English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Hardware > Hardware pics

Old 11 June 2019, 14:02   #1
Glen M

Amiga Arcade Controller all in one

I'm working on a new arcade all in one amiga controller, thing. Why? Why not...

Long story short but I recently picked up a faulty X-Arcade 2 player controller but the fault is in the board and not the sticks or buttons so I'm going to re-purpose it for the Amiga.

The original intention was just to reuse the existing case etc but that leaves several unused buttons so I decided to design my own 2 player case. That then evolved to include a track ball (the details of which I'm still working out) and then briefly I had the idea to build a full cabinet. I may still do this one day and I'm trying to base the design of the controller so I could insert it into a cabinet easily but for now money is starting to add up just on this so the full cab will have to wait.

So far I have the design as follows:

Things to work out

1. Should I go with the taller or shorter layout (see image below). The benefit of the taller layout is that I can install the AmiArcade boards vertically. On the shorter board the need to sit on the bottom.

2. Is the 106mm from lowest button to edge of controller enough space (see image above). I'm leaning towards stretching this out to 150mm.

3. Trackball.... I order one and its arrived today so I need to get it apart and see how its going to fit in. I just want to use the ball and wire up my own arcade buttons for left and right.

Any input would be appreciated.

Once this design is finished I'll make the PDF and DWG files available to anyone who wants them.
Old 11 June 2019, 22:53   #2
Wachi

Thumbs up

This looks great, the AmiArcade board goes great for this .......

Old 12 June 2019, 09:56   #3
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachi View Post
This looks great, the AmiArcade board goes great for this .......

Nice joystick you have there and yeah the AmiArcade board is great.

I didn't get a chance to look at the trackball last night but will get on it tonight and get my designs finished!

Last edited by Glen M; 12 June 2019 at 10:12.
Old 13 June 2019, 19:18   #4
Wachi

If you put the AmiArcade card, you can put up to nine buttons per player:
(red), (blue),( green), (yellow), (right side), (left side), (play / pause), (up) and (down).

Old 13 June 2019, 20:51   #5
Glen M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wachi View Post
If you put the AmiArcade card, you can put up to nine buttons per player:
(red), (blue),( green), (yellow), (right side), (left side), (play / pause), (up) and (down).

Why would you need up and down buttons?

I'm wasn't going to bother with start since it's never used in any game, or at least any games I can think off.
Old 13 June 2019, 21:53   #6
Wachi

I only put it as a suggestion, because the board has that option.
They are not really used, but you can replace the steering lever, accelerate, brake, jump, bend, etc.
Old 13 June 2019, 22:15   #7
Glen M

I may put the start buttons out of the way just so it's there in case I need it. I suppose a button wired to up would be handy for games where up is jump or accelerate etc but I dont want to clutter the controller too much so I'll just stick with the 6 each side for now.

The trackball needs a bit of thought. I'm going to cover the design process a bit in my video this weekend but I'll update this thread too.
Old 19 July 2019, 15:05   #8
Glen M

Just a quick update on this thread. I've got the majority of the controller together now. Mostly working baring a little issue I need to work on later but its certainly coming together now.

Old 24 July 2019, 16:01   #9
Glen M

Just another quick update.

The arcade stick is now working (if you seen my last video you'd know that) and I've since been working on the finish. This is the design I've come up with so far.

Any comments?