English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 02 October 2012, 03:50   #61
MethodGit

I must add my hearty congrats to F0L and MadAngus for their glorious efforts in resurrecting a useful website from the past!

My earliest memory of using AIAB was back in '97/'98, back when the default wallpaper was that distinct green football pitch and the window borders were of a darker navy blue. It would be ever-so awesome indeed if someone here happened to still have backups of the archives from that far back (we're talking the "hosted on ClassicGaming" era, folks), but I'm not holding my breath.

BTW, if you're looking for any and all "side orders" from the AIABverse, don't forget about this obscure release James posted on the old AIAB discussion board back in 2001.
Old 02 October 2012, 04:19   #62
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@MethodGit
Cheers for the file.

All gamepack downloads have been disabled temporarily pending new distribution permissions.

But if SWOS is re-permitted I'll be sure to add that one.

Quote:
It would be ever-so awesome indeed if someone here happened to still have backups of the archives from that far back (we're talking the "hosted on ClassicGaming" era, folks), but I'm not holding my breath.
Look a couple of posts up and you'll see prowler is providing most of the older versions, which I in turn will add to the AIAB site.

If there are any other obscure files folk, be sure to drop me a note.
Old 02 October 2012, 05:36   #63
ptyerman

Here's the contents of my AIAB folder. You probably already have all these but just in case here they are.

aiab-20060321.zip
aiab-20070528.7z
aiab-internet.zip
aiab-jit.zip
AIAB-MLM.ZIP
aiab-music.zip
aiab-pbdreams.zip
aiab-r10d-wip.zip
r10.5-update-20050606.zip
And 10.6
20071213-aiab-r10.6.zip
20071225-aiab-afaos.zip
Old 02 October 2012, 17:09   #64
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@ptyerman
Cheers for the list

From your list I don't have
20071225-aiab-afaos.zip

prowler's doing a batch upload so if that file isn't on his list I'll send you a little pm requesting an upload.

Keep them coming, folks.
Old 02 October 2012, 19:59   #65
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Thanks to SkydivinGirl over at AmiBay the font I was looking for was Britannic Bold, a 100% match.
Old 02 October 2012, 22:36   #66
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadAngus View Post
@ptyerman
Cheers for the list

From your list I don't have
20071225-aiab-afaos.zip

prowler's doing a batch upload so if that file isn't on his list I'll send you a little pm requesting an upload.

Keep them coming, folks.
I do have that file, but I don't wish to discourage contributions from any other members while I'm sorting mine out.

I have so much stuff to sort through that it may well be a couple more days before I can dig that one out, and I'm sure my collection won't be exhaustive in any case. So if anyone has a file which is missing on the new downloads page(s), then please upload it and don't wait for me to complete my search.

I don't have any new files to upload this evening. All I've found is a load of variously-named duplicate files. I did find MacAIAB-r8.sit, but it's truncated!
Old 02 October 2012, 23:10   #67
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Cheers prowler.

@ptyerman
Following prowlers advice could you please upload the following files to the zone.

20071225-aiab-afaos.zip
20071213-aiab-r10.6.zip

Cheers.

Sorry sent a duplicate pm, I think I'm losing my marbles.

I've thrown Xenu's Link Sleuth at the website structure to help sort things out.

I have broken links and orphaned files, I need therapy.

Let's follow prowlers advice, throw your lists on here and I'll check them and request the one's I've not got.
Old 02 October 2012, 23:12   #68
MethodGit

Quote:
Look a couple of posts up and you'll see prowler is providing most of the older versions, which I in turn will add to the AIAB site.
Yes, but everything he's uploaded is alas still more recent than the era I'm thinking of. I'm heavily confident there were releases made before the '2000' moniker was added on. We'd have to track down James himself for more info.

Such a shame that the oldest backup that Archive have of the old ClassicGaming site is from February '99.... after James had already moved to EmuUnlim! And they don't have the downloads page from that period either. *sadface*
Old 02 October 2012, 23:18   #69
Amiga1992

AIAB rocks! The original "Amiga superconfig". I downloaded it back then and I never ever used any other such system after that!
Nowadays I don't use it anymore but it helped me learn a lot about "newschool" Amiga stuff.

Congratulations on your return, AIAB

I might have an old archive of AIAB, actually. Let me know if I can be of help.
(hmmm, no, I have an "aiab2000" file, dated 20 august 2000)
Old 02 October 2012, 23:30   #70
prowler
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
Yes, but everything he's uploaded is alas still more recent than the era I'm thinking of. I'm heavily confident there were releases made before the '2000' moniker was added on. We'd have to track down James himself for more info.

Such a shame that the oldest backup that Archive have of the old ClassicGaming site is from February '99.... after James had already moved to EmuUnlim! And they don't have the downloads page from that period either. *sadface*
The earliest files I have are of the AIAB-2000-r4 archives. All AIAB distributions which pre-date these contain GIF code, 'ownership' of which was being claimed by CompuServe at that time, so these downloads were pulled, and that is why they cannot be found in web archives today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MethodGit View Post
My earliest memory of using AIAB was back in '97/'98, back when the default wallpaper was that distinct green football pitch and the window borders were of a darker navy blue. It would be ever-so awesome indeed if someone here happened to still have backups of the archives from that far back (we're talking the "hosted on ClassicGaming" era, folks), but I'm not holding my breath.
I've certainly never seen the green football pitch wallpaper, so you're definitely talking about AIAB-r3 or earlier, and the only place they might be found is on someone's old hard drive...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
I might have an old archive of AIAB, actually. Let me know if I can be of help.
(hmmm, no, I have an "aiab2000" file, dated 20 august 2000)
Could you possibly run that file (if it's an executable), or unpack it (if it's an archive) and let us know which version it is, please, mate? We're still missing AIAB-r5a from that era.
Old 02 October 2012, 23:32   #71
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@MethodGit
Fair point, I'll take what I can get from peoples file archives.

I'd love to spend some time trying to track the earliest origins of the AIAB releases, but alas priority is getting the site fixed and a release done this year (as in within the next three months).

@Akira
Cheers for looking .

If you find anything just list it and I'll come knocking if it's one of the missing files.

Also thanks Bloodwych for kicking all this off and thanks for the backup copy of the site, and everybody else in the universe I have forgotten to thank.

Last edited by MadAngus; 03 October 2012 at 04:01.
Old 03 October 2012, 00:21   #72
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

I have had a good look at Xenu's Link Sleuth output, roughly a hundred or so fixes to be done. Thanks to this tool I should hopefully have the site all fixed up this week, including any new files I am provided with.

Then I need to get new permissions for for the game packs and new component files etc.

Last edited by MadAngus; 03 October 2012 at 04:02.
Old 03 October 2012, 02:51   #73
MethodGit

Quote:
OK nonsense aside (mine that is). I have had a good look at Xenu's Link Sleuth output, roughly a hundred or so fixes to be done. Thanks to this tool I should hopefully have the site all fixed up this week, including any new files I am provided with.

Then I need to get new permissions for for the game packs and new component files etc.
Regarding permissions for the games, I take it you mean asking the original game companies? Good luck with that one. You might find it problematic to ask Psygnosis for instance....
Old 03 October 2012, 04:12   #74
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

I'm not sure it's even worth the effort for the whdload game downloads.

For obvious reasons.
Old 03 October 2012, 04:15   #75
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

Forgive my ignorance, I was under a non Amiga rock until last year, so what are the obvious reasons.

Apart from non existent publishers/developers.
Old 03 October 2012, 04:24   #76
TCD
HOL/FTP busy bee

So will there be any updates for the core of AIAB?

Last edited by TCD; 03 October 2012 at 04:34.
Old 03 October 2012, 04:24   #77
killergorilla
Lesser Talent

Quote:
Forgive my ignorance, I was under a non Amiga rock until last year, so what are the obvious reasons.

Apart from non existent publishers/developers.
Pretend I didn't say anything
Old 03 October 2012, 05:02   #78
MadAngus
AMOS Documentation

@killergorilla
Was I being thick, you can say yes without offending me.

@TheCyberDruid
Simple answer, yes.

I will be trying to put together updated components into an 'extract-over-the-top' package in the coming months.

As for a full redevelopment and installer release, that will require a detailed study of Jaybee's development. Once I have that I will then be able to progress to an updated core release.
Old 03 October 2012, 07:45   #79
ptyerman

Quote:
Following prowlers advice could you please upload the following files to the zone.

20071225-aiab-afaos.zip
20071213-aiab-r10.6.zip
OK, now in the zone.
Old 03 October 2012, 13:41   #80
MethodGit

TBH I'm not even quite sure what 'obvious reasons' KG is referring to either. *feels a bit stoopid*