English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.Apps

Old 12 October 2019, 01:07   #1
slaapliedje

3.1.4 4000D Modules disk.

So I know during install that I've never had to install this disk, so kind of was wondering if there is any comprehensive documentation on what the files on it do.

Code:
C:
  LoadModule

DEVS:
  A4000D:
    scsi.device
  audio.device
  console.device
  gameport.device
  input.device
  keyboard.device
  ramdrive.device
  timer.device
  trackdisk.device
L:
  FastFileSystem
  Ram-Handler
  Shell-Seg
LIBS:
  A4000D:
    exec.library
    graphics.library
  icon.library
  intuition-v45.library
  layers.library
  mathffp.library
  mathieeesingbas.library
  Modules:
    bootmenu
    syscheck
  Resources:
    battclock.resource
    FileSystem.resource
  utility.library
  workbench.library

So what do all of these do? Are they compiled for 020/030+? Since the 4000D always came with either an 030 (CR) or 040+? Not entirely sure what bootmenu and syscheck do. Would be cool to add the mhz of the processor and memory to the kickstart early startup like 4.1 does, so not sure if you could do that with bootmenu or what.

I am only aware of someone mentioning the different scsi.device for the 4000, but I've never installed any of these on my 4000s, so just curious if I should, or what benefit they have. Thanks!
Old 12 October 2019, 13:39   #2
thomas

The Modules disk contains Kickstart modules. If you install 3.1.4 on a system with 3.1 ROM these files are copied to the boot partition and loaded at system startup.

You probably have a 3.1.4 ROM, so you don't need this disk as all the modules are already in ROM.

The bootmenu is what you see when you hold down both mouse buttons after a reset. It is also known as Early Startup Menu. I don't remember, but I don't think it shows system information yet. Maybe with 3.2.
Old 12 October 2019, 18:26   #3
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomas View Post
The Modules disk contains Kickstart modules. If you install 3.1.4 on a system with 3.1 ROM these files are copied to the boot partition and loaded at system startup.

You probably have a 3.1.4 ROM, so you don't need this disk as all the modules are already in ROM.

The bootmenu is what you see when you hold down both mouse buttons after a reset. It is also known as Early Startup Menu. I don't remember, but I don't think it shows system information yet. Maybe with 3.2.

Thanks! That clears everything up. I do indeed have a 3.1.4 ROM in it. Funny thing, I bought a physical copy and the digital download. For whatever random reason, the physical one stopped working in my A4000 (though now I suspect it may have been something else that I didn't seat right when I was swapping ROMs, because it had worked the first time) so I ended up downloading the digital one and burning it myself, which worked fine. Then when I got my second A4000 (towerized!), I tried the ones I got from Amiga on the Lake again and they worked fine, so that's what I've been running.

Now to see about programming a GAL for U213 on the A3640... not sure if I feel confident in my skills to replace the chip anyhow... having weird random problems since I upgraded to Buster 11..

Anyhow, thanks for the info, very useful to know. Would be a great feature for 3.2, especially if there ends up being 3.2 kickstart ROMs.