English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Off Topic > OT - Entertainment

Old 19 February 2019, 19:16   #1
pubzombie

General TV / Series / Documentary discussions

Not a movie - but i'm loving it. The Expanse. Space as i always imagined it. I never read the books but the series if fantastic. reminds me of the games of traveler and star frontiers we used to have back in the day.
Old 21 February 2019, 16:57   #2
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Not a movie either although the title would imply otherwise: That Sugar Film. Food and health are controversial topics that only lead to angry exchanges between "Fat is bad" VS "Sugar is bad" VS "Meat is bad" VS "Whatever, we're all going to die, yolo". No. A pointless discussion to hold online, so we're not going to do that.

Suffice it to say: This is highly recommended, besides entertainment value, if you want to get some motivation to cut some sugar from your diet. Because step 1: learn what sugar is and how it affects you. Or to be more precise: what sugars are and how some affect you more than others. No matter your stance on where fat livers, fat guts, diabetes and clogged arteries are coming from, nobody can deny that this is a valuable thing to know. This movie lays it out for you in a fun and easy to understand way while not watering it down.

The premise of the movie: For 60 days a really healthy Australian man, athletic, young and thriving and who has already willingly cut added sugars from his diet for several years, will subject himself to a government recommended diet. As in: no soda, no cookies, no ice cream, no sweets, no pies, no cheating of any kind. He will eat normal food that most people eat daily and consider to be healthy, following the usual recommendation of low fat products. There is a hard limit imposed: no more than 40 tea spoons** of added sugar in a day. Which is a ludicrously high upper limit for which you need to eat insane amounts of junk in order to ingest it, right?

The end result is a sight to behold. But the journey along the way is too. Progress is intermixed with tidbits about sugar and how it affects the body, presented in a comical way. It's all very child-friendly.

No score since it's a documentary about a controversial topic, but I give it two thumbs up nonetheless.

** A note on that: what this person calls a tea spoon, I call a table spoon. You mileage may vary.
Old 21 February 2019, 18:14   #3
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pubzombie View Post
Not a movie - but i'm loving it. The Expanse. Space as i always imagined it. I never read the books but the series if fantastic. reminds me of the games of traveler and star frontiers we used to have back in the day.
I've seen only 1st season, and that was good.Will have to find time to see it, once I'm up to date with The Orville. Now, that is kind of space I've had always imagined...

And to keep it going, last thing I watched is not movie either, more like documentary sold as movie - Religious (2008). It is just incredible look at religion, usa, politics and issues. 9/10

Last edited by Anubis; 22 February 2019 at 19:54.
Old 27 February 2019, 19:51   #4
Devo

Couldn't find a TV thread so I'm posting this here. Guys, you have to get the DVD boxed set of the Boris Karloff hosted series Thriller (1961-62). After that awkward first half of season one which should be avoided because it was nothing more than a sub-Alfred Hitchcock Presents derivative, it turned into this brilliant, dark and creepy horror-supernatural-ruthless-crime-drama anthology series that was BETTER than the rather tame The Alfred Hitchcock Hour which was running directly opposite it in 1962. The episode starring Richard Carlson as a narcissistic coverup-murderer father transferring all his creepy, doting affection to his teenage son is one of the most alarming things I've watched in the genre, And the follow-up episode Man Of Mystery with a young Mary Tyler Moore is so monstrous in its denouement that even Hitchcock at his most cynical wouldn't touch it (except for An Unlocked Window, which is one of the seminal, all-time most haunting and disturbing things that television has ever produced). The supernatural episodes tended to be first rate too with Robert Bloch and Charles Beaumont at the top of their forms. Watch it.
Old 27 February 2019, 22:25   #5
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devo View Post
Couldn't find a TV thread so I'm posting this here.
Well let's fix that; new thread created
Old 27 February 2019, 23:34   #6
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Well recreated more like, the previous version was the last victim of the insatiable autoprune monster
Old 28 February 2019, 04:31   #7
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Are you calling DD a monster?

Fair...

Now my post is 50-50 off topic...
Old 28 February 2019, 12:25   #8
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Well recreated more like, the previous version was the last victim of the insatiable autoprune monster
GMs / Mods can "undelete" delete threads but unfortunately we cannot bring back purged threads so...
Old 28 February 2019, 14:48   #9
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

You were right, gimbal - a monster!
Old 04 March 2019, 21:45   #10
pubzombie

Half way through season 3 of The Expanse now - truly epic. Don’t think I can wait till December for the next season will get the books.
Gave myself nightmares last night - I watched all of the TedBundy Tapes in one sitting. It’s on Netflix. If u like true crime stuff it’s great but truly disturbing
Old 06 March 2019, 19:27   #11
helipady

Who is waiting for the final season of Game of Thrones? I have a friend who is such a fan of this TV show that he bought property in Spain in Peniscola https://tranio.com/spain/valencia/peniscola/ where Meereen was filmed )))

Old 07 March 2019, 11:24   #12
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

Ehm... it's been too long ago, I've completely lost interest. I'm also quite skeptical how they are going to create any kind of interesting ending at this point, I have this feeling it's going to be Sopranos levels of disappointment.
Old 07 March 2019, 11:34   #13
Daedalus

I'm definitely looking forward to it, though I generally wait until it's out on Blu-Ray to watch it so I'll be a few months behind everyone else.

In other TV series news, I was very happy to see a second series of Fleabag has started on BBC. If anyone's not familiar with it, it's a dark comedy that started out as an award-winning, one-woman play at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival a few years back, eventually being adapted for TV and starring the playwright in the lead role. It involves a lot of the main character breaking the fourth wall to tell you her inner thoughts, and it works very well in this show where it tends to put me off others. Just the right level of cringe and empathy for me. You should be able to get it on the BBC iPlayer, and I think Amazon Prime have it too.

It was most excellent, and I'm really looking forward to the new series!
Old 07 March 2019, 14:03   #14
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Finally some good $hit coming to TV...

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 08 March 2019, 00:33   #15
pubzombie

Anybody watched True Detective ? I've just finished season one. Very dark and absolutely fantastic. Couldn't stop watching it. Really recommend it if you like hard boiled detective type characters but with a really unusual twist.
Old 15 March 2019, 19:41   #16
Anubis
Maj. Voodoo

Project Blue Book - TV series follows life and work of Dr. Allen Hynek (played by Aidan Gillen) - based on his book and project that is declassified now, where US Air Force was collecting all information on UFO sightings and trying to explain them with scientifically and/or create cover for tests/experiments.

Hynek was part of 3 different UFO research projects under US AirForce (Sign, Grudge and Blue Book) and went from UFO skeptic to ufologist. Some links to read...

https://www.history.com/shows/project-blue-book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Allen_Hynek

https://www.archives.gov/research/mi...orce/ufos.html
Old 15 March 2019, 21:22   #17
pubzombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anubis View Post
Project Blue Book - TV series follows life and work of Dr. Allen Hynek (played by Aidan Gillen) - based on his book and project that is declassified now, where US Air Force was collecting all information on UFO sightings and trying to explain them with scientifically and/or create cover for tests/experiments.

Hynek was part of 3 different UFO research projects under US AirForce (Sign, Grudge and Blue Book) and went from UFO skeptic to ufologist. Some links to read...

https://www.history.com/shows/project-blue-book

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Allen_Hynek

https://www.archives.gov/research/mi...orce/ufos.html
Ooohhh thank u. I love ufo stuff. My weekend viewing sorted.
Just watched the movie\documentary Above Majestic - absolutely utterly crazy. You don't need to believe a word of it to find the psychology behind it truly engrossing.
Old 07 May 2019, 18:28   #18
gimbal
cheeky scoundrel

No opinions yet on GoT season 8?

I'm watching it because I was getting sick and tired of having to dodge all the spoilers online and among coworkers.

So far:

Episode 1: Yawn
Episode 2: Yawn - uh oh, it's starting.
Episode 3: Holy moley. 8 seasons of build up, one insane episode settles it
Episode 4: Jon Snow is a stupid asshole. Dany needs to fail in her mission. Jaime needs to be locked in a room with the Mountain. Varys needs to just go away and never come back. Bran is probably the best example of how they're just rushing to finish this show up, what a pointless and dull character.

There are few people left that I actually want to see get out on top at this point now that the writing has made a turn for the worst in this season. Who should win the Game of Thrones? IMO: Tyrion + Sansa.
Old 07 May 2019, 21:28   #19
DamienD
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gimbal View Post
Episode 3: Holy moley. 8 seasons of build up, one insane episode settles it
...if you could see anything; some scenes were so dark.

Anyway, a good battle none the less
Old 08 May 2019, 02:55   #20
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

While i enjoyed episode 3 from GoT it was real mess. Not only it was too dark, the cuts were fast and the shaky camera annoyed me. Some scenes of the plot, especially the war tactics, were plain dumb. Anyway, let's see who kills who in the last 2 episodes.