Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - General

Old 15 October 2019, 16:45   #1
SquawkBox
Speedbump gimme goosebump

Send a message via ICQ to SquawkBox
Smile Ad-blocker discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
I agree but I DO have an ad-blocker installed so not removing it for this site.
Check https://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/ it's not unusual nor especially challenging to try to circumvent websites adblock
detection mechanism. Anyway, I zoned the PC port evoked in post #9, even virus checked it, so you all feel safe and jaunty.
Old 16 October 2019, 03:38   #2
jmmijo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquawkBox View Post
Check https://reek.github.io/anti-adblock-killer/ it's not unusual nor especially challenging to try to circumvent websites adblock
detection mechanism. Anyway, I zoned the PC port evoked in post #9, even virus checked it, so you all feel safe and jaunty.
Ah this requires Tamper Monkey to script properly.
Old 16 October 2019, 18:28   #3
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmmijo View Post
Ah this requires Tamper Monkey to script properly.
Mine scripts on top of the Greasemonkey script manager, should work in a similar fashion. Another cool user script is the one which allows to get rid of the "missing download" notice from emuparadise.me (probably with their implicit consent).

Last edited by SquawkBox; 16 October 2019 at 23:40.
Old 18 October 2019, 03:23   #4
Fissuras
Old Luny

Well, I just tried reloading the site and pressing stop button (actually a X signal on Firefox). On my third attempt I managed to time it right and downloaded the game
Old 18 October 2019, 13:07   #5
SquawkBox

Glad you managed. I use Pale Moon as my main web browser. Dunno, may be it has secret all-terrain capabilities compared to the more popular ones out there .
Toggle hi res and off you go!
Old 19 October 2019, 18:58   #6
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Anti-Adblock Killer is a dead project for years now and has a great impact on webpage rendering perfromance (i7-8700K here).

Nano Defender, an "Anti-Adblock Killer" addon for Nano Adblocker is a much smoother solution, both for Chrome & Firefox.
Old 21 October 2019, 14:32   #7
SquawkBox

If it ain't broke, don't fix it as they say. I do realize said user script won't be updated anytime soon, but it hasn't been disabled from the server side yet, so I will keep using it (and its "EasyLists" filter lists) a few more months. AFAIK Nano AdBlocker / Defender comes from the same guys who offered us uBlock Origin, and the latter did feature a rather debatable "Acceptable Ads" pool of forced ads, none of that nonsense in AdBlock Latitute, the variant I use in Pale Moon.
I don't know the reason behind the loss of performance on your behemoth computer, maybe too many easy lists (I use four of them) are triggered. On my setup (a modest core2duo x64 Win7 at stock speed), Pale Moon is fast enough. Of course, Chrome is much faster (takes a while to load at first start though), but it's not as much filled with tabs and extensions as Pale Moon is. Btw, there should be viable alternatives to Firefox (Waterfox ?) out there, but also to Chrome (Chromium).
My gripes with Firefox comes from the fact that, without any convincing explanation, the Mozilla foundation was suddenly begging for money (same with those morons at the Wikimedia foundation), and the updates were much too frequent. I do realize that without Firefox, there wouldn't have been a Pale Moon fork. Nonetheless, I'll stick with the aforementioned challenger.
Old 21 October 2019, 15:06   #8
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
AFAIK Nano AdBlocker / Defender comes from the same guys who offered us uBlock Origin
No, google it and don't assume things because you're afraid of changes.

Quote:
I don't know the reason behind the loss of performance on your behemoth computer
There is no loss of performance on my computer after installing that script, I said there's "great impact on webpage rendering performance".
You know, how the browser renders shit on screen before you can view it in all it's glory?
Easily noticible on a 144Hz monitor, I tried it in both my daily browsers - Chrome & Firefox.
Old 21 October 2019, 15:46   #9
DamienD
Global Moderator

All the above posts moved from this thread as it was getting way Off-Topic: Calling All PeeCee Players.
Old 21 October 2019, 16:44   #10
SquawkBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoonay View Post
google it and don't assume things
Code:
Nano Adblocker is based on uBlock Origin.
says the readme from NanoCore official github so, in essence, unless they decide to rewrite their various add-ons from scratch, it can only be considered as a fork from uBlock Origin, like it or not. At the very least, gorhill gave his blessing for nano to emerge, not that there is anything wrong with that.
Quote:
my daily browsers - Chrome & Firefox
That's a rather conservative choice of daily browsers, did you give a try to Maxthon, to good old Opera lately ? Since you seem eager to have us all jump on the bandwagon to ditch reek and switch to nano, I think your input would be greatly appreciated at the Acceptable Ads committee .
Old 21 October 2019, 16:51   #11
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Exactly. Based on it's code. That does not mean
Quote:
AFAIK Nano AdBlocker / Defender comes from the same guys who offered us uBlock Origin
that I was reffering to.

Not to mention
Quote:
feature a rather debatable "Acceptable Ads" pool of forced ads
is also a false claim.

Quote:
did you give a try to Maxthon, to good old Opera lately?
No. Maxthon I do not care about casue it uses two of the most incompatible engines out there, and Opera is based on Chrome, so why bother?

Quote:
Since you seem eager to have us all jump on the bandwagon to ditch reek and switch to nano
You can use whatever you want, I'm just sharing my recent discoveries about currently used extensions since I wasn't following all the forking and switching for years.

Last edited by Shoonay; 21 October 2019 at 17:12.
Old 21 October 2019, 18:44   #12
SquawkBox

Quote:
Not to mention [...] is also a false claim.
Come on now... AdBlock acquired uBlock in July, 2018 and made it clear on their blog they would have to go on with the acceptable ads policy
https://blog.getadblock.com/ublock-n...ds-6d8d2280783
Please read on :
Code:
we are starting to offer Acceptable Ads in our uBlock extension, which we acquired last year. We’re looking forward to giving users the ability to support websites they love by allowing non-intrusive advertising in uBlock for Chrome and Firefox soon.
not to mention I am quite sure it's not a business decision from Adblock team per se but a trend that was already taking place in uBlock Origin since a longer period of time.

Code:
... operated by an independent, adblocker-agnostic non-profit (committee), Acceptable Ads offers our users a way to enjoy distraction-free browsing while allowing websites to generate income from ads.
(the word committee was added by me since otherwise the sentence I am quoting wouldn't make any sense). Non-profit, agnostic organization which takes calls from companies executives anxious to get their ads featured in uBlock / Adblock enabled browsers .
Old 21 October 2019, 19:04   #13
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Wow. See how confusing it is with all the forks? Thanks Linux!
That's uBlock.
Nano Adblocker is based on uBlock Origin, which is still "acceptable ads" free AFAIK.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UBlock_Origin

ALSO, like I said a few posts above, "acceptable ads" can be turned off:

Another extension that can be considered safe is AdGuard.

And a bonus screenshot from my Nano: https://i.imgur.com/noPtxfr.png

PS: Here's a nice little test for the quality of your adblocker, if it says you don't have one, you passed.
https://blockads.fivefilters.org/
Be sure to click the 'Acceptable' Ads? link in the upper right corner of the page and read the whole article if you still don't believe me.

Last edited by Shoonay; 21 October 2019 at 19:20.
Old 22 October 2019, 02:20   #14
SquawkBox

Quote:
See how confusing it is with all the forks? Thanks Linux!
Thanks for clarifying, I assume then that the name uBlock comes directly from the popularity of uBlock Origin.

Quote:
like I said a few posts above, "acceptable ads" can be turned off
It should be obvious by now Acceptable Ads policy is an integral part of uBlock business model, disable them and I bet they will be silently enabled back upon next update.

Quote:
Another extension that can be considered safe is AdGuard.
If you have AdGuard from AdGuard software ltd. in mind, I have subscribed to a lifetime license myself (not a free service) but I had to leave Pale Moon aside from its clutches as it made it unstable. Now I use AdBlock Latitude, which is direct fork of Adblock Plus.

Quote:
And a bonus screenshot from my Nano
Dude, you've enabled a shitload of filters in nano . I think it's overkill tbh, but as you see fit.

Quote:
Here's a nice little test for the quality of your adblocker, if it says you don't have one, you passed.
This test is probably biased towards the other adblockers, since it reacts positively over both my AdGuard enabled Chrome and over my AdBlock Plus enabled Maxthon.

Quote:
Be sure to click the 'Acceptable' Ads ? link in the upper right corner of the page and read the whole article.
I only did read the beginning. I didn't find it especially informative, rather misleading as a whole with scattered bits of useful stuff.

Finally, I don't think you have demonstrated that aark will be any slower than nano on any computer. It may be slower to render web pages on your system, but this may not be the case on each and every computer out there.
Old 22 October 2019, 16:35   #15
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
Dude, you've enabled a shitload of filters in nano . I think it's overkill tbh, but as you see fit.
Haha, you're obviously new to adblocking, there is no overkill, only... DESTROY ALL ADS!

Quote:
This test is probably biased towards the other adblockers
It's not about the adblocker extension you use, it's a test for your Anti-Adblock-Killer script. If it doesn't hide it properly and say
Code:
No ad blocking detected
We suggest you install an ad blocker
it means it's not doing a great job.

Quote:
I don't think you have demonstrated that aark will be any slower than nano on any computer.
Well I could simply record the footage on my smartphone at 240fps and show that, but who cares, use what you want if you like it. ¯\_(;/)_/¯
Old 24 October 2019, 19:04   #16
SquawkBox

Quote:
you're obviously new to adblocking
No, I am not, far from it, but yeah I'd rather keep things the way they are on my setup. It may occur that the Firefox fork I am using pushes CPU usage way too hard so I have to kill the corresponding task, but I don't think this could be related to Reek in any way.

Quote:
a test for your Anti-Adblock-Killer script.
I do prefer real life tests (web sites filled with ads), but thanks anyway. I've noticed this test (or self-summary) while googling : https://browserleaks.com/proxy
should let you know what kind of scripts and popular ad-blocking extensions you are currently running in order for you to know they know .

Quote:
I could simply record the footage on my smartphone at 240fps and show that.
It's up to you to post that 240 fps footage. At least, it may illustrate your point better than throwing impressive PC specs at us. Certainly won't bring old me to get rid of Reek though (I know, I know I may use whatever I want, just saying ). I think, in the US, they have that saying "whatever floats your boat (or mine)".

Don't get me wrong, there is no denying you know a great deal about computers, but you shouldn't assume I am afraid of changes. I already said you made your point concerning uBlock VS uBlock Origin being different in nature, but don't you think comparing uBlock Origin's speed with Nano's with the same scripts ticked would make more sense. Why did I choose AdGuard over uBlock btw (I think uBlock was the one I was using by that time) ? I wholeheartedly subscribed for one because uBlock was inducing some instabilities with my main browser (and it may induce them again in Chrome, it's a matter of going back and forth from free to shareware stuff sometimes). Users benefit greatly from the competition between the various ad blocker organizations these days, but some folks did notice they were taming their detection routines for ebay and stuff so you should know it cannot be offered 100% free, as in free lunch.

AdGuard folks deserve some contributions and praise but their tool is not always in sync, e.q. some previous beta version did cause my computer to rapidly crash (BSOD), at some other time, it was causing slowdowns (in that case, I had to untick a few scripts yeah less "protection"). Also, AdGuard goes beyond a mere adblocker, it can also block threats to some extend (so you wouldn't have to monitor your system for spyware detection with yet another tool e.q. through the use of Spybot). And then, there's the fact that Win7 may soon join Vista in Bill Gate's trashbin of stale OS'es!

In fact I am so confident you know your stuff that I may expose an issue I have with Chrome on my main computer. Feel free to help me with it, if u wish. Simply put, it won't let me update to the latest version. Current version is v74.0.3729.108 (Build officiel) (64 bits). I tried to reinstall from the offline installer, also tried uninstalling it then reinstalling to no avail.

Last edited by SquawkBox; 24 October 2019 at 19:21.
Old 25 October 2019, 03:23   #17
UberFreak

Quote:
there is no overkill, only... DESTROY ALL ADS!

THIS, a million times over.
I have all lists enabled + a ton of custom filters I added myself for stuff that got through the cracks.
If I can't get a website 100% free from ads (and other annoyances, like auto-play video and audio), I don't visit it.

I'm currently with uBlock Origin, going to try this Nano and compare
Old 25 October 2019, 18:33   #18
Shoonay
Global Caturator

Quote:
No, I am not, far from it, but yeah I'd rather keep things the way they are on my setup.
Containing ads, that is?
I will never understand the logic behind "I would never use an adblocker that allows some ads on it's own, but at the same time I will not turn on all of the filters" which basically equals to "I am intentionally allowing some ads but I will not allow the adblocker to allow some allowed ads"

Quote:
I do prefer real life tests (web sites filled with ads)
Not satisfied with the outcome on the site? Let me guess, it told you adblocker was detected?
Here's one that you will never come across that complained about turning off my adblocker constantly, both when using "normal" adblockers only and armed with that AAK script: https://www.onet.pl go to it and click on different menus like SPORT, BIZNES, TECHNOLOGIE, scroll to the bottom of the page like you normally would... aren't you getting "Adblock detected" popus?

Quote:
you shouldn't assume I am afraid of changes.
Well, call it what you want but not wanting to get rid of current solution and wanting to check a different solution = being afraind of changes, in my book.

Quote:
an issue I have with Chrome on my main computer
Can be multiple thing, too old computer, junk in the temp filder... uninstall Chrome, clear temp, run Disk Cleanup (from Control Panel/Admin Tools), clear Storage (from Windows Settings/System/Storage) run "sfc /scannow"
And if all fails, try Tweaking.com - Windows Repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
I have all lists enabled + a ton of custom filters I added myself for stuff that got through the cracks.
I'm always open to new filters, coul you post a screenie of the ones you use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFreak View Post
I'm currently with uBlock Origin, going to try this Nano and compare
Don't forget to install both Nano Adblocker + Nano Defender!
Old 25 October 2019, 21:47   #19
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

I've no idea how all of that works...

Care to explain?
Old 26 October 2019, 00:57   #20
Hewitson

Using an ad blocker is going about things the wrong way in my opinion. Why not just avoid shit websites? That's what I do.