English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Retrogaming General Discussion

Old 24 November 2018, 12:18   #41
touko

I prefer for exemple the amiga version of super hang on and golden axe over his megadrive counterpart .

But in general we can thanks usgold so much for his shitty arcade conversions .
Old 25 November 2018, 17:33   #42
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

Today's port comparison - Micro Machines!

[ Show youtube player ]

Probably the closest of the bunch so far.
Old 25 November 2018, 18:10   #43
DanyPPC

I think Megadrive version uses a 256 x 224 pixel screen.
Old 27 November 2018, 19:13   #44
boatofcar
Host of Amigos Podcast

This one I expect to be contentious - SimCity. I am a bit biased because I grew up playing the SNES version, but I can see how some might prefer the lack of "filler" content the SNES version has.

[ Show youtube player ]
Old 03 December 2018, 20:36   #45
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Micro Machines on SNES is awful. Both Amiga and MD versions are much better.

Regarding The Addams Family... I really would love if someone could find the coders for it and ask what the heck happened with the Amiga version. Someone here on EAB found out the background gfx ARE THERE and they are covered by a black tile everywhere. It seems he actually managed to make the background appears on some screens by tinkering with the source code, but this also screwed with sprites priorities... and then no more info about this.

I really enjoyed the Amiga version of The Addams Family up until I got to play the SNES version. And the major problem with me it's not the lack of background GFX... not even the missing power ups (which *is* annoying) but the framerate of enemies movement. Your own character and the scroll is always at 50 fps, but the enemies move in a very jerky way, and it gets worse when the screen gets cluttered, some sections are made a lot harder because of this.

The SNES version of course is butter smooth the whole time... so this makes it a much better game overall. (It was also the "original" version, with the Amiga and Mega Drive versions being ports)
Old 04 December 2018, 11:17   #46
sokolovic

In this magazine : http://amr.abime.net/review_18239

lead coder of the Amiga say some things about the Amiga backgrounds. At this time, the parallaxe was supposed to be here.
Old 04 December 2018, 14:21   #47
Shatterhand
Warhasneverbeensomuchfun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokolovic View Post
In this magazine : http://amr.abime.net/review_18239

lead coder of the Amiga say some things about the Amiga backgrounds. At this time, the parallaxe was supposed to be here.
I've read this interview before and it just adds to the mystery to be quite honest.
Old 04 December 2018, 16:11   #48
sokolovic

Yeah same thing for me. The fact is speaking twice about the parallaxe, seems they have pretty difficulties to try to implement it.

I don't know either if the pictures are from the Amiga version. I think they don't, since they're saying that the game isn't very advanced.
Old 29 April 2019, 12:36   #49
haynor666
retro maniac

For a comparison I would like to see:
Puggsy (I own Mega CD version and it looks better and has more levels)
Wolfchild (I didn't get to deep on amiga version but Mega CD version has some serious changes and more levels though I still didn't finished yet)
Flink (almost finished CD32 version long time ago, now it's time for Mega CD version), Chuck Rock (recently finished on Mega CD, sadly I barely played on amiga)
Chuck Rock II (planning on Mega CD, slighlty better colours as I see but does it have more levels and/or better graphics?)
Aladdin (more levels on Megadrive, more stuff?)
Battle Squadron (slightly bigger play area but sound is worse on Megadrive)
Jaguar XJ220 (I've almost finished amiga version long time, played Mega CD version once, is it better?)
Shadow of the Beast II (even Mega CD is different to Megadrive version which is odd)
WonderDog (how much amiga version is stripped vs Mega CD?)
Fantastic Dizzy (bigger play area in PC/Megadrive ports but does it add something else?)
Global Gladiators (better background and a bit smother gameplay but worse sounds, anything else?)
Zool/Zool 2 (those two are really interest me right as I'm going to finish both parts after I left those many years ago)
Bubble And Squeak (I didn't like aspect ratio on Megadrive version)
Chaos Engine (finished only amiga version but judging from screens all other port are without new stuff or even better graphics)
James Pond II (interesting here is PS1 port while Megadrive port looks not too promising)
Jim Power (two different edtion and many port, comparison would be interesting)
Lost Vikings (finished on amiga but does SNES version has to more than better graphics?)
Risky Woods (?)
Skeleton Krew (looks it has some graphics degradation in megadrive version)
Syndicate (many ports including console but PC version rules)
Turrican serie (including akward Universal Soldiers port and fantastic Mega Turrican)
Wiz'n'Liz (leved amiga version but does megadrive version has something to offer?)
Leander (better control, better graphics and music together with sfx on megadrive, some graphics changes as well but it have better/more levels?)

Last edited by haynor666; 29 April 2019 at 15:42.
Old 29 April 2019, 13:06   #50
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
Originally Posted by haynor666 View Post
Whaaaaaat?
One of my favorite games ever is better on a Megadrive?
Old 29 April 2019, 13:13   #51
lordofchaos
TinkerTailorContentMaker

Quote:
For a comparison I would like to see:
Puggsy (I own Mega CD version and it looks better and has more levels)
Wolfchild (I didn't get to deep on amiga version but Mega CD version has some serious changes and more levels though I still didn't finished yet)
Flink (almost finished CD32 version long time ago, now it's time for Mega CD version), Chuck Rock (recently finished on Mega CD, sadly I barely played on amiga)
Chuck Rock II (planning on Mega CD, slighlty better colours as I see but does it have more levels and/or better graphics?)
Battle Squadron (slightly bigger play area but sound is worse on Megadrive)
Jaguar XJ220 (I've almost finished amiga version long time, played Mega CD version once, is it better?)
Shadow of the Beast II (even Mega CD is different to Megadrive version which is odd)
WonderDog (how much amiga version is stripped vs Mega CD?)
Fantastic Dizzy (bigger play area in PC/Megadrive ports but does it add something else?)
Global Gladiators (better background and a bit smother gameplay but worse sounds, anything else?)
Zool/Zool 2 (those two are really interest me right as I'm going to finish both parts after I left those many years ago)
Bubble And Squeak (I didn't like aspect ratio on Megadrive version)
Chaos Engine (finished only amiga version but judging from screens all other port are without new stuff or even better graphics)
James Pond II (interesting here is PS1 port while Megadrive port looks not too promising)
Jim Power (two different edtion and many port, comparison would be interesting)
Lost Vikings (finished on amiga but does SNES version has to more than better graphics?)
Risky Woods (?)
Skeleton Krew (looks it has some graphics degradation in megadrive version)
Syndicate (many ports including console but PC version rules)
Turrican serie (including akward Universal Soldiers port and fantastic Mega Turrican)
Wiz'n'Liz (leved amiga version but does megadrive version has something to offer?)
Have a few comparisons on my channel for some of these.

Chaos Engine / [ Show youtube player ]
Aladdin / [ Show youtube player ]
Turrican 3 / [ Show youtube player ]
Old 29 April 2019, 13:22   #52
roondar

I'd like to offer the various Lemmings games as an idea to cover for this series. I'd be especially interested in how well the controls used on the consoles work, but comparing graphics and sound would also be nice.
Old 29 April 2019, 15:41   #53
haynor666
retro maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
Whaaaaaat?
One of my favorite games ever is better on a Megadrive?
One thing is remember is "death" animation which is missing in amiga version. Some of graphics are a bit better. Generally nothing too serious.

More changes that I've just found - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/aladdin-sega-virgin/

Quote:
Chaos Engine / [ Show youtube player ]
Aladdin / [ Show youtube player ]
Turrican 3 / [ Show youtube player ]
IMO would be nice to see comparison from beginning to the end of game (right now I have to watch walkthrough for many platforms as separate movies) pointing changes ie. graphics, levels design changes, new/removed levels.

Chaos Engine is probably identical on both platforms. Turrican 3 lacks background graphics are has worse control due lack of 3 buttons, I don't know if they something changed for the worse in amiga port besides this.
Old 29 April 2019, 15:45   #54
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Aladdin runs smooth in 60 fps on the Mega Drive. Amiga version is 25fps, sometimes even less.
Old 29 April 2019, 15:48   #55
Predseda
Puttymoon inhabitant

Send a message via ICQ to Predseda
Quote:
Turrican 3 lacks background graphics are has worse control due lack of 3 buttons, I don't know if they something changed for the worse in amiga port besides this.

I prefer Amiga 1button style rope controls, is more comfortable and precise for me (I only have one thumb on my right hand ). Megadrive version is harder than Amiga one, enemies are more tough. There is not the Golden armor in MD version, but the game is more colourful. Beside this both versions are almost identical.
Old 29 April 2019, 15:57   #56
Retro-Nerd
Missile Command Champion

Mega Turrican feels a lot smoother, gameplay-wise. It's more polished. And yes, the 3-button (even 4 buttons if you use a 6-button controller) controls is much better. The plasma rope is awful to control, even with a 2-button stick/pad on the Amiga. The CD32 version from Earok supports the CD32 pad and makes it the best version for the Amiga.
Old 29 April 2019, 16:18   #57
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Quote:
One thing is remember is "death" animation which is missing in amiga version. Some of graphics are a bit better. Generally nothing too serious.

More changes that I've just found - http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/aladdin-sega-virgin/
In the Amiga version Aladdin wobbles and collapses onto a chair. What is the death animation on Sega? Or do you mean something else...

I took a look at the comparison video. Wow, the Sega version really is super smooth. And with more screen real estate to boot. That's nothing to sneeze at. But the music is horrible! I don't think I would be able to play the game full of fart music and sounds having previously heard the Amiga version. Despite the huge and obvious difference in frame rate.
Old 29 April 2019, 17:25   #58
roondar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Aladdin runs smooth in 60 fps on the Mega Drive. Amiga version is 25fps, sometimes even less.
The Mega Drive version of Aladdin you actually got to play runs at 50Hz, not 60Hz. Unless you're from the USA, in which case Aladdin on the Amiga would've run at 30Hz

(My point being that comparing NTSC games vs PAL games is not quite fair, not that Aladdin on the Amiga performs better than it does).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retro-Nerd View Post
Mega Turrican feels a lot smoother, gameplay-wise. It's more polished. And yes, the 3-button (even 4 buttons if you use a 6-button controller) controls is much better. The plasma rope is awful to control, even with a 2-button stick/pad on the Amiga. The CD32 version from Earok supports the CD32 pad and makes it the best version for the Amiga.
IIRC, the Amiga version of Turrican 3 runs at full frame rate (i.e. 50Hz). It can't get any smoother. Unless you're comparing the NTSC Genesis version vs the PAL Amiga one. Which would, once again, not exactly be fair.

Other than that, Mega Turrican is indeed the better game of the two. It's very clearly designed to be a console game with the Amiga port being an after thought. I still think it's a bit of a pitty they changed the gameplay so much between parts 2 and 3. Personally, I like Turrican I & II way better than any of the Mega Drive/SNES versions (not enough focus on exploration, too much plain run and gun).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Aga View Post
I took a look at the comparison video. Wow, the Sega version really is super smooth. And with more screen real estate to boot. That's nothing to sneeze at. But the music is horrible! I don't think I would be able to play the game full of fart music and sounds having previously heard the Amiga version. Despite the huge and obvious difference in frame rate.
Do note that is a 60Hz video, which will make the frame rate of the Amiga seem even worse than it actually is as 25 can't be divided by 60 (which causes additional stuttering etc). Which doesn't change that the Mega Drive version is obviously way smoother, but it's worth keeping in mind.
Old 29 April 2019, 17:27   #59
haynor666
retro maniac

On megadrive Aladdin also colapses on chair but with assist of parrot and genie. Animation is longer and have sound. "missing" was wrong word, rather shortened.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Disney's Aladdin (U) [!]-0003.png
Views:	41
Size:	2.9 KB
ID:	62940  

Last edited by haynor666; 29 April 2019 at 17:45.
Old 29 April 2019, 17:50   #60
Lord Aga
MI clan prevails

Aha, I got it now. Or 'crippled'