English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 18 August 2017, 15:47   #3681
Dizzy
Pirate

Some old text adventure. while waiting for The Last Crown - Blackenrock. Just love the first one
Old 18 August 2017, 16:49   #3682
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shatterhand View Post
I am not going to recommend obvious stuff like Metal Gear Solid - which I replayed recently and aged like shit
*record scratch*
Hold on hold on hold on. What?? Haha!
I played Metal Gear Solid now for the first time and I am completely sucked into it! I think it's a brilliant game. It also made me go look at the Game Boy Color "version" of it, which is also really good! It's like MG2 on the MSX but with elements of MGS. Really good stuff!

Sure the graphics are weird, but I don't give a shit! I really like the conversational parts, remind me a lot of Snatchers.

By the way you forgot to recommend Policenauts
(I guess a PS1 thread would be nice).

Now I gotta go back to my SFC. My Super Everdrive arrived yesterday. Spent the night playing Super Bombliss!
Old 18 August 2017, 20:03   #3683
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
*record scratch*
Hold on hold on hold on. What?? Haha!
I played Metal Gear Solid now for the first time and I am completely sucked into it! I think it's a brilliant game. It also made me go look at the Game Boy Color "version" of it, which is also really good! It's like MG2 on the MSX but with elements of MGS. Really good stuff!

Sure the graphics are weird, but I don't give a shit! I really like the conversational parts, remind me a lot of Snatchers.

By the way you forgot to recommend Policenauts
(I guess a PS1 thread would be nice).
Hahaha. I dunno, I made a "Metal Gear marathon" recently, I played all games that are canon, in the chronological order of the story. And when I got to Metal Gear Solid, I was like "Damn, this doesn't play as well as I remembered", but maybe it's because I was basically coming from playing the newer games... and then the MSX ones. To be quite honest I always regarded it as the one of the best games in the series... it's the only "modern" game that I replayed JUST AFTER having finished it. I remember when I first finished it and had that "Oh my god my Life is now over" feeling.... and then I just restarted the game and played it again until I finished it for the 2nd time.

Don't worry, I had the same feeling playing MG2 on the MSX, I was a bit like "I didn't remember this being so short and easy" and with Metal Gear 1 I was like "I didn't remember this shit being so criptic!!"

The only one I still didn't play (and have never played) is Metal Gear Solid 4 , because I don't own a PS3 and every time someone is going to lend me one something goes wrong and I can't get the game

I am nearly buying a PS3 just to be able to play MGS3, finish the game then sell it back

Metal Gear for the GBC is pretty good indeed.

Edit: The funny thing about playing all games back-to-back is how clear the whole story of the series makes no sense at all if you look at it with a magnifying glass

Last edited by Shatterhand; 18 August 2017 at 20:11.
Old 18 August 2017, 22:00   #3684
Amiga1992

Well yeah MGS has a bit of bullshit story in it, but I enjoy the feel of MGS a lot. The controls are a bit shit, I forgot that back then a lot of games were made for digital control instead of analog. I know you can turn analog on but now I got used to the digital shit (I hate the Playstation's D-pad, it's one of the worst ever).

I tried to play the first two MGS games, but the MSX versions don't work on Retropie without a keyboard, and the Nintendo version of MGS one was just, fucking weird, and hard. I mean, most cases, I was passing areas just by pure chance, then I got in a truck and got completely lost about where I was taken! Not a great game on the NES at least. MG2 looks better but until I can configure keyboard controls to joypad keys on BlueMSX on Retropie, I pass.

I miss my real MSX2

With that said, did you play the MGS remake for Gamecube? I will do that one after I finish the original.
Old 18 August 2017, 22:11   #3685
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Some old text adventure. while waiting for The Last Crown - Blackenrock. Just love the first one
HA! Just casually pops in after 7 years of inactivity as if no time has passed at all.
Old 21 August 2017, 16:17   #3686
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
wtf?? no - miss ya all, how the f*ck you doin''' etc...???

@Akira - thank you for link. I see, it is emulator. In that case I stick to RaspberryPie and RetroPie with new ability to enhance PSX games and make them look better.

[ Show youtube player ]

Playing Rage on PC, Shadow of the Colossus HD (PS3) and Strikers 1945 III (MAME) for this week RGL.
Old 21 August 2017, 19:57   #3687
Dizzy
Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
HA! Just casually pops in after 7 years of inactivity as if no time has passed at all.
Hehe sorry I farted ;-)

Well where to start. 7 years is a lot of reading, so thought about starting here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis
wtf?? no - miss ya all, how the f*ck you doin''' etc...???
Well I do miss you all , and having spend 7 years on anyhing but amiga, I think its time to come back to my amiga, and then I better catcxh up on what is going around

Sorry for being off topic. Back to playing Zork Zero
Old 21 August 2017, 20:12   #3688
DamienD
Banned

Have fun Dizzy and welcome back long lost pal
Old 21 August 2017, 20:16   #3689
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Ah, Dizzy is back. Seven years? Felt like ten or more.
Old 04 September 2017, 11:25   #3690
Lum

Finished with the regular parts of Mega Man Legacy Collection 2. (minus crazy modes/challenges)
So far Yakuza Kiwami seems to start off tougher than previous games.
Old 06 September 2017, 06:22   #3691
th4t1guy

Just played a bit of Sonic Mania which surprisingly had a reference to the CD32 in one of the levels.
Old 06 September 2017, 13:39   #3692
Amiga1992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
In that case I stick to RaspberryPie and RetroPie with new ability to enhance PSX games and make them look better.
Better? They look the same to me. Also bilinear filter makes everything smudgy.
In any case, whatever works good for you man. To me, I want to play PS games on a PS console, and popsloader is great and very convenient I still have the option to run stuff from disc for 1:1 gameplay. If I could be arsed.
Old 06 September 2017, 17:25   #3693
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akira View Post
Better? They look the same to me. Also bilinear filter makes everything smudgy.
In any case, whatever works good for you man. To me, I want to play PS games on a PS console, and popsloader is great and very convenient I still have the option to run stuff from disc for 1:1 gameplay. If I could be arsed.
Sure, but who can be arsed to connect AV cable etc... Great if it works for you, but I would love to have native vs. emulated support, just like if you play games from CD. It is really personal preference, and neither way is wrong/better...

RPi does good job, and if you connect PS3 wireless controller (or ps2 with USB), it does look and feel like real PSX. I still have PSX boxed, but can't remember last time it was plugged to TV.

ATM playing FarCry Primalon PS4. Interesting story and gameplay...

Still not done with Shadow of Colossus HD on PS3

Playing Liquid Kids (MAME) for Retro Gaming League (season 46, Week 7)

Last edited by Anubis; 06 September 2017 at 18:34.
Old 06 September 2017, 18:53   #3694
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
Just played a bit of Sonic Mania which surprisingly had a reference to the CD32 in one of the levels.
Would love to play it, but the DRM applied in it is almost malware :/
Old 06 September 2017, 19:17   #3695
th4t1guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Would love to play it, but the DRM applied in it is almost malware :/
Are you talking about Denovo or Windows 10?
Old 08 September 2017, 14:11   #3696
Anubis
Retro Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by th4t1guy View Post
Are you talking about Denovo or Windows 10?
Denuvo, bro, denuvo...

I see more critics writing about it...

http://store.steampowered.com/app/58...p_reviews_hash
Old 12 September 2017, 14:59   #3697
Muzkat
Into the Wonderful

Just finished Deus Ex Mankind Divided. Overall I'm alittle disappointed, as the game is rather slow and uninteresting at times. It's too bad the bulk of the game couldn't match the awesomeness of its final level, which was an absolute rush.

Looking forward to playing Torment: Tides of Numenera on my PS4, as I consider its predecessor to be the best RPG of all time.

I'm also playing some Tekken 7, and it's easily the best fighting game of the last few years.
Old 12 September 2017, 23:11   #3698
onkelarie

Still very much into Elite Dangerous since day one of its release. Even bought it for the PS4 to have just one other ship in a whole different shard universe

Last edited by onkelarie; 12 September 2017 at 23:18.
Old 04 October 2017, 20:19   #3699
Cpt. Hindsight

Cuphead

Brilliant little game but hard as nails.
Old 09 October 2017, 22:01   #3700
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Road Redemption (recently out of early access).

[ Show youtube player ]

Think that trailers often don't show the real game? Road Redemption is quite different. That's the game alright!

Often compared to Road Rash, except that Road Rash is primarily a racing game with fighting mixed in while Road Redemption is just you racing on a motorcycle beating the living tar out of everything else vehicular. Quite difficult, but also quite satisfying.

To my surprise, it is actually a rogue-lite with mild RPG elements like experience and upgrading. If you die, you're dead and you start over from the beginning while the tracks and shop contents are semi auto-generated so each playthrough is different. But while playing you earn experience which, if you earned enough of it before dying, you might spend on permanent upgrades which carry over to all future playthroughs. You can also buy things in a shop during a run, but those you lose upon dying.

Audio-visually the game is more than okay, especially for an indie title. It moves at ludicrous speed and the sounds of the engines and the weapons are satisfying enough. As apposed to early access builds, the game is now quite well optimized. The physics are a little funny, I've seen myself landing vertically against a pillar and as long as I kept pressing the gas button the bike just would continue to try to climb the sucker unsuccessfully If you hit an incoming truck you'll find yourself flying towards the friendly skies. Kind of comical, it's as arcade as you can get.

But the music is the real winner. If you're not into guitar noise then you won't like it but my god it's AWESOME. On the power of the music alone I sat through five deaths before doing my first rage quit, errr... I mean, "break".

What I don't like: the default controller bindings, they're designed to break your hands. Ouch. Other than that... it's a little gem perfectly fit for squeezing in some short play sessions. I can't see myself playing this for extended periods of time though.