English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Technical

Old 21 October 2019, 21:50   #1
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Good free programs for Windows computers

Just a suggestion to post some free windows programs that we use.

For start:

Gimp - Image Editor

IrfanView - Image Viewer
Old 21 October 2019, 22:11   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

I like paint.net more. But I sometimes use gimp to do slightly more advanced stuff like cutting out parts that are not perfectly square, gimp has excellent selection tooling.

What else. I'm going to ignore programming tools which is the bulk of what I have installed, besides all the different store fronts.
  • Audacity
  • Notepad++

And once in a blue moon I use LibreOffice...

That's basically it actually. I can't believe just how few PC programs I need these days, most else of what I use is online or on a tablet/phone. I use "a" browser and "a" password manager, but I consider further details about those to be part of your personal information nowadays. You don't need to know.
Old 22 October 2019, 16:23   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I agree, those 2 are good and I use them both, notepad++ on daily bases. Here are screenshots and links:

Audacity - Audio software

Notepad++ - Notepad replacement / source code editor

And here are 2 more for today:
Multi Commander - File manager

MuseScore - Notation software - create, play and print sheet music

Just to note, that @ their web site you can download huge amount of already arranged music scores.
Old 22 October 2019, 16:35   #4
Daedalus

Audacity is excellent, and I rarely use the rest of LibreOffice, but the Draw module in LibreOffice is very good for quick flowcharts and line art - far better than the tools built into Word. And it can copy & paste the diagrams into Word, which makes it very useful. Inkscape is also a very good vector program.

Other than that, it's more or less only dev stuff for me. Most free software unfortunately isn't as good as its paid counterparts or lacks key features or compatibility, so they rarely get a look-in from me. Some free stuff I do use, despite its limitations, because I can't justify the cost of the commercial alternative and it's "good enough" (for example, I use KiCAD for larger PCB design despite much preferring EagleCAD), but for other software that's just not realistic.

Notepad++ is very good - I have personally preferred Gedit on Linux but also use it on Windows. Alas, they've dumbed down the interface a while back, so I might end up switching back to Npp at some point.

WinUAE should get a mention of course
Old 23 October 2019, 03:05   #5
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
XMPlay is a great lightweight mp3 / flac player, 100% free and still under development.
Also, I use the Windows binaries of SciTE. it is my text editor of choice, but I admit it might not be to everyone's liking.
Should you wish to give it a try from a computer running Windows, I suggest grabbing the x86 version from this page,
as it features an installer and a few (small) enhancements.
See how it displays some random Python file from OpenOffice beautifully, with syntax highlighting :

Last edited by SquawkBox; 23 October 2019 at 13:36.
Old 23 October 2019, 14:24   #6
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Looks interesting...

Greenshot - take screenshots of region, app or full desktop. Remap key, create shortcuts etc. Export to file, clipboard or some of popular apps...

Inkscape - above mentioned, popular free vector graphics editor.

Explorer++ - Just like Notepad++ is improvement over plain Notepad, Explorer++ is big improvement over windows explorer - windows file manager.

Last edited by Anubis; 23 October 2019 at 14:33.
Old 23 October 2019, 15:04   #7
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
Audacity is excellent, and I rarely use the rest of LibreOffice, but the Draw module in LibreOffice is very good for quick flowcharts and line art - far better than the tools built into Word. And it can copy & paste the diagrams into Word, which makes it very useful. Inkscape is also a very good vector program.
I used both the Word alternative and the presentation tool, quite intuitive. Although I do remember I had to "un-Word" before the writing tool started to really click.

When it comes to diagrams, they tend to have to go into the company wiki for which we use Confluence, and Confluence has a commercial module called Gliffy which I use for those purposes so you can just create and edit them in-line. It's quite alright. I've also used the site draw.io in the past as a free alternative.
Old 23 October 2019, 15:44   #8
Daedalus

The issue with Libre Office's word processor for me isn't a workflow thing as such, it's the less-than-100% compatibility with Word that means it can't replace it, which means you need to have Word anyway, so there's little point in having alternatives. Same goes for their other equivalents (presentations, spreadsheets...), but the equivalent of the draw package is Microsoft Visio, which isn't part of the standard Office setup and so is less common in the workplace, so most people tend to use Word art.

I'll add that SweetHome 3D is a decent, easy-to-use CAD package designed for drawing up room and home floor plans. I've used it several times to model my apartment and see how different furniture layouts might work and how to maximise space without physically dragging furniture around. It has an ok selection of objects, and plenty more available from online libraries that can be used or modified to suit. I've only used it on Linux, but there is a windows version available.
Old 24 October 2019, 16:54   #9
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I did not try yet SweetHome 3D, but I am using Visio since time it was not owned by Microsoft. (Also at Uni we used special edition it to build database structure and export it to SQL)

Not to start arguments, but why Libre office instead of Open Office, which both should be free (will post links later about them, when I get time to do so).

For today, how about LibreCAD - free cad that you can use to open and edit dxf and dwg files among others. Just a note, we also used to Irfan View + plug in to print dxf files back in time when we needed more options to print customer prints sent in this format.
Old 24 October 2019, 22:44   #10
Daedalus

Open Office development stagnated many years ago, right when it was in serious need of work. That's where the LibreOffice fork came from - frustration at the lack of progress, and it very quickly drew far ahead of OpenOffice. At that point, Oracle abandoned it and it went to Apache for caretaking, and while things have improved, it doesn't seem to be able to regain the momentum or match LibreOffice.
Old 25 October 2019, 01:20   #11
spiff
Oh noes!

Foobar 2000, music player that doesn't try to be a video player. Lots of nice optional decoders/plugins.
  • SACD,MODs, SID, slow down music
  • 2->5.1 5.1->2 mapping
  • Library management, tagging, normalizing encoding etc
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	foobar22.png
Views:	16
Size:	408.5 KB
ID:	64911  
Old 25 October 2019, 01:30   #12
spiff
Oh noes!

WinDirStat Win / K-DirStat Linux

Good way to clean up old files, and figure out where all that space went..
Visualize drive usage, clickable graph that drills down to actual file location

..and I guess everyone knows about 7-zip these days.. Packing/de-packing files.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	soirtPRogram.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	64912  

Last edited by spiff; 25 October 2019 at 01:38. Reason: 7zip
Old 25 October 2019, 01:46   #13
spiff
Oh noes!

...and while the title did say free. Here are some solid, reasonable priced options :

~ €50
Affinity Photo -> Photoshop
Affinity Designer -> Illustrator
Reaper -> DAW
VueScan -> Scanner software, negative film / slide colour profiles per brand ( Kodak gold 200 v4) , huge library of legacy scanner support etc
Old 25 October 2019, 02:04   #14
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

- BK ReplaceEm (aka Replace Text (by ecobyte.com))
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternativeto.net
At its core, Replace Text is essentially a text search-and-replace program. However, unlike the search-replace functionality of a standard text editor, Replace Text is designed to operate on multiple files at once. And you need not only perform one search-replace operation per file; you can setup a list of operations to perform. If different groups of files need to have different operations performed on them, this is no problem either. You can also specify a backup file for each file processed, just in case the replace operation didnt do exactly what you wanted.
- Programmer's Notepad (by Simon Steel)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alternativeto.net
Notepad more focused on developing than just scribble down notes.

These is not an exhaustive feature list, but gives you some idea of the features present in Programmer’s Notepad.

* Syntax Highlighting for lots of languages, configured with schemes
* Multi-language user interface
* Unlimited number of schemes supported, powerful syntax
highlighting supporting both user-defined and built-in schemes
* Text Clips provide smart templates for text insertion
* Code Folding/Outlining
* Docking windows for: File Browser, Open Files, Text Clips, Tool Output, Find in Files results
* Regular expression search and replace (full perl syntax)
* Excellent external tool support with user-configurable
output matching – click on errors and warnings to jump right to
the place in the file where they were generated
* Split Views
* Bookmarks (both numbered and plain)
* Export to HTML (using CSS) and RTF
* Code definition browsing and navigation (using Ctags)
* Non fixed-width font support
* Projects and Project Groups with multi-level folders and file system mirroring
* Scripting with Python
* Extensions support for developing add-ons with C++
* Support for UTF8, 16 and various file encodings
* Support for windows, unix and macintosh line endings
* Tabbed MDI interface, with multi-level split views
* Word-wrapping
- Cheat Engine (by Dark Byte) -> Action Replay like
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheatengine.com
Cheat Engine is an open source tool designed to help you with modifying single player games running under window so you can make them harder or easier depending on your preference(e.g: Find that 100hp is too easy, try playing a game with a max of 1 HP), but also contains other usefull tools to help debugging games and even normal applications, and helps you protect your system by letting you inspect memory modifications by backdoors and even contains some ways to unhide them from conventional means.

It comes with a memory scanner to quickly scan for variables used within a game and allow you to change them, but it also comes with a debugger, disassembler, assembler, speedhack, trainer maker, direct 3D manipulation tools, system inspection tools and more.

Besides these tools it also comes with extensive scripting support which will allow experienced developers to create their own applications with ease and share them with other people [...]
-Eraser (by Heidi soft)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidi.ie
Eraser is an advanced security tool for Windows which allows you to completely remove sensitive data from your hard drive by overwriting it several times with carefully selected patterns. Eraser is currently supported under Windows XP (with Service Pack 3), Windows Server 2003 (with Service Pack 2), Windows Vista, Windows Server 2008, Windows 7, 8, 10 and Windows Server 2012, 2016.

Last edited by malko; 25 October 2019 at 02:20.
Old 25 October 2019, 07:12   #15
jmmijo

Indeed spiff, been using 7-zip for years now

Technically game launchers like the Steam client are free to use, you technically can just play the F2P games or the just FREE games
Old 25 October 2019, 10:55   #16
malko
Ex nihilo nihil

GraphX2 (by PulkoMandy)
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphx2.chez.com
GrafX2 is a bitmap paint program inspired by the Amiga programs ?Deluxe Paint and Brilliance. Specialized in 256-color drawing, it includes a very large number of tools and effects that make it particularly suitable for pixel art, game graphics, and generally any detailed graphics painted with a mouse.

The program is mostly developed on Haiku, Linux and Windows, but is also portable on many other platforms.
Everything (by David Carpenter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by voidtools.com
"Everything" is search engine that locates files and folders by filename instantly for Windows.

Unlike Windows search "Everything" initially displays every file and folder on your computer (hence the name "Everything").

You type in a search filter to limit what files and folders are displayed.
ExifTool (by Phil Harvey)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Harvey
ExifTool is a platform-independent Perl library plus a command-line application for reading, writing and editing meta information in a wide variety of files. ExifTool supports many different metadata formats including EXIF, GPS, IPTC, XMP, JFIF, GeoTIFF, ICC Profile, Photoshop IRB, FlashPix, AFCP and ID3, as well as the maker notes of many digital cameras by Canon, Casio, DJI, FLIR, FujiFilm, GE, GoPro, HP, JVC/Victor, Kodak, Leaf, Minolta/Konica-Minolta, Motorola, Nikon, Nintendo, Olympus/Epson, Panasonic/Leica, Pentax/Asahi, Phase One, Reconyx, Ricoh, Samsung, Sanyo, Sigma/Foveon and Sony.
PDFtk (by Sid Steward)
Quote:
PDFtk is a simple tool for doing everyday things with PDF documents. It comes in three flavors: PDFtk Free, PDFtk Pro, and our original command-line tool PDFtk Server.
Technitium MAC Address Changer (by Shreyas Zare)
Quote:
Originally Posted by technitium.com
Technitium MAC Address Changer allows you to change (spoof) Media Access Control (MAC) Address of your Network Interface Card (NIC) instantly. It has a very simple user interface and provides ample information regarding each NIC in the machine. Every NIC has a MAC address hard coded in its circuit by the manufacturer. This hard coded MAC address is used by windows drivers to access Ethernet Network (LAN). This tool can set a new MAC address to your NIC, bypassing the original hard coded MAC address. Technitium MAC Address Changer is a must tool in every security professionals tool box.
wIPFW (by Ruslan Staritsin and Vladislav Goncharov)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wipfw.sourceforge.net
IPFW is a packet filtering and accounting system which resides in the kernelmode, and has a user-land control utility, ipfw. Together, they allow you to define and query the rules used by the kernel in its routing decisions.
xxCopy (by PixelLab)
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxcopy.com
XXCOPY is:
- A versatile file management tool for Microsoft Windows®.
- It is a command-line program (without graphical user interface).
- Supports all Windows versions (except Windows CE).
- It has more command switches (>230) than any other tool of its kind.
- An ideal component for batch files for simple and complex scripting.
- Accesses remote (networked) computer storage and local external USB drives.
- Command syntax compatible with Microsoft's XCOPY with few exceptions.
- Competes with (supersedes) Microsoft's RoboCopy.
- One download package contains both the 32-bit and 64-bit XXCOPY versions.
- Extremely rich in file-selection mechanism (by filedate, size, attrib, etc.).
- Wild-Wildcard (specify a path with wildcard anywhere for any number of times).
- Functions for Copy, List, Gather, Delete, Move, Flatten-Dir, and more ...
- A very mature product (the first XXCOPY version was published in 1999).

Last edited by malko; 25 October 2019 at 11:06.
Old 25 October 2019, 13:38   #17
brilliant

Like tools that are free,there is no charge for download and installed,even if it does nothing for us in the end.
SlowView is a good Image viewers
http://www.brennig.com/
Rhymbox is a good Instant Messenger
Mahogany Ma is a good Mail programs
http://mahogany.sourceforge.net/
WinSCP/RealVNC are good Network Tools
Recoverywindowspassword is a good password app for Windows computer
https://www.recoverywindowspassword.com/
As well as the FileZilla,it has been doing a good job.

Last edited by brilliant; 29 October 2019 at 05:41.
Old 25 October 2019, 13:55   #18
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

What a great list of programs. While I used some (WinDirStat used always when space is issue on a machine/server) I never heard of some others.

While I used for years as part of administration of computers - SysInternals suite, now owned by Microsoft, suite is still free and regularly improved. Instead of posting just suite as one, I will focus on single programs that are part of it.

Let's start with:

Autoruns - Program to list what is going on in computer when it starts. Great tool that can help you speed up your computer or remove unwanted programs that autostart.

Not SysInternal tool, but still very handy -
CPU-Z - all info about your processor, motherboard, memory, graphics etc..

Most of programs, if not all, that I posted here will run as stand alone - no installation required. This makes it easy to set them up on memory stick if needed. I will post later about program used to manage and update them.

Last edited by Anubis; 25 October 2019 at 14:05.
Old 26 October 2019, 08:20   #19
jmmijo

Nice, I use CPU-z as well, here is my comparison to yours:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	CPUz Threadripper 2950x.png
Views:	24
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	64933  
Old 26 October 2019, 19:42   #20
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
About CPU-z, the installer from cpuid.com isn't completely safe, better grab the standalone version (ZIP . ENGLISH).
It should run in a similar fashion. As you all know, the counterpart of CPU-z is GPU-z. Here's mine :

Last edited by SquawkBox; 26 October 2019 at 20:04.