English Amiga Board

Go Back   English Amiga Board > Main > Nostalgia & memories

Old 07 October 2019, 20:24   #2341
nogginthenog
Amigan

Do any Amiga graphics cards support native widescreen resolutions? I'm especially thinking about older VGA cards like the CyberVisions PIV etc.
Old 08 October 2019, 00:16   #2342
idrougge

The ZZ9000 certainly does.
I don't see why the older cards wouldn't, considering that they are totally programmable.
Old 08 October 2019, 10:51   #2343
Daedalus

It's just a matter of using P96Mode to create new video modes with the required parameters. Bear in mind though that the overall resolution will be limited by the pixel clock of the card - the Picasso IV for example can do 1600x1200, but only interlaced. That's roughly the same number of pixels as 1920x1080 widescreen, so that should be doable provided the display can deal with an interlaced signal. If not, 1280x1024 (around 1.3 megapixels) is plenty to do 1280x720 or 1366x768.
Old 08 October 2019, 10:54   #2344
Locutus

My CV64 outputs 1280x720 fine.
Old 09 October 2019, 01:46   #2345
E-Penguin
Banana

Sorting icons in WB in alphabetical order. There must be a way, right? Window->Cleanup seems to put them in whatever random order it likes.
Old 09 October 2019, 11:47   #2346
Daedalus

In Workbench 3.5, 3.9, 3.1.4 and 4 you can sort by name in the Window->Cleanup menu. On older versions you can only do it using the text method by using the View As menu item.
Old 09 October 2019, 22:52   #2347
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daedalus View Post
It's just a matter of using P96Mode to create new video modes with the required parameters.
Thanks. I'll give a try when I get back from Amiga34
Old 09 October 2019, 23:28   #2348
thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Penguin View Post
Sorting icons in WB in alphabetical order. There must be a way, right? Window->Cleanup seems to put them in whatever random order it likes.
In 3.1 and below you can use this sequence:

- window -> select all
- icon -> unsnapshot
- close window
- open window again
- window -> cleanup
- optionally window -> select all and icon -> snapshot to keep the sequence
Old 09 October 2019, 23:35   #2349
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
Thanks. I'll give a try when I get back from Amiga34
The great thing about P96, you can do all sorts of weird resolutions, as long as your monitor supports it.

For the Vampire / CoffinOS I had to create a 304x224 resolution so the gngeo emulator would work.
Old 10 October 2019, 00:09   #2350
nogginthenog
Amigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaapliedje View Post
The great thing about P96, you can do all sorts of weird resolutions, as long as your monitor supports it.
I'm a CyberGraphics guy until recently. Missing the screen dragging and trying to get used to the OS3.1.4 'windows outside the screen'
Old 10 October 2019, 00:31   #2351
slaapliedje

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogginthenog View Post
I'm a CyberGraphics guy until recently. Missing the screen dragging and trying to get used to the OS3.1.4 'windows outside the screen'

I need to set that up on my 3.1.4 system.

Also brings on my question I've been meaning to ask, is there a reason P96 kills screen dragging? With OS4.1 on my Voodoo, screen dragging works, but OS3.9+P96 it does not (and I kind of thought OS4.1 used Picasso anyhow?).

One thing I was hoping would still bee there in higher resolutions on the zz9000 was screen dragging, but I guess since it's using P96, it doesn't allow it.
Old 10 October 2019, 11:00   #2352
Daedalus

Yep, OS 4 uses P96 (although these days it's fully integrated into graphics.library etc.), but screen dragging, and dragging windows off screen, were both added specifically to OS4. Screen dragging was never supported under OS 3 P96.
Old 10 October 2019, 12:57   #2353
Nightshft

What's the difference between A600 blue and green keyboard membranes? They have different part numbers. Guess they are not compatible to each other? IIRC I read the green membrane is a little thinner.
Old 10 October 2019, 13:32   #2354
ajk

Blue membranes belong to keyboards manufactured by Samsung, green ones go with Mitsumi models. The basic operating principle is the same but the exact dimensions and shape are different.
Old 10 October 2019, 13:38   #2355
Daedalus

They're made by two different companies. The green membrane keyboards are Mitsumi, and feel like the majority of other Amiga keyboards that are also Mitsumi. The blue membrane keyboard is made by someone else (might be Samsung? Can't remember...), and feels much better, with better alignment of the key travel and a more reactive feel than the standard spongy, dull feel of the more common Mitsumi keyboards.

Indeed, they're not compatible, though replacement membranes are available for both. Given the choice I'd go with the blue membrane keyboard every time.
Old 10 October 2019, 17:46   #2356
slaapliedje

Quote:
Yep, OS 4 uses P96 (although these days it's fully integrated into graphics.library etc.), but screen dragging, and dragging windows off screen, were both added specifically to OS4. Screen dragging was never supported under OS 3 P96.
Cool, now that Jens owns it, wonder if we can get it added?
It's my only complaint really about it.

This is less embarrassing and more of a wtf, but why is it that my damn hard drives keep giving me checksum errors after I get everything set up the way I want :P It still makes it to workbench, but now I probably need to run diskdoctor? or is that only for floppies? (it's 3.1.4, so supposedly not the one that just trashes everything? Running FFS from 3.1.4 as well).
Old 10 October 2019, 17:53   #2357
idrougge

Did you set the maxtransfer correctly?
Old 10 October 2019, 17:55   #2358
Daedalus

I would expect there's a lot more involved in adding support to P96 - the core OS libraries (e.g. layers.library, intuition.library and graphics.library) might also need to be reworked for example, so don't hold your breath.

Checksum errors are a bit of a worry - they shouldn't be happening, but represent where data reading or writing has been unreliable. Modern storage devices tend to have their own error correction built in, so unless the storage device is defective, it's most likely a software issue. Are you sure the version of FFS you're using is the latest 3.1.4.1 one? Bear in mind there was an update recently to fix issues with the original 3.1.4 release. And you definitely have that version installed in the RDB? Are you soft-loading 3.1.4 or is it a physical ROM? MaxTransfer-related issues could potentially still crop up if the machine is initially booting under an older scsi.device.

The 3.1.4 DiskDoctor should be able to fix it (it's not just for floppies any more), but I'd make finding the original source of the corruption a priority.
Old 10 October 2019, 18:21   #2359
slaapliedje

Quote:
I would expect there's a lot more involved in adding support to P96 - the core OS libraries (e.g. layers.library, intuition.library and graphics.library) might also need to be reworked for example, so don't hold your breath.

Checksum errors are a bit of a worry - they shouldn't be happening, but represent where data reading or writing has been unreliable. Modern storage devices tend to have their own error correction built in, so unless the storage device is defective, it's most likely a software issue. Are you sure the version of FFS you're using is the latest 3.1.4.1 one? Bear in mind there was an update recently to fix issues with the original 3.1.4 release. And you definitely have that version installed in the RDB? Are you soft-loading 3.1.4 or is it a physical ROM? MaxTransfer-related issues could potentially still crop up if the machine is initially booting under an older scsi.device.

The 3.1.4 DiskDoctor should be able to fix it (it's not just for floppies any more), but I'd make finding the original source of the corruption a priority.
So this is on multiple hard drives, currently an 120GB SSD connected via an IDE to SATA board on the FastATA. I formatted it via the system (3.1.4 kickstart, and the 3.1.4 install disk) then moved it over to my desktop system and copied over my backup through WinUAE. Then moved it back over to the Amiga, and the system came with 3.0 and the Toaster software already installed, so I upgraded it to 3.1.4 with the disks (haven't installed the 3.1.4.1 update yet), rebooted and checksum error. It booted to the disk just fine before 3.1.4. But this is the second drive I've been using and I even ordered a brand new one (should be coming in the next day or two).

Where is diskdoctor at so I can test to see if that fixes it (I'm guessing it will).
Only thing I changed when formatting it was the buffers. Weirdly the last two times I booted it up, the keyboard was janky and wouldn't work, with a flashing caps lock. I unplugged the power after turning it off, unplugged the keyboard, plugged it back in and the power then booted it back up and now it seems fine again. Go figure.

Kind of thinking this system might need a recap, but it's been pretty stable so far (more than my other 4000 was before it was recapped).
Ha, the joys of troubleshooting old hardware. Actually I really should create a new thread for this issue....

Edit: http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=99127 for the different thread...

Last edited by slaapliedje; 11 October 2019 at 00:20. Reason: created new thread to not bog down this one...
Old 11 October 2019, 00:22   #2360
slaapliedje

Ha, in all my work to get my new system up, I've got to ask this....
Does constantly swapping the Gotek images around while searching for a disk cause any issues? I mean it seems to me that it waits a few seconds before it considers a disk 'inserted', but if you were slow enough, the Amiga would probably think you're sitting there putting in a disk and ripping it back out again and again, right?