English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 01 February 2019, 00:03   #41
dlfrsilver
CaptainM68K-SPS France

Send a message via MSN to dlfrsilver
Ok, I have gone wild on Blood Bros arcade code. I'm currently decyphering the tileformat, and i'm going to reverse engineer the graphics.

the whole arcade code is 384kb. the program code in itself is not very big, but the amount of tile metadata is quite huge.

For this, i'm going to memory map the whole game code (seperate code from data).
Old 01 February 2019, 01:20   #42
005AGIMA
Re-loading. Please wait.

How about games that deserve a "re-port".

I'm looking at YOU Outrun

(and Chase HQ for that matter).

So bad. So so bad!
Old 01 February 2019, 04:51   #43
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

If I had the free time, there are 3 arcade games from the "pre-1985" era I would like to port. Well, either port or make games inspired on them. Those are some of my favourite games of this era:

Time Pilot
Bank Panic
Moon Patrol.

I think they all would be pretty easy to do. Moon Patrol has lots of small stuff that would be a lot fun to code, including the parallax scroll. Bank Panic uses 3 buttons on the arcade, but we could easily have options for 1 button, 2 buttons, CD32 controllers and joystick + keyboard.

Now back at the day, I would have LOVED to have Sunset Riders and NBA Jam on the system. I was such a BIG fan of NBA Jam, I was amazingly good on the Mega Drive version. Both games would be very doable with the right compromises. (Sunset Riders I see being harder to do, but NBA Jam shouldn't be that difficulty really, except adapting the controls for a 1 button joystick, that would be really REALLY difficulty)

I also would love to see some of the Capcom brawlers done properly. We all know Final Fight isn't very good and we love to bash it, but people never remember the TRAVESTY that was Dynasty Wars. Amiga version of Dynasty Wars makes Amiga Final Fight looks like top 3 beat'em ups ever. It's bloody awful, IMO among the worst 5 arcade ports on the system (Rolling Thunder obviously being top of this rank).

I used to say Cadillacs & Dinosaurs could had been done on Amiga, nowadays I know better and you would need HUGE compromises to do it. But I could see King of Dragons or Knights of the Round having pretty acceptable versions on Amiga. Maybe even Captain Commando. And, of course, Final Fight could had been better if Richard Aplin had the proper resources to do it.

-

A game that could have a "re-port" but it's not an arcade game is Castlevania. I really wonder how the heck Novotrade fucked that up SO BADLY. And you can't even say "Oh its a lazy ST port", that thing was PROPERLY CODED FOR AMIGA, it's just oh so lousy.... Amiga could have a very good version of Castlevania.
Old 01 February 2019, 07:04   #44
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 005AGIMA View Post
How about games that deserve a "re-port".
I'm looking at YOU Outrun
There is a huge thread here on EAB about this idea.
Basically, it's not that easy to do a port on an OCS Amigas that does the game justice...
Old 01 February 2019, 07:09   #45
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I used to say Cadillacs & Dinosaurs could had been done on Amiga, nowadays I know better and you would need HUGE compromises to do it.
Just youtubed that game..
Woah, no way in hell that is doable on an OCS system.

Even AGA would choke.

What made you think the Amiga could do this?

Quote:
But I could see King of Dragons or Knights of the Round having pretty acceptable versions on Amiga.
Maybe on an AGA system, but with a lot of compromises, I'd say. The BG parallax layer in both games needs a lot of colors, which then would be missing in the FG layer.

Last edited by Tigerskunk; 01 February 2019 at 07:16.
Old 01 February 2019, 09:07   #46
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Now back at the day, I would have LOVED to have Sunset Riders and NBA Jam on the system. I was such a BIG fan of NBA Jam, I was amazingly good on the Mega Drive version.
Yeah, NBA Jam is sooooo good

I purchasing this on the SNES and had loads of fun playing this with friends using the 4 joystick adapter

Quote:
I used to say Cadillacs & Dinosaurs could had been done on Amiga, nowadays I know better and you would need HUGE compromises to do it.
Quote:
But I could see King of Dragons or Knights of the Round having pretty acceptable versions on Amiga.
Regarding these Capcom CPS1 games; doubt an Amiga could really do them TBH. There would have to be massive compromises; and even still...

Last edited by DamienD; 01 February 2019 at 09:16.
Old 01 February 2019, 10:13   #47
d4rk3lf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Just youtubed that game..
What made you think the Amiga could do this?
Well, I feel, if some games would never been released on Amiga (Mortal Kombat 2, Setllers, Ruff'n'Tumble...) many people would claim today that it wouldn't be possible to make a port (or with huge compromises).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steril707 View Post
Maybe on an AGA system, but with a lot of compromises, I'd say. The BG parallax layer in both games needs a lot of colors, which then would be missing in the FG layer.
Who needs parallax for the proper gameplay?
I'd say, remove parallax, make sprites smaller, and it's possible to make awesome beat em up for OCS.
Old 01 February 2019, 11:37   #48
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

That's what I was going to say.

Gameplay is what matters. No need for parallax to retain gameplay.

King of Dragons, Knights of the Round and Captain Commando all got SNES versions that OBVIOUSLY were very cut down to fit on SNES.

It's just a matter of knowing where and how to compromise.

I mean... Would anyone ever believe the Game Gear (basically a Master System) could have a Neo Geo game? Yet look at Fatal Fury Special on it, freaking awesome game.
Old 01 February 2019, 11:47   #49
Solo Kazuki

Quote:
(...)
Moon Patrol.
(...)
There is rather nice clone of Moon Patrol called Overlander.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 February 2019, 11:58   #50
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

It's not the only Moon Patrol clone on Amiga (There's also Lunar Patrol). But truth to be told, while it looks nice, gameplay is eons away from the original and it's flawed on many aspects.

There's also a Bank Panic clone on Amiga but, again, there are lots of issues with it.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 February 2019, 13:06   #51
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
It's not the only Moon Patrol clone on Amiga (There's also Lunar Patrol). But truth to be told, while it looks nice, gameplay is eons away from the original and it's flawed on many aspects.
Moon Patrol is already available for the Atari ST, so for a start it can be ported to the Amiga.

[ Show youtube player ]

It is not a clone, but an official port, even if it sucks compared to the original Arcade version.

There are several other Arcade ports for the Atari ST, which are not available for Amiga.
Old 01 February 2019, 13:31   #52
Asman

@drHirudo Could you provide a list those Arcade ports for the Atari ST, which are not available for Amiga. Thanks.
Old 01 February 2019, 15:20   #53
drHirudo
Amiga user

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asman View Post
@drHirudo Could you provide a list those Arcade ports for the Atari ST, which are not available for Amiga. Thanks.
Some of the games that I allocated for you (In Alphabetical order):
Battlezone
Choplifter
Crystal Castles
Joust
Millipede
Pole Position II
Robotron 2084
Star Raiders
Super Breakout
Tempest

Of course there are many other, which I am not able (too lazy) to list now, but I think the above list is pretty good for a start.
There are some arcade games that were officially ported to 8-bit Atari computers (with dubious quality), but not to the Amiga.
Old 01 February 2019, 15:39   #54
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by drHirudo View Post
meynaf has already ported the Atari ST version to the Amiga, see here: Ports / Conversions --> Amiga.

Anyway, this thread is about Arcade games that should be ported, not Atari ST games...

For that, please use these threads instead:
Old 01 February 2019, 15:42   #55
Anubis
Retro Gamer

I would love to see golden age arcades from 80s all ported, including Phoenix, Crazy Kong, Scramble (C64 just got great conversion), Moon Patrol, etc.
Old 01 February 2019, 16:09   #56
Estrayk

I think that Moon Platrol can be made in Amiga OSC with a perfect pixel version and 50fps from Arcade. No need a ST conversion.
Old 01 February 2019, 16:59   #57
PortuguesePilot
Global Moderator

Here I'm only including arcade games that I think the Amiga could have handled well and that have no port already (to my knowledge). Here goes:

Blood Bros (TAD Corp., 1990)
Hang-On (SEGA, 1985)
Insector X (Taito, 1989)
Out Zone (Toaplan, 1990)
Pinball Action (Tehkan, 1985)
Quiz & Dragons - Capcom Quiz Game (Capcom, 1992)
Splash! (Gaelco, 1992)
Super Pang (Mitchell, 1990)
Super Slam (Playmark, 1993)
Tail to Nose - Great Championship (V-System Co., 1989)
Tumble Pop (Data East, 1991)

Here are some games that I think - might - have worked on the Amiga (including AGA) and were around within the time-frame when the Amiga was still available for sale, albeit these would have to be ported with hardware limitations and had to be made by very competent people:

1941: Counter Attack (Capcom, 1990)
Aero Fighters (Video System Co., 1992)
Bombjack Twin (NMK, 1993)
Cadillacs and Dinosaurs (Capcom, 1993)
Captain Commando (Capcom, 1990)
Golden Axe - The Revenge of Death Adder (SEGA, 1992)
In The Hunt (Irem, 1993)
League Bowling (SNK, 1990)
OutRunners (SEGA, 1992)
Power Instinct (Atlus, 1993)
Samurai Shodown (SNK, 1993)
Sunset Riders (Konami, 1992)
The Punisher (Capcom, 1993)
The Simpsons (Konami, 1991)
Varth: Operation Thunderstorm (Capcom, 1992)
World Heroes (Alpha Denshi Co., 1992)
World Rally (Gaelco, 1993)
Old 01 February 2019, 17:18   #58
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

I want to add another game that I always thought it would be perfect for Amiga:

Power Spikes.

It uses just 1 button, it's the best volleyball game ever, probably would fit in a single floppy, tons of fun, not graphically complex at all.

[ Show youtube player ]

Puyo Puyo 2 would also be awesome and very easy for the hardware to pull it off.
[ Show youtube player ]
Old 01 February 2019, 17:35   #59
ExiE

Both game proposed by Shatterhand (Power Spikes, Puyo Puyo 2) looks interesting and even I would play such game.
But is there really some1 who would play Moon Patrol in 2019???
Old 01 February 2019, 17:57   #60
Galahad/FLT
Going nowhere

Puyo Puyo 2 already exists as Minskies Furrballs

As for Moon Patrol, i'm assuming it plays like ass on the ST because graphically, its clearly superior to the arcade its based on.