English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 08 May 2018, 11:08   #1
fstarred

Change keymap on DOS application

For Workbench 1.3 I usually do this procedure for changing keymap

1. copy the keymap file to key df0:devs/keymaps/
2. edit startup-sequence and put this SYS:System/SetMap<keymap>

What's the procedure instead for application that are launched directly without passing from WB ?

I've tried to copy the keymap to df0:devs/keymaps/, but it's not enough it seems, what am I still missing ?
Old 08 May 2018, 12:30   #2
daxb

It should be enough. I fear if it doesn't work your application don't use the keymap you set. They may take over the system or use a self made system.
Old 08 May 2018, 16:17   #3
fstarred

Just to clarifiy, I didn't do the second step, because SetMap is an embedded WB command.
Old 08 May 2018, 16:28   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

You can set your keyboard (also modified) from the startup-sequence through the SetMap command, example:

--------- Italiano ---------

Puoi settare la tua tastiera (anche modificata) dalla startup-sequence attraverso il comando SetMap, esempio:

SetMap Miakey
Old 08 May 2018, 16:43   #5
fstarred

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIGASYSTEM View Post
You can set your keyboard (also modified) from the startup-sequence through the SetMap command, example:

--------- Italiano ---------

Puoi settare la tua tastiera (anche modificata) dalla startup-sequence attraverso il comando SetMap, esempio:

SetMap Miakey
As I wrote in the previous post, I used to know SetMap is an embedded command in WB, so probably it woudn't be recognized in other apps

-- Ita --

SetMap è un comando che si trova dentro il WB (mi pare proprio nel path C) per cui da altre applicazioni non sarebbe riconosciuto. Sbaglio ?
Old 08 May 2018, 16:52   #6
AMIGASYSTEM

I'm sorry fstarred I do not know if I understand your request, if you want the system to use your own keyboard you can do it in the way described
I am attaching an old compilation of my toys made many years ago for my children, where I customized the moon keyboard in order to have function keys that type the file name without having to type it, attach old floppy games compatible only Kick 1.3.The mapped keyboard will not work on applications and games which in turn may have their own mapping

------------ Italiano -----------

Scusami fstarred non so se ho capito bene la tua richiesta, se tu vuoi che il sistema usi una tua tastiera puoi eseguirla nel modo descritto. Ti allego una mia vecchia compilation giochini fatta tanti anni fa per i miei bambini, dove mi sono personalizzato luna tastiera in modo da avere dei tasti funzione che digitassero il nome file senza il bisogno di digitarlo, allego vecchio floppy giochi compatibile solo Kick 1.3.
La tastiera mappata non funzionerà su applicazioni e giochi che a loro volta potrebbero avere una propria mappatura.

Quote:
SetMap is a command that is inside the WB (it seems to me in the C path) so that it will not be recognized by other applications. Am I wrong?
No is in the System folder of WB 1.3

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 06 June 2018 at 16:15.
Old 09 May 2018, 09:08   #7
fstarred

@AMIGASYSTEM
Thank you for your example, it was useful for many aspect beyond this topic
So said, as I suspected I had to copy the setmap command on C dir of DF0:, otherwise it didn't work (check your compilation too).

PS
After copying the WB keymap on my application the DOS background changed to wb default, honestly I wasn't aware of it.

--- ita ---
Grazie per la compilation è stata molto utile.
Dovevo copiare il comando setmap sotto DF0:C come sospettavo.
Quello che non immaginavo è che mi cambiasse anche lo sfondo con il default del wb (non è importante comunque)
Old 09 May 2018, 10:04   #8
demolition
Unregistered User

I guess a more general solution would be to make your own custom KS with the keymap that you want? I have a Danish keymap in my KS 3.9 and I guess it should be possible to make a KS1.3 as well? That would require you to either have some hardware with maprom ability or be able to burn your own ROM chip.
Old 09 May 2018, 10:16   #9
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstarred View Post
@AMIGASYSTEM
Thank you for your example, it was useful for many aspect beyond this topic
So said, as I suspected I had to copy the setmap command on C dir of DF0:, otherwise it didn't work (check your compilation too).
You can copy the setmap command wherever you want as long as you in the startup-sequence write the path, example:

DHx:MyFolder/Setmap Mykey

-------Italiano -------

Puoi copiare il comando setmap dove vuoi basta che tu nella startup-sequence scriva il percorso, esempio:

DHx:MiaCartella/Setmap Miokey

Quote:
PS

After copying the WB keymap on my application the DOS background changed to wb default, honestly I wasn't aware of it.
OS 1.3 stores the colors, the pointer and the screen resolution in the "System-Configuration" file found in "Devs". If the Workbench has returned to the default colors you have probably replaced, modified (preferences program) or deleted this file (replace the original one and you will see your colors come back).
OS 2.0 instead uses the preference properties in a similar way to the 3.0 file "System-Configuration" if present, however, changes its appearance colors, pointer and screen

------------ Italiano ------------

OS 1.3 memorizza i colori, il puntatore e la risoluzione dello schermo nel file "System-Configuration" che trovi in "Devs". Se il Workbench è tornato ai colori di default probabilmente hai sostituito, modificato (programma preferences) o cancellato questo file (rimetti quello originaro e vedrai tornare i tuoi colori). OS 2.0 invece usa le prioprie preferenze in maniera simililare al 3.0 il file "System-Configuration" se presente modifica comunque il suo aspetto colori, puntatore e schermo.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 11 May 2018 at 01:37.
Old 09 May 2018, 10:22   #10
AMIGASYSTEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
I guess a more general solution would be to make your own custom KS with the keymap that you want? I have a Danish keymap in my KS 3.9 and I guess it should be possible to make a KS1.3
K1.3 it also has all the Keymaps in all the languages (editable) they are on the Extras disk.
Old 09 May 2018, 10:39   #11
fstarred

I understand now, I used keymap of WB 2.0 indeed
Old 09 May 2018, 10:57   #12
AMIGASYSTEM

Keymaps files 1.3, 2.x, 3.x they are the same files except for some updates.
Old 09 May 2018, 13:28   #13
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
K1.3 it also has all the Keymaps in all the languages (editable) they are on the Extras disk.
Yes, but I was talking about replacing the default keymap inside the KS ROM with the desired one. Then there is no need to update any floppies.
Old 09 May 2018, 14:33   #14
AMIGASYSTEM

OK demolition, it would be nice to put custom Keymap in Kickstart, but then it would have to be done for every language
Old 09 May 2018, 14:47   #15
demolition
Unregistered User

Quote:
OK demolition, it would be nice to put custom Keymap in Kickstart, but then it would have to be done for every language
No, I guess he just wants the Italian keymap to always be default instead of the normal English one?
Old 09 May 2018, 14:55   #16
fstarred

Quote:
Originally Posted by demolition View Post
No, I guess he just wants the Italian keymap to always be default instead of the normal English one?
you guess well... however as you said before it would require a bit more effort