English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 10 November 2017, 16:11   #41
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
Ruff'n'Tumble is a great game, maybe lacking a parallaxe (but I doubt it was even possible, except maybe with AGA) but it isn't a "real" platformer for me, it's more a game like Turrican (a shooter ? A run'n'gun ? ).
Genres are hard to define, but I disagree with you

If Ruff'n'Tumble was exactly the same game, but instead of a kid running around with a gun, you controlled something like, a dragon that shoots magical bubbles from his mouth, would you still call it a run 'n' gun ?

Run'n'guns are more about shooting stuff than exploring and jump around.

Contra, Gunstar Heroes, Metal Slug, Gunforce, Midnight Resistance... those are run'n'guns.

In those games there's no exploration to do, there's only one direction to go: Forward (usually you can't even go back as the scroll is locked to move only forward), jump is used more to go over obstacles (or dodge incoming fire) than to actually reach higher platforms.

Turrican and Ruff 'n' Tumble are a lot about exploration. There are huge levels to move around, stuff to collect, secrets to be found, etc.

Run'n'Guns you just move forward, blow up stuff and hope to not die The mechanics and core gameplay are very different IMO.
AdSense AdSense  
Old 10 November 2017, 16:52   #42
mc68060
With MMU and FPU!

Quote:
Dunno is there is a commercial reason for sacking this game and praise JP3
Maybe because James Pond 3 was done by a UK team whereas Mr Nutz was done by the evil Germans
Old 10 November 2017, 17:35   #43
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc68060 View Post
Maybe because James Pond 3 was done by a UK team whereas Mr Nutz was done by the evil Germans
I remember reading Chris Sorrell saying he was really dissapointed with the AGA chipset, saying it didn't had half the power it should have, and it was a huge headache to port JP3 from Mega-Drive to the Amiga.
Old 10 November 2017, 18:51   #44
sokolovic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I remember reading Chris Sorrell saying he was really dissapointed with the AGA chipset, saying it didn't had half the power it should have, and it was a huge headache to port JP3 from Mega-Drive to the Amiga.
Still, JP3 is not even a good looking ECS Amiga game. Nothing AGA in there. Just lazyness or lack of interest.
Old 10 November 2017, 19:03   #45
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I never played JP3 on Amiga as I never owned an AGA machine, and there aren't many videos of it on youtube (only very short ones, all on the first level basically).

But I never liked the Mega-Drive game too much. After the masterpiece that James Pond 2 is, JP3 dissapointed me a lot.
Old 16 November 2017, 04:20   #46
turrican3
Moon 1969 = amiga 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
That's a good idea, but you'll have to change the gameplay a bit since, in my souvenir, gaining extra hit points and the flying hability is made only in the map section.
they just have to give extra hit point,something like 3 and perhaps more later. If someone has any interest to make an arcade version of MR. NUTZ using whdload, it won't be difficult to find beta-testers.
AdSense AdSense