For France: Jim Power In Mutant Planet 2 7.69%
For Spain: Risky Woods 0 0%
For Germany: LionHeart 11 42.31%
For Italy: erm.. Lupo Alberto ??? 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23 September 2004, 22:15   #1
JudasEZT

vote for best epic side-scroller

This is like a WorldCup of epical side-scrollers.

I had the sensation (very freaky, I know) that several countries released an Epic side scroller on the Amiga,... and every country made all was on his hand to make this game be the most technically amazing game, with most amazing and big graphics, with something incredible in his scroll technics..

.. and the most important.. the most epical argument!!!

Youll understand when you look the voting list.. vote please.
Old 23 September 2004, 22:24   #2
uno
Zone Friend

Britain: 10 points!
Old 23 September 2004, 22:30   #3
oldpx

Germany but for Turrican, not Gayheart

And yes, I'm positive the graphics are better especially with T3

Old 23 September 2004, 22:31   #4
RetroMan

Lionheart was nice
Old 23 September 2004, 22:33   #5
Konrad

Not an easy one. The decision is for me between "Shadow Of The Beast" and "Lionheart". I love both games. "Shadow Of The Beast" has a great soundtrack and a lot of great effects. A major drawback for me are the enemies. Not all, but there are a lot which have too few colors or just look stupid which doesn't fit in the rest of the game for me. I always found it relatively difficult and there are places in which you could get stuck. That was sometimes annoying for me.

Lionheart on the other side also has great graphics but it doesn't create such a great atmosphere as SOTB. The music is good, but not as good the music from SOTB which is amazing. However the difficultlevel is ok and it was longlasting fun for me.

It would be a draw between Lionheart and SOTB, but the memories make SOTB the winner for me .
Old 23 September 2004, 23:37   #6
Codetapper
2 contact me: email only!

Agree with Burseg - Turrican 2 instead of Lionheart. Also if you wanted a New Zealand entry you would probably put Woody's World in (even though I find it a bit dull and slow).
Old 24 September 2004, 14:00   #7
7-Zark-7
Zone Friend

Question

Would triple the noms. for Turrican 1/2 in preference over Lionheart. Not trying to sound nitpicky,(though it probably is all the same),but whats the criteria-a weapony beat-em-up multi-scroller, or shoot-em-up or platformer? There's a bit of variance in options in those choices,thats all.
Old 24 September 2004, 15:54   #8
Big-Byte
Long time member

Who wrote Brian the Lion. That was a graphically fantastic game I recall.
Old 24 September 2004, 16:03   #9
CodyJarrett
Global Moderator

It was developed by Reflections, the SOTB guys.
Old 24 September 2004, 21:43   #10
Marcuz

epical argument? try Myth
Old 25 September 2004, 19:40   #11
lostfriend
Zone Friend

i made the pat
Old 28 September 2004, 23:35   #12
adamst85

Lionheart - awesome game. Jim Power was great too.
Old 29 September 2004, 01:04   #13
Amiga1992

WHAT!?!?! No Turrican II???? What's that pansy of a game Lionheart doing in Turrican II's place?????
Old 28 November 2004, 00:10   #14
DisposableHero

Lioneheart's an amazing game, makes Shadow of the Beast look thoroughly geriatric - and the gameplay varies as you go through it, and you can complete it without being some kind of super-hero freak. Switchblade 2 would be my UK nomination.
Old 28 November 2004, 02:58   #15
Hillsy_

Shadow of the Beast was a great looking game.....Lionheart, Shadow of the beast who cares....TURRICAN II is the best. Germany wins...

Switchblade II was quite a good game, definitely better than the first...but a Turrican II contender??? Nooooooooooooooo way!! Turrican II all the way..

Anyone with half a brain knows that Psygnosis were more about graphics than gameplay...Come on People....

Last edited by Paul; 28 November 2004 at 12:40. Reason: deleted direct signature "- Hillsy"
Old 28 November 2004, 13:39   #16
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_
Anyone with half a brain knows that Psygnosis were more about graphics than gameplay...Come on People....
bullshit! psygnosis was the publisher of Beast' games while Reflections, the devs, worked on other enjoyable games like Brian the Lion and Awesome.
But in general, Psygnosis was all on gameplay: Wiz 'n' Liz, all the Lemmings, Globdule, Agony, Hired Guns...
Old 28 November 2004, 13:41   #17
Marcuz

Btw, Lupo Alberto was enjoyable, whit a nice theme music, but it was damn hard and with this "programmed blindfold and with the feet" feeling...
Old 28 November 2004, 18:00   #18
Hillsy_

Awesome was a game just full of BUGS!!!! I had to take it back because it wouldn't let me get past a certain level. Shadow of the Beast is Graphics over gameplay. A good idea in theory but badly executed due to it's difficulty. Who completed it, not many. Hired Guns too difficult again. Psygnosis knew how to do graphics on the Amiga, but their gameplay lacked. I would agree that Lemmings is a good game. Brian the Lion was ok, it wasn't anything special. Yeah your lion, yeah you go over jungle areas, yeah you fight the bear etc..etc.. But it is certainly not the greatest game around. I thought Kid Chaos was better. Agony, yeah nice music, nice graphics, but the gameplay is alittle shallow. Hold your button down and that's basically it. Yes I know you have spells too...but I spent most of my time just holding the button down.

Oh and don't forget other essential psygnosis games like....Infestation, Nitro, Killing Game Show, Baal, Ballistix etc...Next you will be saying their good too.... Sheesh!! They are average at best.

Psygnosis deserve respect for their graphics and intro sequences, but not really over their gameplay. Lemmings is probably the exception.

Just my two pennies worth,
Old 28 November 2004, 19:20   #19
Marcuz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillsy_
Oh and don't forget other essential psygnosis games like....Infestation, Nitro, Killing Game Show, Baal, Ballistix etc...Next you will be saying their good too..
yes i would like to
but anyway i intend gameplay mostly as the feeling the game is responding to your control, that you have a grip on the stuff that happens on screen.
while those games may have(your opinion is worth as mine) pros and cons, for sure i felt like i was playing them, and not the opposite.
i've not said that turrican is inferior to them, but i think you are dismissing some choses of programmers as flawed just because they are adeherent to the scope of a game, like to say: hired guns is bad because is a difficult action rpg...
Old 28 November 2004, 19:23   #20
Tolismlf

I vote Risky Woods. It's definetely the best...