English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Support > support.WinUAE

Old 16 April 2019, 14:05   #1
cloverskull

WinUAE in Remote Desktop VM

Hey Toni,

I've been able to get WinUAE to work in a remote desktop environment on windows 10 in a cloud VM. I had to use a command line switch to get it to work (can't remember what it was but can find it if needed, it was something you suggested a while back).

I notice that mouse behavior is very strange. Mouse gravitates toward edge of WinUAE screen and is very sensitive.

Also, my intent was to run a telnet service, but I find that WinUAE keeps crashing without cause while left to run. Are there log files I can provide?

Optionally I'll gladly set up a VM environment for testing and share the remote desktop credentials with you if you think that would help.

Thanks!
Old 16 April 2019, 17:43   #2
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

1: Enable virtual mouse driver (game ports panel).
2: Apparently Windows kills some types of foreground program(s) some time after remote connection is closed. There is some option to disable this annoying behavior. I remember this was being discussed in some other thread in this forum.
Old 16 April 2019, 18:24   #3
cloverskull

Thanks, that fixed the mouse issue. Not having much luck fixing the issue of WinUAE crashing, sadly. Interestingly enough, even if I don't close the RDP session but move to a different screen temporarily and then back, it crashes. Not sure what's happening.
Old 16 April 2019, 18:59   #4
AMIGASYSTEM

After a flight test and Remote Desktop works well on WinUAE.

Last edited by AMIGASYSTEM; 20 April 2019 at 10:55.
Old 16 April 2019, 19:15   #5
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloverskull View Post
Thanks, that fixed the mouse issue. Not having much luck fixing the issue of WinUAE crashing, sadly. Interestingly enough, even if I don't close the RDP session but move to a different screen temporarily and then back, it crashes. Not sure what's happening.
You should get crash dump file (unless you have disabled windows error reporting completely).

Run also with log window open ("winuae.exe -log"), it hopefully shows some extra information.
Old 16 April 2019, 20:09   #6
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:

i'm running winuae on a cloud server and it mostly works fine. I have experienced a few crashes now and then but usually after a few weeks of uptime. since Toni helped me getting the mouse working i've had minimal issues.
Old 17 April 2019, 05:12   #7
cloverskull

Running winuae -log doesn’t provide any additional details. It’s very odd :/ Also there’s no crash dump file. I looked into the windows event viewer and it also just reports that winuae.exe crashed but provides no further details. Very puzzling.

I tried FS-UAE to see if it has the same problem and it seems more resilient. I’ll continue to investigate.

Phantasm, what version of WinUAE are you using?
Old 17 April 2019, 10:31   #8
Phantasm
Not a Rebel anymore

Quote:
Running winuae -log doesn’t provide any additional details. It’s very odd :/ Also there’s no crash dump file. I looked into the windows event viewer and it also just reports that winuae.exe crashed but provides no further details. Very puzzling.

I tried FS-UAE to see if it has the same problem and it seems more resilient. I’ll continue to investigate.

Phantasm, what version of WinUAE are you using?
I'm running 4.2.0 strangely i'm running two copies of winuae on my server at the same time and only 1 of them seems to crash. The configurations are pretty much identical (wouldnt like to swear that they are 100% identical) so i kinda put it down to whats running on them thats causing the issue. I don't get any useful info from the logs either. I am currently running without JIT on the one that crashes to see if that makes any difference.
Old 17 April 2019, 17:30   #9
cloverskull

I tried with JIT on and off and it didn't seem to make a difference. Incidentally, using FS-UAE on the same exact hdf with same hardware config seems to work (and persist) just fine, so not sure what might be happening there. *shrug*
Old 17 April 2019, 17:37   #10
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

FS-UAE uses totally different methods for input, sound and audio so it does not really mean anything.

You can try using DirectDraw mode (Misc panel) because D3D9/11 may not work very well when using RDP and VMs.
Old 21 December 2020, 14:14   #11
tyrel

hello all,

is there any new information on how to get winuae running in a vm with rdp. So far I have been unsuccessful. When virtuall mouse drive is enabled, winuae crashes. D3D9/11 and DirektDraw have no effect.

Perhaps someone would be so kind and send me a configuration file (WINUAE / FS_UAE).

Thanks
Thomas

Last edited by tyrel; 21 December 2020 at 14:57.
Old 21 December 2020, 19:54   #12
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrel View Post
hello all,

is there any new information on how to get winuae running in a vm with rdp. So far I have been unsuccessful. When virtuall mouse drive is enabled, winuae crashes. D3D9/11 and DirektDraw have no effect.

Perhaps someone would be so kind and send me a configuration file (WINUAE / FS_UAE).

Thanks
Thomas
Does it generate crash dump file? (winuae_?????.dmp? ??? = datestamp). If it does, attach or email it (if it is huge, reduce amount of RAM in your config as minimal as possible).
Old 22 December 2020, 09:17   #13
tyrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Wilen View Post
Does it generate crash dump file? (winuae_?????.dmp? ??? = datestamp). If it does, attach or email it (if it is huge, reduce amount of RAM in your config as minimal as possible).

I have attached the file.
Thanks
Thomas
Attached Files
File Type: dmp winuae_4.4.0_R_2020.12.22_09.13.45.dmp (121.2 KB, 121 views)
Old 22 December 2020, 19:16   #14
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyrel View Post
I have attached the file.
Thanks. Out of array access when converting mouse y coordinate. Not sure if there is some other bug that causes the value but I added range check.

Does https://download.abime.net/winuae/files/b/winuae.7z fix the crash? (don't attach dump if it crashes, it is useless unless it is official beta or final)
Old 27 December 2020, 12:59   #15
tyrel

Quote:
Thanks. Out of array access when converting mouse y coordinate. Not sure if there is some other bug that causes the value but I added range check.

Does https://download.abime.net/winuae/files/b/winuae.7z fix the crash? (don't attach dump if it crashes, it is useless unless it is official beta or final)

Thank you very much . This beta version works great for me. I did a first test this morning. There was no crash and I was able to control an A500 via RDP without any problems.
I will do further tests in the netx few days and report back.

2020-12-29:
Also my OS4.1 installation works great via RDP with this Beta.

Last edited by tyrel; 29 December 2020 at 10:02.
Old 28 November 2021, 10:51   #16
DesktopDynamite

Hello all, I have tried 2x PC and smartphone using Teamviewer. The cursor moves fine after enabling "install virtual mouse driver". The only issue I have is that left / click does not work. Magic mouse cursor mode is set to show both cursors.

What about the tablet.library emulation? It is always greyed out, even when launching WinUAE [v4.4.0 2020.07.01].
Old 30 November 2021, 18:43   #17
Toni Wilen
WinUAE developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesktopDynamite View Post
Hello all, I have tried 2x PC and smartphone using Teamviewer. The cursor moves fine after enabling "install virtual mouse driver". The only issue I have is that left / click does not work. Magic mouse cursor mode is set to show both cursors.
Try switching select mouse in port 1 (windows mouse vs hid compliant mouse or similar)

Quote:
What about the tablet.library emulation? It is always greyed out, even when launching WinUAE [v4.4.0 2020.07.01].
It requires real tablet or touch screen.
Old 23 May 2022, 08:38   #18
DesktopDynamite

[QUOTE=Toni Wilen;1519621]Try switching select mouse in port 1 (windows mouse vs hid compliant mouse or similar)

Hi Toni,

Tried as you mentioned, unfortunately still does not work..
Old 23 May 2022, 08:47   #19
DesktopDynamite

[QUOTE=DesktopDynamite;1546666]
Quote:
Try switching select mouse in port 1 (windows mouse vs hid compliant mouse or similar)

Hi Toni,

Tried as you mentioned, unfortunately still does not work..
I also have changed interaction method from Teamviewer
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tv.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	75629