English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 06 October 2019, 04:48   #1
ransom1122

Custom control mappings

Hiya

Short and sweet.... Is it possible to remap/bind left and right trigger of an xbox one or 360 controller to both left and right shift keys?

I believe triggers are not buttons but axis functions...

Wanting to use pinball dreams flippers as my L&R Triggers on my controller?

Thanks
Old 06 October 2019, 14:48   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Yes, it is already possible. Any analog stick/trigger works as a button if mapped to a button or a key.
Old 07 October 2019, 12:31   #3
ransom1122

Yes.. I got it working...

I think i just got confused with the overly simple Test and then Remap to Config 1 method

Thank you
Old 12 October 2019, 12:43   #4
Pipmick

I've been working with ransom1122 on setting up some transferrable controls across different PCs with different USB controllers (such as Xbox 360, Xbox One, PS3, PS4, USB joysticks, etc) and here's what I've found:

If you were to:

1) Map controls under 'Game Ports' only - they are transferrable to any PC with ANY USB / wireless controller

2) Map controls under 'Game Ports' AND some additional controls under 'Input' as well from within the GUI - they are NOT transferrable because it seems to override the Game Port settings AND make those additional controls match ONLY the controller they were set up with, so you can't move them to another PC with a different controller

3) Map controls using 'Input' within the GUI only (therefore not bothering with 'Game Ports' at all within the GUI) - they are also NOT transferrable across PCs

I've also found that you can't map the LT/RT buttons on a XBox 360 pad to Z-axis (+) and Z-axis (-) under 'Game Ports' set up as they register as only one Z-axis, so you can map only one control to either or both LT/RT. I suppose this could be possible if done with a text editor though and you knew the coding for it. However, that would need to be tested.

Very strange, but I'm glad I've found this out before mapping loads of games!

What this means to me (and I could be wrong) is that you can only map using 'Game Ports' to enable transferrable controls across PCs with different controllers to be certain of working and in turn, this limits the number of inputs you can map to something like 10-12 for buttons and 7 or so inputs for axis.

PS: I've been using WinUAE for the best part of 20 years (or however long it has been since it was created)!

Last edited by Pipmick; 12 October 2019 at 12:56.
Old 20 October 2019, 07:31   #5
ransom1122

Can anyone help out with above ?
Old 20 October 2019, 16:13   #6
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

What was the question?

Input config isn't designed to be transferable because I can't see how it would work without all kinds of weird side-effects if game controller is different (number of buttons etc). Also what if config has multiple custom configs and target system has only 1 totally different game controller? And so on.

Working ideas are accepted
Old 22 October 2019, 12:12   #7
Pipmick

I suppose this wasn't really a question - it was more about my findings about mapping controls for my Xbox 360 pad and then trying them out using a different controller like my PS3 pad. The custom game port controls did work with my PS3 pad without a hitch (which was great), but the custom controls added using the 'Input' tab did not work. When you take a detailed look at the .uae file, that's not surprising as the specific pad's device ID is linked to those custom controls. It's also not surprising really when they are specific to the controller they were originally mapped with, so it was just an experiment to see what would be transferrable and what would not be. I have worked out what is achievable with transferrable controls with .uae files now, which is useful to me and my goals.
Old 24 October 2019, 21:51   #8
sonninnos
Commodork

And related to that I've noticed a mildly annoying thing with wireless controllers:

If there is a custom mapping saved for a controller, and when loading that config with the controller powered off, the friendlyname and name rows will be removed when saving. So using the same config later on with the wireless controller powered on will not work anymore.

But luckily the actual mapping rows will stay intact, so it is pretty easy to salvage. Keeping config backups is a good move.

And this is with 4.1.0. Sorry for not updating yet and if it does not apply anymore.