a working sit-down moving cabinet (like Afterburner) rigged to play Stunt Car Racer - complete with movement corresponding to the game. Maybe a few years from now...
Old 27 March 2007, 11:27   #9
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
If you want an on-going project that you can keep adding to or polishing then an arcade cabinet + PC is great - until you have to move house and give it away
aw.. crap. I'm moving out of my student dormitory in about 2 months, same problem. I just pray I'll manage to get a job and a new apartment before that.

I ended up running everything under advmenu. After poking around with gameex and everything else I realized less is more gaming.
Old 27 March 2007, 11:29   #10
Konrad

I'm running WinUAE in my cab with AVGA2 and 15kHz arcade monitor. 640x288 is the best resolution to run games (with the actual WinUAE version, that is).
As Frontend I use MaLa btw.

Would be nice if WinUAE would support resolution switching, but I don't think that's so easy to implement (mixed resolutions in some games, f.ex DisposableHero menu).

EDIT:
@ceztko: The problem is that you don't get a picture (or could damage your tv/arcade monitor if you leave it on) while booting, because Powerstrip's not loaded. AVGA supports pc resolutions from the start.
Old 27 March 2007, 11:29   #11
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary
If I get another chance I would try to get a working sit-down moving cabinet (like Afterburner) rigged to play Stunt Car Racer - complete with movement corresponding to the game. Maybe a few years from now...
There is no force feedback in the game so you'd either have to hack the game (if that was within your capability?) or be satisfied with a non-hydraulic sit down cab such as RoadBlasters
Old 27 March 2007, 21:43   #12
sink

and for poeple running winuae under mamecab, u have testing demos in 640x288, that good like resolutions for looking demos?
Old 28 March 2007, 06:37   #13
Konrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Konrad
I'm running WinUAE in my cab with AVGA2 and 15kHz arcade monitor. 640x288 is the best resolution to run games
Of course it's the same for demos.
Old 29 March 2007, 19:14   #14
sink

oki coool thk!! and the refresh rate? and u stay normal line? please
Old 29 March 2007, 20:35   #15
Konrad

Refresh Rate: Default
Linemode: Normal

Is that what you mean ?
Old 29 March 2007, 23:19   #16
sink

yes
Old 05 April 2007, 18:59   #17
NoX1911

These are the most advanced vga/scart-cable instructions i found.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm

But its too much effort for one individual without proper equipment. The SMD version with 15khz auto-disable and auto-sync nicely fits in a scart housing.

If anyone sells this ones or knows who does post here... I need one.
Old 05 April 2007, 21:41   #18
spiff
Oh noes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoX1911
These are the most advanced vga/scart-cable instructions i found.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/eviltim/scart.htm

But its too much effort for one individual without proper equipment. The SMD version with 15khz auto-disable and auto-sync nicely fits in a scart housing.

If anyone sells this ones or knows who does post here... I need one.
My first VGA to scart cable was just a VGA to RGB composite cable, stripped and SCART adapted.
All you need is some electric tape and patience. Sync works if you make sure VGA only generates negative sync (powerstrip). Even if the levels are too low, most TVs will work just fine anyway.. they've got a pretty large error margin.
Old 05 April 2007, 23:10   #19
ceztko

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff
Sync works if you make sure VGA only generates negative sync (powerstrip).
The easiest way is to get results without compromises is to buy an ATI card (only ATI cards > radeon 7000 can produce a composite sync signal, so a circuit to is not needed) and following this guide, that's the most correct one i found, even if it consider only VGA DDC pinout and not VESA DDC, so the cable could be even more improved in the aspect of TV autodetection). The guide you linked want to solve too many problems, and sometimes don't choose the clean way (such in the case of using AdvanceMame instead of PowerStrip for reducing the horizontal scan).

Bye
Old 05 April 2007, 23:52   #20
sink

yes me too my simple vga rgb cable work fine