English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > abime.net - Hosted Projects > project.Sprites

Old 10 February 2010, 00:19   #1
EreWeGo

Help! Editing "GOAL!" pitches?

Hi everyone,

not sure if this is the right forum, but I'm hoping someone knows how we might be able to edit some of the graphics in "GOAL!" - I've managed to use the Dino Dini File System tools to extract the files from disk2, (where most of the player sprites are, and the football pitches), but I can't get much further.

I end up with the .iff files for the player sprites, which is great, but the pitches appear to be in 16 "*.pit" files, eg: vmuddy1.pit, hnorm2.pit etc.
The game has 4 pitch types: normal, wet, muddy, and wembley. It also has horizontal and vertical views, and two different zoom levels, meaning a total of 16 options, so the 16 ".pit" files extracted makes sense.

However, I can't seem to do anything with these files - I can't extract them further, as they don't appear to be compressed, I can't directly open them with any image editing/manipulation software, and a Hex editor doesn't help much...

I can rip the images using "RipIT", which saves the file to disk first, then searches the saved image for relevant files. I can view, and save the pitches, (which RipIt detects as IFF/ILBM 320x256 8 colors), but there doesn't seem to be a way to edit them directly in the program, or import edited versions...

Any ideas on what I can try woul be awesome - it'd be fun to have a play and give this game a bit of a "makeover".
Old 11 February 2010, 20:11   #2
Joe Maroni

Send a message via MSN to Joe Maroni
can you please put those "PIT" files in the zone or somewhere else where i can download them ????
Old 11 February 2010, 21:45   #3
EreWeGo

Hey Joe, the 16 "*.pit" files in the zone now
Old 11 February 2010, 22:18   #4
EreWeGo

Hmmm, actually, I played around some more and found using a Hex editor that I could find the data fro one of the ripped iff files inside one of the "pit" files - so they are in there - just not sure what the extra "padding" does... I think I'll test editing one of the iffs, then manually copying the hex data over the corresponding data inside the pit file, and see if it works...

I know the "Dino Dini File System" sometimes "hides" files inside other files, and with KickOff 2 you can extract the data if you know the filename of the hidden file...I've tried this with the Goal data, but after many guess attempts didn't have any luck...

Ah well, I'll look into the hex a bit more...
Old 14 February 2010, 09:30   #5
lolafg

Have you find how to do ?

That would be fantastic to have new graphics in Goal!
Old 14 February 2010, 11:22   #6
EreWeGo

Hey lolafg mate,
should be able to get round to testing a little this week, had a busy weekend so couldn't get near my computer!

I'll definitely let you know if I have any luck!
Old 14 February 2010, 11:43   #7
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

There are iff files inside the *.pit files. The header most probably just contains the definition of the ball behaviour and stuff. Anyway, I extracted the iff files and uploaded them to The Zone. Creating valid *.pit files shouldn't be a problem either as long as you only change the graphics and keep the resolution etc.
Old 14 February 2010, 12:03   #8
lolafg

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
There are iff files inside the *.pit files. The header most probably just contains the definition of the ball behaviour and stuff. Anyway, I extracted the iff files and uploaded them to The Zone. Creating valid *.pit files shouldn't be a problem either as long as you only change the graphics and keep the resolution etc.
happy to see you here Sting , was sure that this thread would interest you !!
Old 14 February 2010, 19:12   #9
EreWeGo

Quote:
Originally Posted by StingRay View Post
Thanks Sting, yeah, that's what I figured once I saw that the IFF data was inside the pit files, the only pain is using a Hex editor to get them back in - not a major, just not as easy as it is extracting them

Not sure about any images on disk 1 yet - that's a different problem altogether - you can use the Dino Dini File System tools to extract the disk data, edit them, but because it's the cracked version, the tools won't let you recompile the disk... I'll look at that one later I think!
Old 15 February 2010, 01:14   #10
EreWeGo

Actually, to answer my own question above - I think I'll be fine if I use the WHDLoad version - I just did a very quick test and was able to extract, and write back data to "disk 1", so we might be ok!

I had another look at the .pit files, and found that there's actually two IFFs inside them - if you look at the 16 IFF files we extracted/ripped from the pit files, all the "Zoomed-in" pitches, (vmuddy1.pit, hwet1.pit etc), are missing nets and other features. So, inside the *1.pit files there are two IFFs, one for the "main" pitch, and one with other parts! Now it makes sense why I eneded up with 24 IFFs when I used RIPit, 16 for the "main" pitches, (4 pitches x 2 zoom levels, and horizontal and vertical versions of each), plus 8 extra IFFs for the "extra" parts of the *1.pit files...

Anyway, at least with some effort we can edit and test them...
Old 15 February 2010, 06:25   #11
lolafg

Yes , with Dino dini file system you must work with the original or SPS to be able to recreate the disk , I did that when i edited the teams and added extra teams directly to disk 1.

Great to see that there are posibilities with graphics , well done EreWeGo
Old 15 February 2010, 09:44   #12
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Quote:
Originally Posted by EreWeGo View Post
the only pain is using a Hex editor to get them back in - not a major, just not as easy as it is extracting them
I can hack a small program which creates valid pit files, shouldn't be much work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EreWeGo View Post
Not sure about any images on disk 1 yet - that's a different problem altogether - you can use the Dino Dini File System tools to extract the disk data, edit them, but because it's the cracked version, the tools won't let you recompile the disk... I'll look at that one later I think!
I guess you are using the Dynamix release of Goal!, that's a translated preview version AFAIR, you should use the TRSI version, that one is the final sales version and you can recompile the disk as well since there is no crack intro loaded in the bootblock. =)
Old 15 February 2010, 12:06   #13
EreWeGo

Thanks for the info Sting, you're a regular fountain of knowledge my friend!

I'll have a look at the TRSI version, as well as using the WHDLoad version I have.

The little app sounds great mate, would definitely make thngs a LOT easier - one question though, would it work with the pit files I mentioned where there appear to be two IFF files inside them? If not, no worries, just being greedy!

If you have a spare moment and can whip something up, that'd be fan-bloody-tastic, but don't do anything at the expense of your other great whdload projects etc!
Old 15 February 2010, 23:25   #14
EreWeGo

@ Sting - sorry to be a pain mate, would you be able to put the TRSi versions in The Zone?
Old 16 February 2010, 00:49   #15
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

No problem, in The Zone for you. I also started to code the tool to rip/insert the pitches, first beta should be ready tomorrow I think (depends on how much I have to do at work ;D). And yes, it'll work with ANY *.pit file, also those with 2 iff files inside.
Old 16 February 2010, 01:02   #16
EreWeGo

Hey Sting, thanks mate, you - are a legend!

Many thanks!
Old 16 February 2010, 15:28   #17
StingRay
move.l #$c0ff33,throat

Attached is the first beta version of "PitchMaster". It can rip all pitches from the Goal! disk and the (modified) pitches can also be written back to the disk. To rip all *.pit files use this command line:
PitchMaster path_to_goal_disk destdir split

If you omit destdir RAM: is used.

To write back the pitches to the Goal! disk use:
PitchMaster path_to_goal_disk2 dir wp

At the moment the modified pitches must NOT be larger than the original files, I might change that in a later version if that should be a problem (will require a complete rewrite of the Goal! disk.2 file but shouldn't be much of a problem).

Anyway, test and report any problems you'll definitely find as this is just a quick hack which was not much tested. Source attached too for those interested.
Attached Files
File Type: lha PitchMaster.lha (1.9 KB, 432 views)
File Type: txt PitchMaster.s.txt (21.2 KB, 368 views)
Old 01 March 2015, 18:35   #18
lolafg

Hello Sting !!

resurecting this thread , i know long time ago but if after all things you are doing you could have a look again to this one , that would be very apreciated !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks in advance !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01 November 2016, 23:06   #19
Fillo82

I'm resurrecting the thread hoping someone has made progress on this.. I really would like to get into modifying graphics and teams for Goal! (and share it with anyone interested) but I've got 0 skills in playing around with anything that hasn't a graphic interface (i.e. hex/command line editors).

Does anybody know/has made an editor with GUI to be used to open/modify Goal! content on adf files?

Thanks!