English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware

Old 11 April 2013, 00:51   #1
christopherpm

Using large hard drive on A1200

I'm attempting to get an 80GB IDE hard drive installed and working on my A1200.

I've got the drive in, and I've managed to get two partitions installed - DH0 is about 300MB, DH1 is just under 2GB.

I've since installed the SmartFileSystem, but from what I understand, I need to install a different scsi.device into my DEVS folder as well?

I've got a patched scsi.device, but when I type version scsi.device the version always shows as 40.12 - not that of the one I have placed in DEVS

This makes me think that the version in KS 3.1 is still loading.

Am I missing a vital step here?
Old 11 April 2013, 00:57   #2
prowler
Global Moderator

Note that you won't need a patched scsi.device unless you intend to create more partitions which, together with those you've already created, will use more than 4GB of the available capacity.

Edit: Did you reboot the machine after installing the patched scsi.device?
Old 11 April 2013, 00:58   #3
christopherpm

That is the point. I'd like the biggest possible partition that the drive will allow.
Old 11 April 2013, 08:12   #4
thomas

Storing a file in Devs does not activate it. You can store the patched scsi.device whereever you want on your harddrive, it does not need to be in Devs. Important is that you activate it.

Download this: http://aminet.net/package/util/boot/LoadModule
Copy the LoadModule command to C and put something like this as first command into your startup-sequence:

loadmodule devs:scsi.device

After a reboot version scsi.device should show the new version.
Old 11 April 2013, 08:34   #5
Bamiga2002
BlizzardPPC'less

Send a message via MSN to Bamiga2002
And while you're at it, I recommend PFS3-AIO filesystem. It's the best
Old 11 April 2013, 09:10   #6
christopherpm

Thank you. I now have both the patched scsi.device working and PFS3-AIO installed.

My next question then, how do I see the full drive? When I go into HDToolbox to re-partition the drive, I can still not get past 4GB.

My drive specification is here:-
http://storage.toshiba.com/techdocs/...XUserGuide.pdf

I've run the Check4GB and for my DH1 partition, it shows scsi version 43.23, type PDS3, Ver 18.0, >4GB yes, Check * N

Last edited by christopherpm; 11 April 2013 at 09:20.
Old 11 April 2013, 13:03   #7
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by christopherpm View Post
I've run the Check4GB and for my DH1 partition, it shows scsi version 43.23, type PDS3, Ver 18.0, >4GB yes, Check * N
The SCSI check of V1.4 is broken. Please try this instead: http://thomas-rapp.homepage.t-online...s/check4gb.lha

Quote:
My next question then, how do I see the full drive? When I go into HDToolbox to re-partition the drive, I can still not get past 4GB.
What makes you think so, the size of the diagram or the numbers displayed below the partitions?

If it's the size of the diagram, then you should try this: http://aminet.net/package/disk/misc/fixhddsize

The number printed below a partition will never go above 4GB, no matter how big the partition is. If you increase the size of a partition in small steps, you will see that the number grows next to 4095 MB and then falls back to 0 MB. This is due to an overflow in the size calculation. Internally HDtoolbox uses cylinder numbers and not sizes, thus the partition size is correct, you just have to remember how often you dropped from 4096 to 0 MB to get the real size.