English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Amiga scene

Old 14 December 2018, 22:32   #61
Gzegzolka

It looks great in move.
Old 31 December 2018, 00:37   #62
invent
pixels

Hello everyone, hope you had a great xmas.

I have a quick question in regards to copper colour changes. Is there a particular efficiency in the use of copper colouring? eg change colour every 8/16 pixels. Is there a point where too much copper changes slow down the system, remembering that this copper scrolls and is not a static background.

I looked at codetappers "Agony" reference http://codetapper.com/amiga/sprite-tricks/agony/ and it seems colour changes are every 10 pixels (except for a 2 pixel midscreen area)

I decided to create a quick test here: https://www.patreon.com/posts/secret-project-23588841

If you look at this example, the mid-ground parallax is 4 colours. I plan to colourise various parts but not at the expense of slowdown.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2018-12-31 09.24.44.png
Views:	276
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	61384  

Last edited by invent; 31 December 2018 at 00:38. Reason: refining text :)
Old 01 January 2019, 18:20   #63
Lazycow

Each copper command needs a little bit of chipmem bandwidth, but the position of the command is irrelevant. Lot's of Amiga games change colors with the copper and you should not expect any significant slowdown.
(And I like your use of background sprite(?) color splits)
Old 02 January 2019, 06:54   #64
invent
pixels

Thanks Lazycow, appreciate the feedback
Old 14 October 2019, 22:03   #65
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulture View Post
Anybody mentioned Reshoot Proxima III yet?
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
[ Show youtube player ]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aladin View Post
For Reshoot Proxima 3, it's a new game or it's Proxima 3 Red Dwarf Star?

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=89382
Quote:
Originally Posted by spudje View Post
One and the same, just a rebrand, and still in development
Hmmm, I'm not sure what I think of this now given the above videos.

Looked absolutely amazing, lush, colourful previously on invent's blog and from the various screenshots in this thread; a great example here. The beautiful pixel art / colours really shone through!!!

Now for some reason; not sure if it's due to using the "Reshoot" engine or not; but it's a totally different game and looks washed out, dull, lifeless in my own opinion; and as a result, has lost it's previous original arcade character / charm

Massive step backwards in the wrong direction...

...not trying to cause offense / upset anyone; just giving my honest opinion

I thought sandruzzo was handling the code side of things invent?

Last edited by DamienD; 14 October 2019 at 22:50.
Old 14 October 2019, 23:19   #66
Gzegzolka

I also do not understood why merge Proxima and Reshoot. I find it strange and dislike results. But it is not a hate, if that is a choice of Proxima author I will respect it.
Old 15 October 2019, 00:10   #67
saimon69
J.M.D - Bedroom Musician

Hmm, that is the Bone Valley level (am used to call it boneyard) and since is a kind of HUGE dead animal carcass that is why looks washed out; would love however to see other levels;
Old 15 October 2019, 00:17   #68
DamienD
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gzegzolka View Post
But it is not a hate, if that is a choice of Proxima author I will respect it.
Of course it's Kevin's choice; and I respect that.

...but I'm also allowed to give my honest opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by saimon69 View Post
Hmm, that is the Bone Valley level (am used to call it boneyard) and since is a kind of HUGE dead animal carcass that is why looks washed out; would love however to see other levels;
Compare with the original "Bone Valley" level in this screenshot below... which as already said, looks absolutely amazing / lush / colourful (as do all 6 levels)

Last edited by DamienD; 17 October 2019 at 16:55.
Old 15 October 2019, 00:41   #69
Amigajay

Correct me if i’m wrong but i think these are just all tests atm and he’s probably using placeholder graphics from his Reshoot games to help test certain things, i’m sure Invent did all the pixelart for it (as per the link above) and brought Richard onboard to code the thing, so i wouldn’t worry too much atm until we know more about which way the presentation is heading.

I’m personally impressed with the speed and bullet increase over Reshoot-R, which already takes it to another level, and i do prefer vertical shoot-em-ups over horizontal ones so this is one to watch, along with that other vertical SEU in development atm
Old 15 October 2019, 02:31   #70
invent
pixels

Hey Everyone, was just about to post an update now that Amiga34 is over. I wanted Richard to show off the demo at Amiga34 before posting an update.

Please note that these are early tech videos, the final version will change over time.

For quickness I have copied/pasted my Patreon info:

"I can officially say that Richard Lowenstein and myself are working a 3rd shooter to be released in 2020. Richard will be showing off an early demo at Amiga34. We are using most of the assets from ProXima III - Red Dwarf Star, A game that stalled some time ago. Some older assets you will see are here (Before I started a Patreon site)
http://amigaonex.blogspot.com/search...20Dwarf%20Star
This is very exciting news and I have been very keen on letting people know that Richard and I are working together. Expect a few updates in the next few days/weeks. Hope you all are well and thankyou for supporting me."

The merge/hybrid version of ReshootR and ProXima III to me makes sense, time is incredibly precious these days (work/family/life - Iridium Shooter) and as i have a ton worth of ProXima graphics this is what we are using. Richard and I wanted to work together again and from our discussions a few months back this is what we are working on now

We will always listen to everyone's feedback so we can make this game the best that it can be.
Old 15 October 2019, 08:30   #71
vulture

@invent

I absolutely love Reshoot-R's engine, having said that, DamienD is right by noticing that color fidelity seems to be reduced compared to the original Proxima III screens. Any chance this is improved for the final product or is this a limitation of the engine?
Thx!
Old 15 October 2019, 09:03   #72
spudje

I agree, the original Proxima 3 screens looked better IMO.
Old 15 October 2019, 12:35   #73
invent
pixels

Thanks Vulture and Spudje. It is too early to say how the final game will look but your feedback is noted and I will chat to Richard about it. We possibly will be experimenting further.

At the moment I am finalising the player ship design which brings feedback people want (eg real ship) but also is a continuation of ReshootR as in it has changing colours to represent the power of the weapons.

At the moment the demo has 3 layers of parallax and each one needs tweaking
Old 21 October 2019, 02:13   #74
buzzybee

Hi guys! So glad to work with Kevin on another shmup project!

@Kevin, I´d propose to open a new thread about "RESHOOT PROXIMA III". Would you mind?

@all, regarding colors: The videos linked here show the very first engine tests. It´s kind of waste of time to discuss color issues at this stage of development ... believe me, RESHOOT PROXIMA III will look just as beautiful as RESHOOT R, if not better!
Old 21 October 2019, 02:22   #75
invent
pixels

Good idea Richard
Old 21 October 2019, 10:07   #76
roondar

I love the (semi) transparent cloud layer in the videos shown so far. Looks very impressive
Old 21 October 2019, 10:15   #77
vulture

Yup, better than Reshoot-R's even, no pink edges there
Old 21 October 2019, 12:15   #78
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

I, for one, am happy that Richard will work with Kevins brilliant assets from now on, since it seems there was nothing happening with them anymore.
But I have to admit, that me as well thought that game would look very different, and I would be sad to see those brilliant graphics Kevin did being obscured by miasma and transparency effects all the time..

One other thing that feels completely different now to me is the function of the graphics themselves.
In the concept screens, those foreground elements seemed to be solid, means, you'd get crashed if you flied against them.

In this demo, these same elements seem to be just a backdrop, with the player being able to navigate around the whole screen almost all the time.

Which feels very different to what I imagined this game to be when I saw those concept screens...

Anyway, happy to see there is some progress on this game...
Old 21 October 2019, 12:41   #79
vulture

By the looks of it, I get the impression that the player's ship will crash on contact with the scenery, but it's just not implemented yet.
Old 21 October 2019, 13:38   #80
Tigerskunk
Inviyya Dude!

How would you avoid crashing into this then?

(I know, this is only a show off demo, and not an indication how the final game will behave. I just wonder what's the direction here.. )
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bildschirmfoto 2019-10-21 um 13.37.01.png
Views:	340
Size:	281.6 KB
ID:	64854