English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 March 2018, 19:23   #21
donnie

I fucking hate it. But that is the way it is. I dont have facebook, never had. My only social media has been forums. And that has been the case since about 2000, maybe even earlier. so at least 18 years. I cant help but notice it. Forum after forum is dying. And the ones that still are alive have much less traffic.

The only ones that survive are the super specific ones. The more community oriented they are the higher the risk that they are gone.

And the more social community aspects of forums are almost all gone.
Old 14 March 2018, 19:29   #22
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
[...] Suggestion: the time you gained by removing your social media from your life, use it in other activities. Maybe you can learn programming for the Amiga
+1. The best idea so far !
Old 14 March 2018, 19:32   #23
Sinphaltimus

Social media is ultimately what you make of it. FB in general has become a shit show before I started filtering out things and people. Now, it's one of my favorite tools to stay in touch with friends and family I do not get to see much anymore (due to distances between settlements).

It also allows me to join groups of interests that I share, Amiga, TI, retro-computing, CRT collective, 16-bit gaming, PC gaming, church of the Subgenius, etc..... all under one roof.

I choose to be as active here as I am there, rotating namely between forums and facebook and even IRC occasionally.

They are just tools, no reason to lose your shit over them. They are what you make of it for yourself.

That's about all I have to say about that. Like or it hate it, it's not mine to judge.
Old 14 March 2018, 19:42   #24
Viceroy

A forum will keep going as long as the interest is still there, so much has happened on the Amiga this year and I find myself on here more than anything else on the internet lately.
Old 14 March 2018, 19:48   #25
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
Now, it's one of my favorite tools to stay in touch with friends and family I do not get to see much anymore
"Social" media has sold to people the illusion of "keeping in touch" online.
Keeping in touch implies real interaction. Even if you know exactly what your mom had for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, doesn't mean you are keeping in touch with her if you don't call or visit her and ask her how she is doing, and tell her how you are.

This is one of the biggest hooks of things like FB, and to me the most misleading one. By thinking we are "keeping in touch" with people using it we are fooling ourselves. I know I had for years, especially with family and friends spread around the planet, so I am not judging you, but I hope that by talking about it, people can make a better assessment of what really goes on when we use these "tools" (not tools), the consequences, and what they are closing themselves to.

Basically your being there, your activity, is the "currency" they sell (engagement), and what they sell, allows them to be a misinformation platform responsible for shit like spreading hate and fake news.

That is one of many reasons to lose one's shit about Facebook, or rather, just stop plain using it (I would not consider that "losing one's shit").
Old 14 March 2018, 19:53   #26
DDNI
Targ Explorer

Send a message via ICQ to DDNI Send a message via MSN to DDNI
For me FB became like crack. It was the first and last thing I did every day. I spent stupid amounts of time posting and checking.

The dopamine hit theory of FB success definitely applied to me.
The first few days off it were awful!
Old 14 March 2018, 19:57   #27
Sinphaltimus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
"Social" media has sold to people the illusion of "keeping in touch" online.
Keeping in touch implies real interaction. Even if you know exactly what your mom had for breakfast, lunch and dinner every day, doesn't mean you are keeping in touch with her if you don't call or visit her and ask her how she is doing, and tell her how you are.

This is one of the biggest hooks of things like FB, and to me the most misleading one. By thinking we are "keeping in touch" with people using it we are fooling ourselves. I know I had for years, especially with family and friends spread around the planet, so I am not judging you, but I hope that by talking about it, people can make a better assessment of what really goes on when we use these "tools" (not tools), the consequences, and what they are closing themselves to.

Basically your being there, your activity, is the "currency" they sell (engagement), and what they sell, allows them to be a misinformation platform responsible for shit like spreading hate and fake news.

That is one of many reasons to lose one's shit about Facebook, or rather, just stop plain using it (I would not consider that "losing one's shit").
That's very presumptuous of you. Not going to argue because there is no point to be won here. Just opinions. Anything can be bad for folks depending on how they allow it to affect them.

It's the responsibility of the individual to choose and use their tools as they see fit. It's almost like arguing about operating systems. I've had my opinionated say and I'm certainly not trying to turn converts.

Such is freedom of choice. But I will say it's not fair to assume my interactions on or off line as valid or invalid because of your feelings. Or that my time can be better spent. I spend my life as I see fit. So should we all.

EDIT - I will say this tho' , I uninstalled it from my phone because it drains the hell out of my battery life.

Last edited by Sinphaltimus; 14 March 2018 at 19:58. Reason: See EDIT above.
Old 14 March 2018, 20:10   #28
Vousti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viceroy View Post
A forum will keep going as long as the interest is still there, so much has happened on the Amiga this year and I find myself on here more than anything else on the internet lately.
If the kingpin loses interest, it's the end for other people too.
Old 14 March 2018, 20:18   #29
nogginthenog
Amigan

While EAB is great, I really miss usenet newsgroups. A far better user experience. I'd love a EAB to usenet gateway (WOS had something similar in the past). Hell, I'd probably even use Thor to read it!

Speaking of Thor did anyone notice New Horizon's (the Pluto probe) next target is the rock named Ultima Thule?
Old 14 March 2018, 20:22   #30
Vousti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
While EAB is great, I really miss usenet newsgroups. A far better user experience. I'd love a EAB to usenet gateway (WOS had something similar in the past). Hell, I'd probably even use Thor to read it!

Speaking of Thor did anyone notice New Horizon's (the Pluto probe) next target is the rock named Ultima Thule?
Don't look back to Usenet, it's history. We have to move on.
Old 14 March 2018, 20:31   #31
trixster
Guru Meditating

I don't use FB much these days (I occasionally put photos on there to share with friends and family, usually of group holidays) and I pretty much ignore peoples' feeds and any adverts/celebrity nonsense, but I do frequent the big Amiga group. It contains some useful news and updates. But you have to use it knowing its limitations - it will never replace decent forums because it loses too much information - you can't search it properly, there's no rhyme or reason as to why it chooses to promote some 'threads' and bury others, and you can't organise the feeds in any way.

It's a throw-away resource, unlike forums. And that's why for me it won't replace good forums any time soon.
Old 14 March 2018, 20:36   #32
Sinphaltimus

MySpace FTW!
Old 14 March 2018, 21:05   #33
Vousti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinphaltimus View Post
MySpace FTW!
I'm quite surprised it isn't dead yet.
Old 14 March 2018, 21:08   #34
Vousti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by trixster View Post
I don't use FB much these days (I occasionally put photos on there to share with friends and family, usually of group holidays) and I pretty much ignore peoples' feeds and any adverts/celebrity nonsense, but I do frequent the big Amiga group. It contains some useful news and updates. But you have to use it knowing its limitations - it will never replace decent forums because it loses too much information - you can't search it properly, there's no rhyme or reason as to why it chooses to promote some 'threads' and bury others, and you can't organise the feeds in any way.

It's a throw-away resource, unlike forums. And that's why for me it won't replace good forums any time soon.
There's no rhyme or reason? AI sucks. Nobody knows what you need other than yourself.
Old 14 March 2018, 21:38   #35
kkgarbod
The Human/Gray Hybrid

Location: The Elizabeth Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vousti View Post
Don't look back to Usenet, it's history. We have to move on.
Just like IRC, it's history.
Old 14 March 2018, 23:24   #36
arcanist

Somebody suggested I try joining the Amiga trading Facebook group.

I registered an account with my real name and photo. After being approved for access to the group I browsed for 20 minutes and then FB signed me out, saying it needed to verify my identity. I sent a photo ID with everything besides my name blacked out. A week later I was able to log back in for a whole 20 minutes before the process repeated.

On the next attempt my account was disabled completely. I sent a support request and they unblocked it two weeks later. Logged in and, sure enough, I got 20 minutes and kicked out again. That was my experience of Facebook's closed web.
Old 14 March 2018, 23:33   #37
Steve
I Identify as an Ewok

Facebook is killing more than just Amiga forums - it's destroying the fabric of society - and what's more the creators of FB knew the problems the platform would bring to society.

Here is a short video of former FB exec Chamath Palihapitiya regretting the moster he helped to create.

[ Show youtube player ]

Here is another proving they knew what they were creating would cause harm.

[ Show youtube player ]

And that's before you even mention the data-mining and private messages/data that is stored away in huge NSA cloud storage sites ready to bring out when the time is right.

Avoid Facebook like the plague!
Old 14 March 2018, 23:38   #38
Seiya

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDNI View Post
So stop using those toxic social media sites and come back to the forums
Amiga speaking of course, Social media (FB) and forum integrate each others. Forum extends itselfs on Social and Social extend itselfs on Forum
Many users read Amiga on FB and run on various forum and many forum users run on FB to have more and detailed info about a software
Old 14 March 2018, 23:44   #39
Vousti
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkgarbod View Post
Just like IRC, it's history.
Ehhh.... Depends who you ask.
Old 14 March 2018, 23:46   #40
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seiya View Post
and many forum users run on FB to have more and detailed info about a software
...this statement really shows exactly how deluded your opinions are

Fakebook doesn't contain more detailed "Amiga" information than dedicated forums do

You really need to wake up!!!