English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 07 February 2007, 08:35   #1
Penemy

Scandoubler / Flickerfixer Production?

Hello everyone,

I hope it is the right place for this.

I could start production of flickerfixer/scandoubler for ANY type of AMIGA, but I would need at least 100 customers, the price would be cheap, but I first need to know how many of you still need it?

External, similar to DCE ScanMagic

Regards,
PEnemy

Last edited by Penemy; 07 February 2007 at 08:49.

Old 07 February 2007, 08:39   #2
keropi

internal? external? based on what design?
Old 07 February 2007, 08:43   #3
Jope
-

Yeah, please give us more info.
Old 07 February 2007, 08:46   #4
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

I want one as long as the quality is good.
Old 07 February 2007, 09:26   #5
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The price would have to be below €100 as you can already get external RGB scandoublers for that price which work with the Amiga (and everything else!)
Old 07 February 2007, 09:50   #6
Penemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexh
The price would have to be below €100 as you can already get external RGB scandoublers for that price which work with the Amiga (and everything else!)
Something like that, the end use price would be something below 100 eur

Old 07 February 2007, 10:08   #7
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

I have been trying to promote a very cheap 2-chip solution to scandoubling for ages using Averlogic chips. AL251 Scandoubler + AL875 tripple ADC
Old 07 February 2007, 10:27   #8
Penemy

Quote:
I have been trying to promote a very cheap 2-chip solution to scandoubling for ages using Averlogic chips. AL251 Scandoubler + AL875 tripple ADC
Yeah, those are cheap nowdays, but what about flicker fixer?
ANd no customer for your solution?

Old 07 February 2007, 10:46   #9
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

Quote:
but what about flicker fixer?
The AL251 IS a de-interlacing scandoubler (i.e. flicker-fixer)

Quote:
And no customer for your solution?
Not to the level to make it profitable. Maybe you could drum up more customers if the input was a SCART socket rather than an Amiga 23-pin video connector. That way it would also work with Atari ST, SNES, MegaDrive, PS2, XBOX etc. etc.
Old 07 February 2007, 11:13   #10
Penemy

Quote:
The AL251 IS a de-interlacing scandoubler (i.e. flicker-fixer)

I see..

Not to the level to make it profitable. Maybe you could drum up more customers if the input was a SCART socket rather than an Amiga 23-pin video connector. That way it would also work with Atari ST, SNES, MegaDrive, PS2, XBOX etc. etc.
Well, honestly, I dont want make so profitable, just to cover some expenses, ok I will see about adding scart

Old 07 February 2007, 11:16   #11
Chain
A-Collector, repairments

Send a message via ICQ to Chain
100 euro? i will buy two or three for that price!
Old 07 February 2007, 13:07   #12
alexh
Thalion Webshrine

The price of scandoublers is artificially high.

The electronics cost next to nothing these days due to the launch of LCDTV's (Which all have Deinterlacing Scan doublers in them).

By choosing the right "high volume" parts, you should be able to make a low cost SCART to 15-pin VGA box and sell for well under €100 and make about 10% profit.

Last edited by alexh; 07 February 2007 at 13:14.
Old 07 February 2007, 13:15   #13
Penemy

Quote:
The price of scandoublers is artificially high.

The electronics cost next to nothing these days due to the launch of LCDTV's (Which all have Deinterlacing Scan doublers in them).

By choosing the right "high volume" parts, you should be able to make a low cost SCART to 15-pin VGA box and sell for well under €100 and make about 10% profit.
Which is, if you ask me, fair enough ;-)

Old 07 February 2007, 13:21   #14
T_hairy_bootson
Workbitch 1.3

Why scart?

I want a scandoubler for the amiga only, I have a RGB to scart connector but others outside of Europe will not. Besides wont you lose some quality from the scart connector? I am happy to keep playing my consoles on the TV, none of which even have a scart output. Couldn't people who want scart connectors have an optional cable made up?
Old 07 February 2007, 13:45   #15
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Would be good to have both attached, I think you'd certainly get more customers if a SCART was included.
Old 07 February 2007, 13:46   #16
coze
hastala vista winny vista

Send a message via ICQ to coze Send a message via Yahoo to coze
I think one should consider anything but the 23 pin connector, when you consider the rarity of the damn thing. Scart is pretty much available everywhere (even in Japan). I think a 25 pin connector would be even better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_hairy_bootson
Besides wont you lose some quality from the scart connector?
No way.
Old 07 February 2007, 14:30   #17
Legerdemain

I would be seriously interested (read: most certainly buy one)... but ONLY as long as the scandoubler offers 24-bit and is compatible with the A1200 (there are no 24-bit scandoublers for the A1200 unless one is using a Zorro bridge... thus buying one for the A1200 today renders useless if one wants to be able to display AGA correctly).

Though I just noticed that we are talking about an external one. Well, fair enough... although I would prefer an internal one.
Old 07 February 2007, 14:45   #18
Mick_AKA
crusader of light

As I mentioned somewhere else and has already been mentioned here, you can pick up a 15" LCD/TFT nowadays that will scandouble/flickerfix for under 75 euro, the outlandish prices associated with scandoublers/flickerfixers are just totally unjustified when almost every TFT, LCD and Plasma on the market can do the job.
Old 07 February 2007, 15:04   #19
Legerdemain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA
As I mentioned somewhere else and has already been mentioned here, you can pick up a 15" LCD/TFT nowadays that will scandouble/flickerfix for under 75 euro, the outlandish prices associated with scandoublers/flickerfixers are just totally unjustified when almost every TFT, LCD and Plasma on the market can do the job.
Well, the only problem is that one has to deal with pixel-aspect-ratio-errors as long as one isn't outputting the screens native resolution. So, either you will get a somewhat blurred picture (or if running via digial input, sharp picture which just looks plain crap). What is there to bother about? some might say, but I am really bothered. The only time I feel its perfect to use TFT/Plasma is when running in that certain screens native resolution... everything else doesn't simply cut it for me (that is also why i prefer CRT-HDTV's instead of Plasma/TFT HDTV's, the CRT-HDTV's do look great even when running lower resolutions than the screens native resolution).
Old 07 February 2007, 15:09   #20
Penemy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick_AKA
Ok, what resolution, and WHERE can you find 15" LCD for 75 EUR?